Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-01 22:37:19

Midnight_Fyre

Carving ponies in stone

Edit 9/25/13: Check the bottom for new artz

I know I have another thread with a pony sculpture, but I'm basically taking pony art to the next level here so I figured a new thread was in order.  I started carving Pinkamena in alabaster in early July and finally got her finished yesterday.  She weighs about 2.5 pounds, down from a rock that originally weighed about 8 pounds, and stands about 4.75" tall.  I left the raised eyelashes and parts of the eyes rough so they stand out better, but polished the rest with car wax after sanding it smooth.  To make her I used a hammer and chisel for the roughest work, rasps for more general shaping, and rifflers and diamond files for more detailed work.  The right eye hangs a bit further down than the left because I had a really hard time carving that side, due to her mane getting in the way of my tools.  Also, the muzzle is smaller than I originally intended it to be because I didn't like how the mouth was coming out so I shaved off all the rock around it.  Alabaster has a hardness of about 2.5, which is harder than soapstone, which has a hardness of about 1, and softer than marble, which has a hardness of about 3.5.  The bottom pick shows the rock before I carved it (the one on the left).  And here it is on Deviant Art: http://archiveit1.deviantart.com/#/d5dd0r8

scaled.php?server=811&filename=dsc5757a.jpg&res=landing
scaled.php?server=411&filename=dsc5758a.jpg&res=landing
scaled.php?server=407&filename=dsc5759a.jpg&res=landing
scaled.php?server=194&filename=dsc5761a.jpg&res=landing
scaled.php?server=545&filename=dsc5762a.jpg&res=landing
scaled.php?server=803&filename=img7728.jpg&res=landing
scaled.php?server=593&filename=img0119ano.jpg&res=landing

Last edited by Midnight_Fyre (2013-09-25 19:14:59)

#2 2012-09-01 23:11:11

Mkanke
Peanut Buckering ALL the things!
Mkanke Trotter

Re: Carving ponies in stone

Very cool man. I have done a stone sculpture before and kinda want to do it again now. I would just have to go out and buy myself a nice size of soapstone and get carving smile

yZVDO6p.gifD4LwTWC.gifulgdssl.gifLi4qREa.gifUyOaK2h.gif

#3 2012-09-01 23:25:58

Midnight_Fyre

Mkanke wrote:

Very cool man. I have done a stone sculpture before and kinda want to do it again now. I would just have to go out and buy myself a nice size of soapstone and get carving smile

Do it.  I found the whole experience quite fun and rewarding.

#4 2012-09-01 23:38:55

Csquared08
Sing my song and become nothing.

yikes
That's awesome!

"If all I care about in life is the imprints I make in this world, then the most I'll ever leave is a grave." - Lyra, Background Pony
Flutterlicious_Banner_Csquared08_Gift.png

#5 2012-09-02 00:25:37

Fire Blossom

cool

TwitterPonies:Fire Blossom, Silver Note
thorn_standing_r_by_lewa008-d7xmgr5.gifblossom_looking_nice_l_by_lewa008-d7xmh01.gif

#6 2012-09-02 02:21:22

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

That is awesome, very well done smile

I walk a thin line between insane and completely out of my mind.
Normal is boring.

#7 2012-09-02 04:01:40

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Very Awesome!

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#8 2012-09-02 19:24:19

Midnight_Fyre

Thank you very much, everyone who likes it.

#9 2012-09-02 19:30:30

Mkanke
Mkanke Trotter

Yeah I carved an octopus thing a while back out of soapstone. Its pretty fun to use and cheap but pretty soft so you can't do overhangs to well. How is Alabaster? Really soft, hard or somewhere in between?

#10 2012-09-02 21:34:13

Midnight_Fyre

Mkanke wrote:

Yeah I carved an octopus thing a while back out of soapstone. Its pretty fun to use and cheap but pretty soft so you can't do overhangs to well. How is Alabaster? Really soft, hard or somewhere in between?

I've never really tried carving soapstone, or any other rock, but I know that alabaster has a hardness about midway between soapstone and marble, which does put it on the relatively softer side.  I wouldn't try anything too complex with it like one might do with marble, just because it may lack the hardness to really support it, but at my stage I don't think I'm capable of anything that complex anyway.  It seemed to hold up well enough in the finer details like the eyelashes.  Marble itself isn't even that hard compared to rocks like granite or onyx.  I was actually able to use wood chisels on it pretty well and didn't always need a hammer with them if I was just scraping the surface a little, though most of the work was done with rasps and rifflers, just because it isn't a very large stone so it didn't take too long before I got into the parts where details matter.  After I use up the next piece of alabaster I have (I bought two at once), I'd like to try marble and see how it compares.  I would definitely recommend having some good chisels, rasps, and rifflers at hand if you are going to try alabaster.  It's not too hard, but does require more work than soapstone.

Last edited by Midnight_Fyre (2012-09-02 21:37:52)

#11 2012-09-02 22:41:12

andapanda
FluxBB bbcode test

wow that was a pretty coal idea and it looks really gneiss. Unfortunately I hit Rock-bottom recently otherwise I would talc to you about chiseling me a little pony statue ore something.

you better shrek yo self before you dreck yo self

FluxBB bbcode test

#12 2012-09-02 23:10:50

Midnight_Fyre

andapanda wrote:

wow that was a pretty coal idea and it looks really gneiss. Unfortunately I hit Rock-bottom recently otherwise I would talc to you about chiseling me a little pony statue ore something.

I think we have a new best post ever.

#13 2012-09-03 00:32:19

Mkanke
Mkanke Trotter

Yeah soapstone is ridiculously soft. I mean the tools we were handed to carve the stuff in class were broken hacksaw blades to use as handsaws and butter knifes. Both of which worked really well at cutting through it... How much is Alabaster. Is it that much?

#14 2012-09-03 01:08:57

Midnight_Fyre

It's not very expensive.  I got mine from here http://www.2sculpt.com/stone/alabaster.html.  This piece was the "salmon" variety and weighed about eight pounds to start with, so the rock was only $12. I had originally asked for the "peach", which is more of a purple color and I was going to carve Twilight, but he didn't have any in that was as small as I was looking for, so he suggested that stone to me and I took it, and when I finally got it in front of me I knew it had to become Pinkamena.

#15 2012-09-03 01:20:49

chaoticpix93
This Space Left Unintentionally Blank

This is just so neat!!! Gah, so much awesome.

This Space for Sale!

My DeviantArt

#16 2012-09-03 10:28:43

Mkanke
Mkanke Trotter

That's not bad at all! Price wise that is smile I favorited the site so I can go pick some up someday when I have the time and money big_smile

#17 2012-09-09 03:34:21

Brickule

#18 2012-09-09 10:21:14

razza
better than u

it is pinkie an therefore i love it

qkKhugh.png

#19 2012-09-09 12:08:00

Midnight_Fyre

I have to say, I was pretty shocked to come home from work last night to discover my work on the front page of Equestria Daily.

#20 2012-09-09 12:29:17

Brickule

Midnight_Fyre wrote:

I have to say, I was pretty shocked to come home from work last night to discover my work on the front page of Equestria Daily.

You Deserved it! It looks amazing.

#21 2012-09-09 12:46:20

Csquared08
Sing my song and become nothing.

Midnight_Fyre wrote:

Nicely done!

"If all I care about in life is the imprints I make in this world, then the most I'll ever leave is a grave." - Lyra, Background Pony
Flutterlicious_Banner_Csquared08_Gift.png

#22 2012-09-14 04:35:09

Marlon
Banned

to rejoice Venezuela's 2 hundredth independence anniversary. replica watches for sale replica watches for sale Creation will likely be constrained to 19 parts rolex datejust 11 : replica rolex datejust mens rolex 116333 10 in rose gold and 9 in platinum. The again in the check out bears an engraving, rolex submariner 16613 rolex chain cheap fake rolex cheap fake rolex gold rolex submariner which incorporates the variety 19 representing the day during which Venezuela declares its independence, April nineteenth, rolex wholesale gifts for bridesmaids 1810. Venezuela's war for independence (18111823) was the very first in Latin America's independence motion beneath the management of South American Standard, Simon Bolivar. It had been portion of a sequence of associated emancipation actions during Latin The united states. The Venezuelan war was integral to other South American wars of independence as army and political collaboration amongst nations was typical

#23 2013-06-05 22:49:14

Midnight_Fyre

Here is my second attempt at carving stone.  The stone is selenite, which is a form of gypsum (hardness of 2).  It didn't turn out as well as I had hoped because the stone was soft and had a crystal structure that broke apart easily, making it sort of crumbly and difficult to create good details.  It's about 3.5 inches across the longest side and took me 10-11 hours to do.

http://archiveit1.deviantart.com/art/Ce … -376180377

celestia_carved_in_selenite_by_archiveit1-d67yumx.jpg

Last edited by Midnight_Fyre (2013-06-05 22:51:26)

#24 2013-09-25 16:02:06

Midnight_Fyre

Here is my third stone sculpture and my first in marble.  Twilight measures about 9.25 inches tall and weighs 10 pounds, down from an original block that weighed about 20.5 pounds, and took about 85 hours to carve.  Marble has a hardness of about 3.5 and was much tougher to carve than either of the previous two sculptures in softer stone. 

http://archiveit1.deviantart.com/art/Tw … -402857930

And here is a short video of me working on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSwYmpktj3M

twilight_sparkle_marble_sculpture_by_archiveit1-d6nun62.png

Last edited by Midnight_Fyre (2013-09-25 19:16:30)

#25 2013-09-25 21:33:17

Rekibrony
Luna Fan Club Member

Wow... That is flat out amazing.That is a beautiful sculpture. I'm amazed with anyone who can make something like that. Keep up the good work!

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB