Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-14 02:38:35

Csquared08
Sing my song and become nothing.

Csquared's Fic Recommendation of the Every Other Day

Wait, what's this? More fics from Csquared, you say?

Well, if you're saying that, you'd be right. But whereas the other topic is just what I'm reading, this is an actual recommendation. As in, go read this. Please and thank you.

So, without further ado, our first recommendation:

The End of Ponies
TheEndofPonies.png
Author: shortskirtsandexplosions

My rating: 6/6

My thoughts: This is easily my favorite fic. In fact, if this were published work, it would be among my top 5 stories (series count as one for these purposes) I've read. The writing is incredibly well thought out. Each lengthy, beautiful description serves a purpose. Nothing is left described and unused. And then the action scenes are written with such skill that I can just about watch it unfold in front of my eyes. But the best part? The characterization. The journals, in particular, of The Last Pony (names would be spoilers, no? tongue ) give us great insight on his/her character development as he/she was wandered the post-Cataclysm Wastelands of Equestria. As for the plot, the subplots of each character arc are so very interesting that I don't even care that after more than 500k words I know very little of what is going on with the supposed main plot.

My verdict: Read this. Read it NOW! If you already have, uh, read it again? big_smile

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, comment, and give a thumb and favorite if applicable. Maybe even a watch to the author.

NOW READ! big_smile

"If all I care about in life is the imprints I make in this world, then the most I'll ever leave is a grave." - Lyra, Background Pony
Flutterlicious_Banner_Csquared08_Gift.png

#2 2012-08-15 02:06:43

obcom
Hero

Re: Csquared's Fic Recommendation of the Every Other Day

While I appreciate the grittier fics as much as the next person, I find myself wondering if you are able to recommend any fics that are more light-hearted and fun?

#3 2012-08-15 02:08:03

Csquared08

obcom wrote:

While I appreciate the grittier fics as much as the next person, I find myself wondering if you are able to recommend any fics that are more light-hearted and fun?

But... but... How can you say all the fics are going to be Dark and Tragic and such if I've only recommended one fic so far? ._.

"If all I care about in life is the imprints I make in this world, then the most I'll ever leave is a grave." - Lyra, Background Pony

#4 2012-08-15 02:09:12

obcom
Hero

Csquared08 wrote:
obcom wrote:

But... but... How can you say all the fics are going to be Dark and Tragic and such if I've only recommended one fic so far? ._.

Because there has only been one fic! Therefore, all of the fics you have suggested are dark and tragic!

#5 2012-08-15 02:10:43

Csquared08

obcom wrote:
Csquared08 wrote:
obcom wrote:

Because there has only been one fic! Therefore, all of the fics you have suggested are dark and tragic!

That's one fic against 228 others. The odds, based on that alone, aren't in your favor.

#6 2012-08-15 02:14:26

obcom
Hero

Csquared08 wrote:
obcom wrote:
Csquared08 wrote:

That's one fic against 228 others. The odds, based on that alone, aren't in your favor.

But I came to this fic to find your recommendations, friend, and so far there has only been one! If there are 228 others on the sidelines, I will gladly wait for you to address them in their own individual posts!

You can say that you were referring to the posts left in the "What are you reading now?" thread, but I don't think those snippets are enough to constitute a full recommendation! Surely each one deserves the attention that "The End of Ponies" has received if you are recommending them!

#7 2012-08-15 02:15:56

Csquared08

obcom wrote:
Csquared08 wrote:
obcom wrote:

But I came to this fic to find your recommendations, friend, and so far there has only been one! If there are 228 others on the sidelines, I will gladly wait for you to address them in their own individual posts!

You can say that you were referring to the posts left in the "What are you reading now?" thread, but I don't think those snippets are enough to constitute a full recommendation! Surely each one deserves the attention that "The End of Ponies" has received if you are recommending them!

And thus my elaborate plan for posting in this thread has succeeded! Mwahahaha!

#8 2012-08-15 02:17:26

obcom
Hero

Csquared08 wrote:
obcom wrote:
Csquared08 wrote:

That's an easy out, my friend, an easy out! I offered to post in the thread my exact thoughts on your recommendation earlier this very evening but was only dissuaded by your own statement that such repetition was not necessary!

you fiend.

#9 2012-08-15 02:19:21

Csquared08

obcom wrote:
Csquared08 wrote:
obcom wrote:

That's an easy out, my friend, an easy out! I offered to post in the thread my exact thoughts on your recommendation earlier this very evening but was only dissuaded by your own statement that such repetition was not necessary!

you fiend.

Okay, okay, you got me. Dark and tragic and sad and depressing stories are my favorites. Gloom and doom FTW and all that jazz. You'll get a happier fic on Thursday. No apocalypse this time around ._.

#10 2012-08-15 02:23:32

Csquared08

OH!

I forgot to mention this back in the recommendation, but The End of Ponies has its own fan-created song! Enjoy!

#11 2012-08-15 05:52:41

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Csquared08 wrote:

OH!

I forgot to mention this back in the recommendation, but The End of Ponies has its own fan-created song! Enjoy!

I love that song and been meaning to read End of Ponies at some point.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#12 2012-08-15 09:12:44

Csquared08

Arcane Flame wrote:
Csquared08 wrote:

OH!

I love that song and been meaning to read End of Ponies at some point.

DO IT! big_smile

#13 2012-08-15 23:24:41

Csquared08

Oh well lookie there! It's Thursday. Time for another recommendation. What horribly dark, tragic, and/or sad fic do I have for you to-

Csquared08 wrote:

You'll get a happier fic on Thursday. No apocalypse this time around ._.

Confound these agreements I make! I guess gloom and doom will have to wait until Saturday... Sigh...

Now then... Happy... Hmmm... Not that one... That one's too sad... Oh dear... Um... A-ha!

Extremely Terrible and Horrifying Stories

ExtremelyTerribleandHorrifyingStories.png

Author: RatherHomely

My rating: 5/6

My thoughts: Don't let the title fool you. These are neither terrible nor horrifying. They are in fact absolutely hilarious. The author's vain attempts to create a horror/gore fic are hilarious. And I'm fully convinced his spinner has only Rainbow Dash on it. So the way these stories work, The Author (an actual character) tries to get the Mane 6 to act out a horror/gore fic for him to write. Needless to say, nothing goes as he expects and hilarity ensues. One of the best comedies I've read (currently #5 comedy). The scenes in between stories are hilarious as well, where the Mane 6 complain about the situations they're forced into.

My verdict: If you like zany, wacky humor, this one's for you. Even if it's not, give it a shot anyway big_smile

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, comment, and give a thumb and favorite if applicable. Maybe even a watch to the author. And if you wouldn't mind giving me your thoughts here, that'd be nice too (obviously it's more important to give those thoughts to the author). But if you give thoughts to me, I may be inclined to recommend fics based on those thoughts.

NOW READ big_smile

#14 2012-08-16 00:26:15

obcom
Hero

I just plowed through that entire story, so I guess that means I thought it was good. It was a funny, light-hearted story that didn't take itself seriously and presented many hilarious situations.

#15 2012-08-16 00:28:52

Csquared08

obcom wrote:

I just plowed through that entire story, so I guess that means I thought it was good. It was a funny, light-hearted story that didn't take itself seriously and presented many hilarious situations.

Glad you liked it! Make sure you tell RatherHomely you like it too! Give him a thumb and favorite if applicable! GOGOGO! big_smile

#16 2012-08-16 00:35:53

obcom
Hero

Csquared08 wrote:
obcom wrote:

Glad you liked it! Make sure you tell RatherHomely you like it too! Give him a thumb and favorite if applicable! GOGOGO! big_smile

I went ravenous fanboy on that page.

#17 2012-08-18 01:05:53

Csquared08

Note: I neglected to give more specific ratings for the previous fics. As of posting...
The End of Ponies - 1/229
Extremely Terrible and Horrifying Stories - 77/229

And now back to recommendations, now returning to the usual amounts of gloom and doom!

Simply Rarity

SimplyRarity.png

Author: Somber

My rating: 6/6 - 9/229

My thoughts: Holy sweet mother of Celestia did this fic make me cry. Before this fic, I really didn't think much of Rarity. Fashion has never appealed to me, nor have the overly dramatic actions she tends to take. I mean, sure, I liked her, but not enough to make her really move beyond the middling realm of mediocrity in my lists of favorite ponies. Then I read this fic. It was an excellently written series of diary entries taking us through Rarity's childhood. The stuff she had been through, the things she had to deal with, the sacrifices she had to make, all of them were written in such a way that the reader doesn't have to stop and think in order to sympathize with the emotional impact of everything. Instead, the emotional impact is felt naturally, and strongly, I might add. Needless to say, Rarity moved up quite a few spots in my rankings thanks to this fic.

My verdict: As you can see, even if you're not a big Rarity fan, you can still enjoy this fic, so I strongly recommend it for this group of people. For Rarity fans, on the other hoof, WHY IN CELESTIA'S NAME HAVE YOU NOT YET READ THIS!?

My demands, er requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, uh, well, all you can do is comment, so do that!

NOW READ big_smile

#18 2012-08-18 01:56:01

obcom
Hero

I am by no stretch of the imagination a fan of Rarity. I have only watched some episodes revolving around her, like Sisterhooves Social and Dog and Pony Show, twice. Once to actually SEE the episode and another time to see if I was just being hyper-critical. I can't say that this fic has changed any of that, but I can appreciate a good piece of writing. Unlike some other stories, I would say that Simply Rarity deserves that Sad tag and got more emotions out of me than MLD.

#19 2012-08-18 01:58:01

Csquared08

obcom wrote:

I am by no stretch of the imagination a fan of Rarity. I have only watched some episodes revolving around her, like Sisterhooves Social and Dog and Pony Show, twice. Once to actually SEE the episode and another time to see if I was just being hyper-critical. I can't say that this fic has changed any of that, but I can appreciate a good piece of writing. Unlike some other stories, I would say that Simply Rarity deserves that Sad tag and got more emotions out of me than MLD.

Fair enough and glad you enjoyed it.

(You should go read The End of Ponies now big_smile )

Last edited by Csquared08 (2012-08-18 01:59:07)

#20 2012-08-20 02:19:07

Csquared08

So this is the 4th recommendation. After 3 regular, single fic recommendations, I'll recommend anywhere from 2-4 short fics (under 3.5k words). Because short fics are short.

So, short fics time!

Happy Birthday to You

HappyBirthdayToYou.png

Author: n

My rating: 6/6 - 25/229

My thoughts: Turns out my comment on the story works pretty well for my purposes here.
"'Do you like it?'
Yes, yes I do.
That was incredibly well-written and very effective at causing feels. It wouldn't have worked, though, if it hadn't been for the repetition of "Do you like it?" That created within the reader the same sense of obsession that the narrator felt. It connected the reader to the narrator. It also made the story seem almost haunted, or maybe depressing is a better word. Nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Well done, sir."

My verdict: As a big fan of Sad fics, I strongly recommend this fic. It's short and effective, well worth the read.

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, comment, and give a thumb and favorite if applicable. Maybe even a watch to the author.

Waiting

Waiting.png

Author: Tayman

My rating: 5/6 - 38/229

My thoughts: I love my comments. They save me work.
"Wow... That was incredibly depressing. And terrifying, in a way. That vast... emptiness, if that's the right word, makes simply bleeping out of existence terrifying, but it also makes existing forever terrifying.
In any event, that was well-written, effective, and enjoyable (if a somewhat perverse enjoyment). Well done."
Yep, this fic left me questioning many things... hmm

My verdict: If you like questioning things regarding existence, this is the fic for you. If you like depressing stories like I do, this is the fic for you. If you enjoy solid writing regardless of subject matter, this is the fic for you.

Memorial

Memorial.png

Author: Buxton

My rating: 5/6 - 78/229

My thoughts: A nice little Derpy fic dealing with how she's dealt with the death of her mom many years ago. The flashbacks work well, and despite being short, everything that needs to be said is said, and said well. Clear, concise, and feel-inducing. The only thing I really wish for is to know what's in that book of hers...

My verdict: Like sad fics? Like Derpy? If the answer to either was yes, then this is good for you. If neither answer was yes, then ask yourself if you have a free10 or so minutes. If you do, read this. It's short and worth the read.

My demands, er requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, uh, well, all you can do is comment, so do that!

NOW READ big_smile

Last edited by Csquared08 (2012-08-20 02:21:38)

#21 2012-08-20 06:25:58

Jinzo
The veteran of many pretend wars

Eh let me know when you review cupcakes then uhmm ya. Also I swear one day i will convince Razor to dramatically read said fic!

sprocket_zpsecd406b8.png
"The world needs more Bronies" - John de Lancie
Twitter @JinzoDefiler

#22 2012-08-20 12:05:20

Csquared08

Jinzo wrote:

Eh let me know when you review cupcakes then uhmm ya. Also I swear one day i will convince Razor to dramatically read said fic!

But... recommending Cupcakes requires me to like it a decent amount! Well, I might recommend it after I run out of other stuff... So it'll be a while.

#23 2012-08-20 13:12:32

Jinzo
The veteran of many pretend wars

Haha

sprocket_zpsecd406b8.png
"The world needs more Bronies" - John de Lancie
Twitter @JinzoDefiler

#24 2012-08-20 13:47:51

Csquared08

In the meantime, read these stories instead! big_smile

#25 2012-08-21 23:47:10

Csquared08

Epic adventures are epic. So here's an awesome adventure for ya:

Ponytales (It's Dangerous Business, Going Out Your Door)

Ponytales.png

Jetfire

My rating: 6/6 - 5/236

My thoughts: A grand tale of epic proportions and feels very much like Lord of the Rings, with elements similar to Rohan and Galadriel. Starring Applejack, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash, the story takes the three on a journey far outside the borders of Equestria to find a mystical herb that will cure Twilight of her horn rot (a potentially fatal illness for unicorns). Along the way, they meet all sorts of interesting foreigners, come to realize their full potential as elements, and realize just how good of friends they really are. Friendshipping is awesome and renders shipping as a means of relationship building silly and forced. Personal (but accurate [okay, I'll stop]) preferences aside, this story is awesome.

My verdict: If you like grand adventures with a host of interesting characters, this story is for you. Even if you don't, I strongly recommend reading this story because it's just that awesome.

NOW READ big_smile

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB