Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#1 2015-12-12 19:11:29

Midnight_Fyre

What are your thoughts on Season 5?

Now that it has been a couple weeks since the finale and we have had time to let it sink in, let's hear your thoughts on the season.

Personally, I feel like it was all over the place.  There were a handful of great episodes, some really awful ones, and a lot that are mixed.  I'll give my thoughts on some of the episodes this season in no particular order.

The good:

1. Crusaders of the Lost Mark.  This is without a doubt my favorite episode of the season.  After a lot of terrible examples of forced redemptions that don't really work, this episode actually managed to redeem an antagonist in a likely and meaningful way.  I found Diamond Tiara to be a believable and sympathetic character.  The songs were great.  Perhaps not Daniel Ingram's best work, but very good and it really fit into the story well.  I liked the songs in MMC, but they sometimes felt out of place and took away from the story, which felt rushed as a result.  In this episode the songs actually felt more like a part of the story and helped to move it along.  It didn't feel nearly as rushed, even though it was wrapping up an important arc.  And then the finale of the episode.  Even though I went in sort of expecting it, it still felt like a bit of a surprise, and the tone really fit the scene (again, unlike MMC, in which the tone of the scene where Twilight appears with wings seems sort of inconsistent with the gravity of the event). 

2. Amending Fences.  Up until this episode I thought the season was mostly lackluster.  It had a good start and there had been a couple good episodes, but there were also a lot of bad ones that really left me feeling unimpressed with the season.  Finally, almost halfway through the season, this episode aired.  I really liked seeing Twilight's interactions with her old friends, and how she tried to open up to Moondancer.  Moondancer was a great character, and I like what the writers did with Col . . . Minuette as well. 

3. The Cutie Map.  I wasn't sure how I felt about this one at first, but upon reflection I think it's a pretty great episode.  Maybe not as good as the Season 2 or 3 premiers (Yeah, I like the Crystal Empire and I can put up a pretty good defense of it).  I really respect them for trying something completely different.  This villain was a lot more psychological and ideological than previous ones, which was interesting to watch.  The final chase scene got a bit too silly for my tastes, but on the whole I think it was done very well. 

4. The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone.  Another great redemption episode.  This one actually came before Crusaders of the Lost Mark, so it was really the first one that demonstrated to me that this show can pull off a proper redemption.  It also involved some great world building and lore. 

5. Made in Manehattan.  A somewhat simple, but heartwarming, story set in a bustling backdrop.  It was nice to see Coco again, and I really like how they managed to bring everyone together in the end.  Applejack and Rarity make a good duo.

The bad:

1.  Party Pooped.  Possibly my new least favorite episode of the show.  I can't think of anything really good about it.  Most of the episode was just the same terrible joke played over and over again (the yaks, who are supposed to be foreign diplomats, see something that is not exactly the way they are used to it, and then completely flip their shit).  It makes no sense to act this way.  It makes no sense that the Mane 6 would even keep dealing with them.  The faces in this episode were way too over the top.  The occasional crazy looking face made this show charming, but there was usually some buildup to it, like in Lesson Zero, but in this episode it seemed like every other shot was some ridiculous face. 

2. Appleloosa's Most Wanted.  I don't really know how to describe this.  It is just dull and dumb.  Troubleshoes is not an interesting character.  He has a lot of problems, and not the ones the writer's intended.  The moral seems to be that some people exist to have their flaws laughed at. 

3. Castle Sweet Castle.  Predictable, and it makes the assumption that every single one of Twilight's friends is a complete idiot who doesn't know the first thing about her, nor do they care. 

4. Princess Spike.  Why do the writers hate Spike so much?  Do they sit around thinking to themselves 'let's come up with a bunch of plot contrivances to make the little guy suffer'? 

5. Tanks for the Memories.  I've seen characters act stupid before, but Rainbow Dash really takes it up to the maximum here.  There is no justification for her actions, and she gets off scot-free at the end.  People say that this episode is a metaphor for death, but without any actual death taking place the whole scenario is ridiculous. 

The ugly:

1. Slice of Life.  It had a couple good moments, but on the whole I thought it was pretty awful.  I get that it is supposed to be a unique episode for the fans, so I won't judge it along the same measure as the other episodes I disliked.  I never really liked excessive pandering in the show.  The occasional nod in the background was nice, but as time went on the writers became more blatant.  I saw little of value in this episode, and instead a bunch of pop culture references and fandom nods.  It's not what I fell in love with this show for.  Again though, I won't judge it as a normal episode because I know it isn't meant to be one.

Some other thoughts.  I like Applebloom's dream episode.  Better than sweetie Belle's, but not quite as good as Scootaloo's.  Brotherhooves Social was far from the best episode of the season, but I thought it was probably the funniest.  I'm a big fan of Maud Pie and was happy to see her again.  I also really liked Limestone Pie.  Marble doesn't interest me at all.  Lena Hall's songs blew me away.  I didn't find Starlight Glimmer's backstory to be a believable motive for her actions, nor do I find the finale to be a convincing redemption.  The alternate timelines were cool though.  Reformed Discord continues to disappoint me as a character.  Why did they have to neuter the best villain?

Last edited by Midnight_Fyre (2015-12-12 19:28:34)

#2 2015-12-12 20:05:30

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Re: What are your thoughts on Season 5?

I mostly agree. Although I'd rate 'Amending Fences' as the best of the season since it took a mostly throwaway part of the first episode of the series and built an amazing episode out of it (and brought back another G1 alumni in G4 form). Also I have a love/hate relationship with 'Slice of Life", while I hate a lot the pandering but I love that we focused on ponies other than the Main Six and the CMC because they're mostly played out. Any episodes focusing on them alone tend to have them slide back from their character development (e.g. 'Tanks for the Memories') since they've all pretty much fully developed now and work best as advisers or just out of the way.

Really pony needs new blood in the form of new characters to follow from time to time which is why the description of a certain forthcoming book gives me hope that Starlight Glimmer will take a decent role. I half think the series need to really change or die for its own good to avoid becoming stale.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#3 2015-12-13 02:05:13

rpb3000
Seapony Tears and Provolone

Yeah but did you see Friendship Games? I'm looking forward to more of that sub-universe's backstory.

Wuzzit?

#4 2015-12-14 04:41:11

ZSabotage
#Urbana2012

I really liked how they became drug smugglers. I didn't really get the whole 'Outlaw Country' plot arch though.

69hGW3D.png

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB