#26 2013-02-08 06:16:55

Mkanke
Peanut Buckering ALL the things!
Mkanke Trotter

Re: IDW's MLP:FiM Comic

LewaColt wrote:
Arct1k wrote:
edinpony wrote:

Update: went and purchased in an actual comic book store. Was amazing. Regret nothing.

Those still exist?

I get mine from Bill's Comics and books

I get mine from Dave's Clubhouse in Reynoldsburg and sometimes Superfly comics in Yellow Springs.

yZVDO6p.gifD4LwTWC.gifulgdssl.gifLi4qREa.gifUyOaK2h.gif

#27 2013-02-08 10:22:58

edinpony
Life is an adventure!

Arct1k wrote:
edinpony wrote:

Update: went and purchased in an actual comic book store. Was amazing. Regret nothing.

Those still exist?

The Laughing Ogre on High Street is where Arcane and I got ours I believe.

#28 2013-02-08 17:45:32

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

edinpony wrote:
Arct1k wrote:
edinpony wrote:

Those still exist?

Eeeeyep.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#29 2013-02-08 21:38:59

edinpony wrote:
Arct1k wrote:
edinpony wrote:

Those still exist?

Did you see they started stocking mlp toys?

#30 2013-03-05 04:12:28

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

482872_10102753991855165_1505569210_n.jpg

Look what got delivered early!
MLP #3 with the Special Lyra Heartstrings Cover.
♪♫ When Lyrish Eyes Are Smiling... ♫♪ tongue

Probably going to keep it in the plastic to protect it and just wait until Wednesday to pick up a reading copy. I half want to put it in a frame mostly because I love the art.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#31 2013-03-05 07:13:47

OleGrayMane
Third Act Pony

I see the plan now: Spike distracts Lyra so Twilight can make a move on Bon Bon.

Timely cover.

#32 2013-03-06 21:16:25

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Thoughts on the Micro-series

Twilight Sparkle:

Was kind of meh - I liked the J.D. Salinger as a pony story and the covers involving Fan-fiction. I was kind of surprised by an apparent reference to The End of Ponies where Twilight discussing post apocalyptic worlds such as that of 'I have no snout, yet I must whinny' says:

Twilight Sparkle wrote:

Twi: It just seems to me that the point of having of having all those diverse ponies at the end isn't a telling statement. It's just as likely that at the end of the world, a pegasus would survive.
Summer Mane: That's very insightful.
Twi: Thank you, and it doesn't take away from 'I Have No Snout Yet I Must Whinny' being a great book, of course.

MLP #4

I really liked the ending and the surprise Celestia & Spike side story bit. I don't want to spoil it but I liked the surprise appearance of a very beat up Celestia and Spike. Also adored the Horror films references.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#33 2013-03-06 22:48:47

chaoticpix93
This Space Left Unintentionally Blank

Gonna have to pick that up sometime. Is this thing a once a month comic then? >.<

This Space for Sale!

My DeviantArt

#34 2013-03-06 22:51:27

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

chaoticpix93 wrote:

Gonna have to pick that up sometime. Is this thing a once a month comic then? >.<

Yep they're scheduled as monthlys.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#35 2013-03-07 04:22:59

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Oktoberfest wrote:

Ha! Figured out spoiler text! Seriously, don't click the spoiler text if you haven't read the comic yet.
... If you haven't seen the comics yet, STOP READING THIS!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Twilight reeeeeeally needs to be taken down a few pegs. Was hoping the comic would be a welcome reprieve from the show; but now Twi doesn't even need the EoH to fight the big bad. So much for Mighty Morphin' Pony Rangers.
Granted this is coming from a guy that likes Lesson Zero and Feelin' Pinkie Keen Twilight Sparkle.

!!!!!!!!!

We now return to regularly scheduled Game Grumps, already in progress.

fix't for spoilers

To be fair though her magic was massively spiked by the comet passing overhead and the encouragement of her friends.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#36 2013-03-07 10:39:22

edinpony
Life is an adventure!

I picked up the #4 and the Twilight micro at Laughing Ogre yesterday. The staff there were unexpectedly rude which was a bit of a downer, but the comics were both great!

#37 2013-03-07 21:38:44

edinpony wrote:

I picked up the #4 and the Twilight micro at Laughing Ogre yesterday. The staff there were unexpectedly rude which was a bit of a downer, but the comics were both great!

I find em kinda rude too. I all ways feel like they think I'm stealing.

#38 2013-03-07 22:51:19

Midnight_Fyre

CappuccinoFrosting wrote:
edinpony wrote:

That sucks.  The guy at my local comic book store seems pretty friendly.  I went in to get the Twilight micro-series on a day when I could tell he was having a really rough time and he was still very nice with me. 

As for the comic, really liked it and I'm looking forward to more.  I think I chuckled nearly every time there was dialog between the CMC and Chrysalis.  A lot of great references this time too, especially on the page with the doors.

I found the micro-series to be kinda underwhelming, though it had its moments.  It definitely lacked a lot of the great visuals of the main comic.

#39 2013-03-07 23:38:55

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

edinpony wrote:

How often do you go there?

They seemed kind of rude to me a first too but now they seem rather nice - even handing me a copy of the Microseries when I walked in. I think they're suspicious of newish people but they seem to get better when they see that you're going to be a regular.

Helped that I came in there a bit before the DC reboot (although dropped off comics after that happened - mostly pissed that the books and characters I had been following such as the Justice Society of America were being canned, plots dropped, and furthermore utterly retconned out of existence due to the appearacne of Super Heroes being a 'recent' thing in the DCU now), occasionally came in to get trades, and had a conversation with Heather Breckel in the shop.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#40 2013-03-08 10:17:35

Mkanke
Peanut Buckering ALL the things!
Mkanke Trotter

My comic shop (Daves Clubhouse Reynoldsburg) is pretty much really nice to everyone unless you linger around the bathroom area to long as thats the only place they can't see from the checkout counter AKA where basically all theft there happens. Other than that they are great. Heck they had my copy's of pony right behind the desk to hand me right when I walked in and I've only been there like 3 times : p

Helps that basically all but maybe 1 employee is family. Heck even the guys mom comes in to work from time to time smile

It is VERY understandable for a small business that deals with a good volume of teenage to young adult customers to give you the close watch your first few times in though. I used to hang out at a local video game store and theft was always a big problem with the 14-16 year old male range. The kids were even stupid enough to steal the empty boxes off the shelves. This still hurt the place as they had to make cases for them then and couldn't even sell their new games as 'new' anymore because it had a non-retail case... Holy crap I must be bored, it looks like I started a dissertation here >.>

yZVDO6p.gifD4LwTWC.gifulgdssl.gifLi4qREa.gifUyOaK2h.gif

#41 2013-03-08 11:00:22

DerbyGirl
Should switch to DerpyGirl. Derpy is Epic.

I don't have a comic store near me, so have been buying from Hot Topic (still a little drive, but not too bad.)...for the micro series, had to go to Pack Rat Comics in Hilliard. (which is my first time ever going into a comic book store, and was awed at the epicness.) Totally worth the drive for them all. The micro series, not quite as good, but still a nice "slice of life" story that is a bit more suitable for my younger siblings than the actual comic books.

My OCs are crazy ponehs....
aLXueo2.png?1FKDTliy.png?1
(art credit to a fellow dA'er, Cerynitian. Good times, good times. xD)

#42 2013-03-08 13:30:50

Arcane Flame wrote:
edinpony wrote:

They seemed kind of rude to me a first too but now they seem rather nice - even handing me a copy of the Microseries when I walked in. I think they're suspicious of newish people but they seem to get better when they see that you're going to be a regular.

Helped that I came in there a bit before the DC reboot (although dropped off comics after that happened - mostly pissed that the books and characters I had been following such as the Justice Society of America were being canned, plots dropped, and furthermore utterly retconned out of existence due to the appearacne of Super Heroes being a 'recent' thing in the DCU now), occasionally came in to get trades, and had a conversation with Heather Breckel in the shop.

I got about 3 times a month. One guys is always really nice and has even opened up early for me on a Sunday, but some of the other guys I just feel like I am being watched at all times.

#43 2013-03-08 15:14:32

Alex the Quagga
Psyche ward escapee

Arcane Flame wrote:
edinpony wrote:

I was in the Laughing Ogre yesterday setting up a comic pull and the owner couldn't have been nicer. He even helped us out on several questions. I've been there a lot over the years but only recently on a regular basis to which we plan on making it a regular thing now since they are the best shop within driving distance of us. Almost every time we're in there he talks about our Gir hoodies and tells us about Jhonen Vasquez visiting his shop awhile back.

I REJECT YOUR INSANITY AND SUBSTITUTE IT WITH MY OWN!

pinkie_pie_the_hacker_by_moongazeponies-d3fzrpz-1.jpg

#44 2013-03-10 23:39:40

Laughing Ogre has always been super nice and helpful to me, even prior to knowing who I was. (I didn't tell them who I was until MLP came out)

If you guys want your MLP books signed or are even looking for an excuse to go to the comic store to buy the MLP comics, I'll be at Packrat Comics in Hilliard during their Table Top Game Day Event on March 30th to help out a local artist. I'll be signing books and might be doing sketches http://packratcomics.com/2013/03/08/tab … -march-30/ I've also talked with Laughing Ogre about doing an MLP event but nothing's been planned yet.

#45 2013-03-11 02:12:36

Bigjoe
Average Joe

Heather Breckel wrote:

Laughing Ogre has always been super nice and helpful to me, even prior to knowing who I was. (I didn't tell them who I was until MLP came out)

If you guys want your MLP books signed or are even looking for an excuse to go to the comic store to buy the MLP comics, I'll be at Packrat Comics in Hilliard during their Table Top Game Day Event on March 30th to help out a local artist. I'll be signing books and might be doing sketches http://packratcomics.com/2013/03/08/tab … -march-30/ I've also talked with Laughing Ogre about doing an MLP event but nothing's been planned yet.

That's really awesome. I might go, even though I'm about two hours away. Also, if that MLP event could be planned, that would be another really awesome event! I second this.

#46 2013-03-11 16:14:38

Alex the Quagga
Psyche ward escapee

Heather Breckel wrote:

ERMAHGERD!!! Would you sign one of my Godzilla: Half Century comics too? =3 Never been to Packrat comics yet but I'll take any opportunity to visit a comic shop I've never been to.

#47 2013-03-11 16:45:37

Sure thing! I've worked on Godzilla Half Century War, Peter Panzerfaust, and Number 13 in addition to MLP so I can sign any of them! (I'm only on 6+ of Panzerfaust and 2+ on Number 13)

#48 2013-03-11 17:40:11

Alex the Quagga
Psyche ward escapee

Heather Breckel wrote:

Sure thing! I've worked on Godzilla Half Century War, Peter Panzerfaust, and Number 13 in addition to MLP so I can sign any of them! (I'm only on 6+ of Panzerfaust and 2+ on Number 13)

AWESOME!!! You are too cool look forward to seeing ya there. ^.^

#49 2013-04-05 13:37:54

kexx

Arcane Flame wrote:
edinpony wrote:

They were pretty nice to me my first few times going in (which was good cause I was really afraid as a girl), but the guy did seem to want to get me out in a hurry each time. And sort of watching me. I really like to browse and randomly pick up things sometimes so that was a bit uncomfortable. Now they seem to recognize me a bit so it doesn't feel so much like they're all over me. I think I'm gonna head over there now to see if they got any copies of 2 and 3 cause they only had 1 the first time I went in and 1/4 the next so I have those. :T Gotta look for more AT as well.

#50 2013-04-05 19:51:59

Zanistor
Soul of Space

They overall seem indifferent/nice to me, but I've gone in a couple times and my dad i think talks to them on a somewhat regular basis. but idk considering we don't get to go to Columbus all that often. But everytime I come in they do seem to have one of the less common variant covers available for me to snag big_smile

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB