Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-09 21:43:13

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Thor: the Dark World

So saw Thor: The Dark World

It had a sense of fun, enjoyability, and adventure that I like to see from most superhero films. That said I have some nitpicks - I kind of don't like the Game of Thrones feel that Alan Taylor tried to bring to the table I think it slightly clashes with the setting. Thor's world is very high fantasy and lots of wondrous things that are grounded in mythology happen. Whereas GoT/Saga of Fire & Ice are very low fantasy and pulls a lot from real life British History with the odd fantastic moments thrown in.

The first films more mythic/semi-shakespearian tone fit the world a bit better and Asgard seem grand, epic, and very mythic in tone Vs. this film which treated it as like just another city. Odin also seemed a lot less grand - less the King of the Gods and more down to earth monarch. In fact there is a throwaway bit about them not being gods because they only live 5,000 or so years but they still call humans mortals and see them as unfit to walk their godly halls (And of course this makes no sense since immortality isn't necessary for gods - Buddhism's gods live thousands to multi-billion years + (depending on type) and correct me if I'm wrong the gods in Norse Mythology have limited lifespans as well).

This tone problem kind of summarizes the main problem of the film it fells pulled in different directions at times. It wants to bring things down to earth when the story is rocketing to the stars and some thing just don't have the gravitas they need like the convergence abnormalities and portals between worlds opening in the sky. They feel more 'oh, neat.' instead of 'HOLY HEL!'.

Also the people in London seemed way too OK with all the crazy shit happening - a spaceship smashing down, elves running about, portals and epic level crap. I kind of expect it from the Nu-Who version of London since after a bunch of major attacks and stuff they got used to it and started doing Genre Savvy things like mostly evacuating London at Christmas because something always attacks in Christmas (Voyage of the Damned).

But that was earned. In the Marvel universe the Battle of New York happened but that was in America and a rather single time event not a rather than a near common occurrence as the Doctor Who universe done with all the fantastic attacks on London. (Though would have been funny if someone was hoping the Doctor would show up and then saw that a guy looking like #9 was trying to bring about Eternal Night).

Overall the film was a fun romp and billions of times better than say 'Man of Steel' which seemed set out to murder and torture any sense of fun or triviality whatsoever.

Also since this movie involves Thor fighting a villain who wants to bring about Eternal Night a pony image of Mjolna seems appropriate to end this with:

mjolna_by_tajarnia-d54r1zv.png

Art Sauce: http://tajarnia.deviantart.com/art/Mjolna-310311643

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#2 2013-11-14 12:32:51

Night's Honor
Itinerant Mystic

Re: Thor: the Dark World

Sounds like they overreacted to people saying that the first one was a kids' movie, which it kind of was, but what does one expect from an invincible blond guy who talks like a King James Bible?

I liked how colorful the first movie was--I played World of Warcraft for six years in part for the same reason--and actually enjoyed the corny fish-out-of-water humor. I've never had coffee at a diner that was good enough to smash the mug over, but perhaps I'm just not boisterous enough.

How was Loki treated, as a slighted and jealous brother, a deranged miser on a rampage or something else entirely?

Footnote: We know basically nothing about the Norse religion as it was actually practiced. All of the stories we have were recorded by an Icelandic poet two hundred years after everyone had converted to Christianity, and the society itself was prehistoric and near-illiterate. It's been posited that the concept of the gods being mortal and the event of Ragnarok were fantastical retellings of the religion itself dying out.

#3 2013-11-14 17:39:09

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Re: Thor: the Dark World

Loki was treated as a slighted jealous brother and was is imprisoned in a rather well furnished cell (he is a prince and his family still likes him) and later on Thor and Loki put aside their differences and team up for revenge after something rather important happens.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB