Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-04-12 15:29:01

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Re: Free form RP?

So question then RPing with our ponysonas, wholly new characters, or canon/blind bag characters since all have been kinda touched upon?

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#27 2012-04-12 16:54:38

DashAttack
Not REDACTED

I totally used to role play wrestling when I was in high school. I'm not kidding either. We made our own wrestling personas and then did so many promos during the week and won or lost our match based on the quality. I also used to roleplay Dragon Ball Z pretty extensively with a friend around the same time.

That's about the extent of my experience, but I did it pretty frequently in high school so I'm not stranger to it. I just happened to be one of those people that "grew out of stuff like that" until MLP.

Personally, I think we should stick primarily to ponysonas and blind bags (characters with 0 established personality) because it gives us a bit more freedom to work with, but I'm okay with anything really so long as people are good at staying in character for canon non-background characters.

#28 2012-04-13 16:15:06

andapanda
FluxBB bbcode test

I wouldn't mind trying this as long as it doesn't dissolve too much into monkeys throwing feces and 'LOLSORANDUM" stupidity that other RPs I've tried dissolved into. :I

That being said my OC would probably be pretty boring and spend half his time taking naps. : P

you better shrek yo self before you dreck yo self

FluxBB bbcode test

#29 2012-04-15 00:37:05

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Few other things to consider - like say adventures, slice of life, or just running around etc.
Where the RP would be located in Ponyville or elsewhere?

Personally, I think we would need like occasional staged adventures and major events to keep things interesting but mostly slice of life (kinda like the show).

Also I don't really think we should be in Ponyville for a couple of reasons:
1. The mane six and other cannon characters are there - this is both a good and bad thing. For one we have some familiar character to possibly play off of... but it kind of keeps PCs out of any sort of important position and any major event would have to involve the mane six, mayor mare, et cetera.
2. We would also be very constrained by canon unless we want to go by a very AU type setting.
3. With an original location the PCs are fairly free to do whatever they want - become mayor, be head of the weather patrol, running a shop without being in the shadow of a cannon character, be heroes without having to involve or explain away canon characters, establish an original town history, et cetera.

Even so we should probably be somewhere in the neighborhood of Ponyville maybe like on the other side of the Everfree Forest so that canon characters are distant enough that they aren't involved in every aspect of everyday life but allow for the occasional cameo/interference.

I asked about the character thing since I've tended to be a drama leader in the past - ex: When I was in the East Pacific a lot of events ended up being centered around Fish Island (An outpost of my mainland Nation which was in another region) groups aiming for independence, fights among the nobility and other factions in internal power struggles, terrorists and subject peoples trying to destabilize the government, assassinations and assassination attempts, various spreading religious cults, various major occasions, and groups et cetera. I'm the kind of person who will blow up their own crap to heck if it makes for a good storyline. Near the end Fish Island was enveloped in fallout radiation from both a major nuclear accident (and fallout from a nearby war) killing the majority of the population, ruining the land, and sending most of the survivors into sealed vaults or outlying holdings basically becoming a nation of refugees because that's where the story lines lead. Although I doubt we would get that far or do something major I'd be willing to have Arcane Flame die, become a villain, et cetera but with him being a ponysona as well that gets a little weird if he ends up drifting a bit far away personality or physical wise.

Also for Arcane Flame I'm not sure if he would have too many benefits compared to others since he has a noble background, has magic as special talent and advanced training (no where near Twilight levels but much more than average). I've got several ideas for character arcs for Arcane Flame touching on some of his flaws like his laziness, arrogance, out-of-touchness with common ponies, bit of a prejudiced against Pegasi, et cetera.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#30 2012-04-15 01:10:22

eaglehooves
Procrastinating with ponies, again.

Arcane Flame wrote:

Few other things to consider - like say adventures, slice of life, or just running around etc.
Where the RP would be located in Ponyville or elsewhere?

Personally, I think we would need like occasional staged adventures and major events to keep things interesting but mostly slice of life (kinda like the show).

Also... [snipped]

That sounds kinda neat. I'm new to RPing and have no backstory whatsoever for my OC (yet), but I'm intrigued. Now for the logistics; where are we going to do this?

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-hard-at-work1.jpg
Random journals and the occasional post -> http://eaglehooves.deviantart.com/
Also now on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040248536
Do ponies really even read signatures?

#31 2012-04-15 01:15:08

DashAttack
Not REDACTED

I'm okay with doing it outside of Ponyville for the previously stated reasons. I think that we could just retcon any canon information in and roleplay around it if we wanted to, but that might bring some complications to the whole thing.

It's always more fun to make up our own little "Ponyville" anyways.

#32 2012-04-15 01:19:00

andapanda
FluxBB bbcode test

Yeah Arcane made it sound really cool and fun, now we have to do this. Also we need to think of a pony pun of a city in Ohio.

FluxBB bbcode test

#33 2012-04-15 01:33:41

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

I think if we had an RP board, we could have different stuff going on in separate threads, and each thread can have its own constraints and rules. Ponychan does it that way, and it kind of makes sense.

#34 2012-04-15 15:38:33

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Starshine wrote:

I think if we had an RP board, we could have different stuff going on in separate threads, and each thread can have its own constraints and rules. Ponychan does it that way, and it kind of makes sense.

That's how we did it in the East Pacific as well. Although they were all part of the same continuity and were happening at about the same time (unless otherwise noted) with like loose ideas of time in effect.

This might be harder though as most since in TEP we were RPing whole nations with a wide casts of characters and also since we have more single characters it makes adventures difficult so whoever was running it would have to be an effective DM and handle the NPCs. I've thought up an opening adventure after we get charters introduced. Also been thinking of ways to not plot rail road it (thinking up various outcomes to things, nudges, et cetera) and as part of it I have plans for getting my OC(s) good and neutralized (not that he would have to be I just thought it would be a good idea to avoid any kind of impression of writing myself as a hero in the story I was spinning as he might have been very useful as a Student of Magic). Also I don't see why we would have to keep to just one character as long as we can handle them and give them some good characterization just so long as we're not trying to handle a massive herd of ponies.

Also for adventure threads while I'd like everyone to be able be good RPing and not having your character always be successful perhaps for major actions suggesting people use a dice roll
Ex with d20 say hitting something with a tossed apple a decent distance away.
20 - Bullseye!
15-19 ~On Target.
10-14 It still hit but not well.
5-10 Close, may have barely hit.
2-4 Miss.
1 You some how hit it off a tree and it came back and hit you in the face.

For the most part use your own judgement with the occasional rolls on major things to keep some objectivity - but the goal is just to have fun not 'win' (which you can't really do anyways). Just very lax rules as long as fun is maintained. We had RP mods and judges in the RP but they only stepped in due to cases of clear godmodding and acting like an ass in a way that ruined other people's fun.

As for the name of the Ohio Bronies RP town two ideas:

Springfilly - In honor of Springfield, Ohio home of the Pony House
Trotton (or Troton) - In honor of Trotcon.

For those thinking of characters:
Remember they're a pony - try to think like a pony. Also with ponies they have hooves not hands and think about how that might effect things (even if they are sticky hooves - thumbs are amazingly useful and those are gone). Remember that every character has flaws and often they're related to their strengths (ex Twilight is very gifted in magic but is OCD due to her obsessiveness with studying and had a lack of social skills at first / Rainbow is decisive but can also be very stubborn about her choices / et cetera). Also consider your character's life goals: "What do they want to do with their lives when they're not out on an adventure or hanging out at the spa or something?" (ex Rainbow wanting to get into the Wonderbolts, Rarity wanting to be known across Equestria as a famous designer, et cetera).

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#35 2012-04-15 16:42:02

DashAttack
Not REDACTED

Arcane Flame wrote:

Also for adventure threads while I'd like everyone to be able be good RPing and not having your character always be successful perhaps for major actions suggesting people use a dice roll
Ex with d20 say hitting something with a tossed apple a decent distance away.
20 - Bullseye!
15-19 ~On Target.
10-14 It still hit but not well.
5-10 Close, may have barely hit.
2-4 Miss.
1 You some how hit it off a tree and it came back and hit you in the face.

Based on my luck with dice during my WoW days, I can see a lot of 1 - 10 rolls happening to me throughout whatever the campaign may be.

Springfilly - In honor of Springfield, Ohio home of the Pony House
Trotton (or Troton) - In honor of Trotcon.

I think Trotton sounds a bit better.

#36 2012-04-16 09:32:18

edinpony
Life is an adventure!

Huh, this does actually sound pretty fun, and I do love the Dungeons and Dragons sessions I participate in every weekend. I might be down to participate in this if we figure out what we are doing.

#37 2012-04-16 18:45:17

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

DashAttack wrote:

Based on my luck with dice during my WoW days, I can see a lot of 1 - 10 rolls happening to me throughout whatever the campaign may be.

Well you could use that horrible luck as a characteristic for the character. tongue

edinpony wrote:

Huh, this does actually sound pretty fun, and I do love the Dungeons and Dragons sessions I participate in every weekend. I might be down to participate in this if we figure out what we are doing.

I only suggested that as only a possible fair check for the more adventurous RPs (most will probably be slice of life events) to keep some objectivity and prevent to the tendency of some people to have their characters do everything perfectly (and since some characters would be ponysonas this seems a good advisement). We didn't use this system in TEP with Wars but then we were dealing with armies and mostly good sense, wit, and things that were established before hand and a lot of wars one player would intentionally drop for storyline purposes or agree to do a job for someone elses storyline. We had a good semi-open core group of RPers who nudged newbies in through example and we had vague guidelines for nations initially using the stats of their game nation which kept new players from being too powerful until they knew what they were doing which acted as a power check for them. The goal was not to 'win' per say as with most Free Form RPs but to just have fun in a collaborative story and I had as much fun as a heel and getting blown to smithereens (and RPing the effects of that) as I did as a face doing the blasting.

Having fun should be the goal here - this should ideally be a fairly rules light and high character-based RP.

Most slice of life situations would probably require little in the way of control or input (say a party or something). Others like say a pegasi race/other sport-like events or those involving NPCs (say we get a visit from Trixie or Flim & Flam would be more complicated).

So for these events like this we would need a Story Leader (SL) basically a low rent Dungeon Master who would normally be the thread originator who would assign the modifiers and roll them. If there thread originator was participating in the competitive event an outsider could handle the rolling and modifier judging or if everyone was participating someone who was considered fair.

Competitive Events

First for the sporting events we had those in TEP mostly hockey and they worked like this: people would RP the leadup and the effects and how somethings played out but the actual event was determined by a dice roll with modifiers. The modifiers were determined by the judge. Some nations were more Northern and had Hockey as a national pastime, others like mine were a freaking tropic island and most people didn't really care or understand this weird thing involving ice and sticks (much like say a Jamaican Bobsled Team) so my team had a rather negative modifier while others had a fairly strong one. To put this to the example of a Pegasi Race lets say we have a race between Rainbow Dash, Stormcaster, Blossomforth, Fluttershy, and Scootaloo. Dash is super awesome so let's give her an arbitrary +10, Stormchaser is kind of decent so +3, Blossomforth average so nothing, Fluttershy is a weak flier so -10, and Scootaloo can't fly so -20.

Rolling a d20:
Rainbow Dash: 11 (+10) = 21
Stormchaser: 20!!! (+5) = 25
Blossomforth: 12 = 12
Fluttershy: 5 (-10) = -5
Scootaloo: 20!!! + (-20) = 0

Yes, I actually rolled those with a real die couldn't have worked out better to show my point.

So the results of the race would be Stromchaser winning, Rainbow Dash in 2nd, Blossomforth in 3rd, Scootaloo in 4th, and Fluttershy in 5th and the RP would be afterwards explaining those results (lets say Stromchaser found inner strength, Rainbow had a cramp, Fluttershy had a panic attack and didn't even try to race and Scoot managed to badly fly/glide against all logic (seriously I got a 20 for Scoot - did not anticipate that I was hoping for one upset, not two major ones. It did provide a wonderful example though)).

NPCs & Adventures

These would involve a SL a lot more, whoever was running the thread would be it's SL and would control NPCs and external actions and act kind of like a traditional DM. So the SL would control the NPCs like Flim and Flam and nudge the plot along with external events in addition to their own character(s). Things get somewhat trickier with outright adventure threads so I would recommend the SL provide generous Out of Character (OOC) notes about situations and I would encourage rolling or some other chance thing for major actions (but this would just be a voluntary recommendation we want to stress character role-play not stats and common sense should prevail - bucking a dragon in the face like Rainbow Dash did in Dragonshy isn't going to hurt it much for instance).

OOC Threads

Speaking of OOC: For major events like adventure threads it would be a good idea to have an external OOC thread where there will be a lot of OOC notes, a lot of questions asked, rule hammering, et cetera Most threads like 'Slice of Life' threads should be ok with OOC in the tread.

Inter-character action, Style, and Example.

Ideally Posts should be in 3rd person and be kinda neat at first avoid RPing any actions that someone else's character does unless you know that person and their characters well and they can always challenge it. For extended dialogs scenes just handle it on posts unless it's very long in which case maybe getting in a quick IC chat and having someone clean up and post the results.

As just an example of some vets doing inter-character action:

Fish Island wrote:

Taiya slowly turned and looked at Nei, her cheeks still glistened with the sorrowful gleam of her tears from a few minutes earlier, her mouth slightly opened as if she was about to speak but then she quickly cast her head down.

Taiya gazed down at the cold and crumbling concrete of the side walk for several minutes before uttering simply 'Momma'...

Even now the loss of her mother felt like an open wound scoured cruelly with salt, it was still too much. Tears started to flow down Taiya's cheeks as Nei's arms vainly hugged her bleak rigid form in a fruitless attempt to allay Taiya's grief, what was the point? It felt as if nothing could console or patch the emptiness in her heart.

Her mother had been taken away by cruel and heartless men lead by abstract theories on how to make the world 'better'. That made the hurt all the more worse... to them was life just a pawn on a chess board to be sacrificed for their idiotic theories of a 'greater good' attained through mass murder and tragedy? What was the point of a 'better world' built on a pyramid of skulls and flowers watered by the blood of the innocent?

If Taiya's mother had not stopped those men, everyone she knew would have been dead, they were planning to use a device so powerful Fish Island would have mostly been obliterated. It gave Taiya a small comfort that her mother had saved everyone, but it could not fill the dark void inside of her heart.

Lost in her thoughts, Taiya slowly became cognisant of Nei who was still grasping her tightly. Nei was the one friend she felt she could confide in, the only one among her friends who could possibly understand her loss, but this was different.

Following a pause, Taiya looked in Nei's eyes and said, "I... I... thought I saw my mother so I went after her... it... wasn't her..."

That was only part of what happened, but Taiya didn't want to confide even to Nei her true experience, that terrible maddening hallucination, it was still too much, and she didn't want her friends thinking she was mad and casting her away... she didn't want to lose her friends... with out them, and especially without Nei, she felt she would have truly gone mad.

"Also...", Taiya said continuing while putting on a false smile and trying to change the subject from the pain in her soul, "My Aunt Chi is going to become the Tyona and I have to leave to attend the ceremony, everyone who wants to come along is invited..."

Infinite Loop wrote:

Nei Held Taiya as she crfied and told her of the message from her Aunt, she fully understood the position Taiya was in, but her own position had made her put on the brave face, she had only cried once, when she along with Etna went to the secure bunker and she cried for several hours,
then, she had an idea,
she turned Taiya loose and raised her head up so she could see her eyes,
and said, "neigher of us have mothers, but we can be sisters," she takes one of her claws and pokes her left thumb, a few drops of blood seep out, the marks two paralell lines on Taiya's right cheek and along her nose bridge, from eyebrow to tip, then takes Taiya's hand and pricks her right thumb, and mirrors Tiayas markings on her own face then grasps her hand with Taiyas, and utters some arcane Neko phrase, Taiya cannot understand, then still holdong her hand, she says, "now we have each other," and she spits over her right shoulder and says "You do that too".

[ooc fish if you dont like the post let me know]

packilvania wrote:

Noi watches the scene with ineterest.

"The blood ritual... Although it is a little less violent, it is the ritual none-the-less... I thought only the Neko practiced that

Fish Island wrote:

OOC:

It's fine I'll post a responce here tonight.

Fish Island wrote:

Taiya, a little startled by Nei's actions, blinked. She was both puzzled and overjoyed by Nei's declaration of sisterhood, but it seemed, well, sudden...

The arcane Neko chant that Nei had quickly rattled off was a mystery to Taiya but there however was something about it that was familiar as well, it was similar to her own tongue in a fashion that they might have been two siblings from a common parent who had been separated and lived different lives but still shared the same basic structure...

After the Neko ritual was over she smiled and hugged Nei, as happiness filled her soul.

"We have a ritual of our own," Taiya said as she retrieved a small libation cup and placed it between herself and Nei. She then unsheathed her Taiyido, her ceremonial dagger bearing the symbol of her den, and slashed her left hand with the dagger. With blood oozing from the self-inflicted wound she held her hand over the libation cup allowing some of the crimson blood to drain into it.

"Now, do the same," She said as she handed her Taiyido to Nei, who followed suit, after a slight hesitation.

After Nei's blood had drained into the cup, Taiya began chanting:

Chanted wrote:

"Ama tanshiuk kayu ama kieuk, jo awaya hajidalo.
<The blood you possess and The blood I possess become one.>

Oda sojen kieuk ta kachilo.
<Come along with me to my den.>

Tanshi ge xata sojen kieuk. Sojen Kolitxiuk. Xata ge midu tsuli jo mejilo.
<You are part of my den, The Kolitxi den, and all Tsuli will see it as your rightful place.>

Kun ge tanaji akiti jo ungatikulo.
<Only death can break this bond>"

"You repeat that as well...", She said looking at Nei, and then realised that Nei probably did not know her language. She quickly pulled a scrap piece of paper and a pen from one of her bag and transliterated the words into Katakana to the best of her abilities before handing the blood stained paper to Nei.

Taiyido.jpg

OOC: Loop same deal, If you don't like this just let me know.

Infinite Loop wrote:

Nei reads the words as quickly as she can, the little bit of blood from their fingers she can take,
the larger mass in the cup, and the bit still leaking out of her palm, that is a different matter.
as she finishes, she says,
"now lets clean this mess up"

Fish Island wrote:

Taiya looks around a chuckles, "Yeah... We did kinda make amess around here, it almost looks like one of those illegal FPS blood rituals took place..."

Taiya pulled out some gauze from her bag and wrapped her hand before tossing it over to Nei. She then picked up the libation cup filled with their blood and walked over to the nearest tree. She stood there for a few moments uttering a prayer to Kunaga before dumping the contents of cup into the ground by the tree's roots.

She came back smiling and hugged Nei, "Well, there is still one more thing, but that will come later... The Amalixita..."

Taiya suddenly stops as her ears perk up, she starts sniffing the air... "where have I...", she murmurs...

Suddenly Taiya turns and yells, "Hey Noi! We're over here!"

OOC:
If all is well and good, can we start to get over to FI soon?

Again with adventure and NPC/event threads the SL would be handling the NPC and external events and the players would be react to them and deciding things. The SL would need to think ahead and have strong improvisation skills since people can be fairly random.

As a final thing I'd recommend watching this video by Spoony on DMing and roleplaying characters since he gives a lot of good advice even if hes talking about more traditional Table Top RPGs:

Counter Monkey – Dungeon Mastering a Great Game

Finally what we really need to start are a few things:
1. A sub-forum.
2. Hammer out some basics of setting.
2. A PC character reference thread like the OBOCDB.
3. An opening thread to set-up and start introducing the characters such as a Summer Sun Celebration Part.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#38 2012-04-16 20:48:31

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

So... do we want an RP board on here, or a totally separate forum with separate users? Former would keep things simple, one login, latter would make it possible to set up alternate profiles and pics for each character but you'd have to log in/out to manage them all.

#39 2012-04-16 20:53:39

Bassponybrony

I think it'd be a great idea to be honest

#40 2012-04-16 20:58:15

chaoticpix93
This Space Left Unintentionally Blank

Ooo... ours weren't as detailed on LAI. big_smile But I liked LAI back when it was on SPUF alone. LOL We would have long detailed actions, and conversations as these AI characters we'd created. big_smile

Or give them all different colors or just put <name:> before each action or such... <shrug>

Last edited by chaoticpix93 (2012-04-16 20:59:18)

This Space for Sale!

My DeviantArt

#41 2012-04-16 20:59:36

BassponyBrony

I think this'd be a great idea and it should most definitely happen :3

Bass ponies should pony pony pony

#42 2012-04-16 21:06:03

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

I know I am showing up late but I think I would like to join in too if I can. Lilac Iris is ready for anything

I walk a thin line between insane and completely out of my mind.
Normal is boring.

#43 2012-04-16 21:13:00

BassponyBrony

TrippyGlitters wrote:

......I have a confession.

I used to be an addict. A hardcore RPing addict.

I know that feel all too well :I That is practically all I do anymore in my spare time

Bass ponies should pony pony pony

#44 2012-04-17 19:04:15

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Starshine wrote:

So... do we want an RP board on here, or a totally separate forum with separate users? Former would keep things simple, one login, latter would make it possible to set up alternate profiles and pics for each character but you'd have to log in/out to manage them all.

I would suggest just using this forum and making a sub-section or just two forums. One for RP threads and one for OOC and background information (might be a good idea to keep them separate so background and OOC information threads don't get lost under various other threads). Having various accounts for characters while fun could get out of hand quickly and be annoying switching between accounts - especially if you happen have more that one character. Besides it should be fairly simple to do multiple characters in one post like so:

Example IC Post wrote:

Sugar Grape glided as gracefully as a dove over the capitol of Canterlot, below her the many white buildings of the city sparkled like jewels as they were hit by the soft beams of Celestia's rising sun. The feeling of the cold morning air blowing through her purple mane was exhilarating, the white pegasus hardly flew over Canterlot that often but when she fly over the city she savored every moment.

Banking hard she turned towards the luscious and familiar green of the common of Canterlot University Campus and then quickly went into a dive to deftly avoid a grey and golden blur that Sugar had noticed hurtling towards her at the very last second. Beating her wings forcefully, Sugar was able to recover and come to a gentle landing on the common green. As Sugar wiped the sweat from her brow she thanked Celestia for her scholarly ways, for while she had been a weak flier in her youth, the years of flying around with saddlebags loaded full of heavy books and scrolls had given her wings the workout needed to strengthen them enough so that she could handle herself in the air decently now - as long as her saddlebags were not excessively loaded down.

Her mind was however loaded down with thoughts of her sister. Sugar's sister had been spending too much time partying all night with Pinkie Pie and Berry Punch lately. Just last night she had gotten excessively drunk, put on a crown made out of cider bottles, mounted the Ponyville town statue of Princess Celestia, and slurred out the notes of Octavia's 'Flight of the Pegasi' over and over again until she passed out. She did nothing but get drunk and party. Fortunately, Lyra Heartstrings had told Sugar last night that a mutual friend was looking for an assistant, maybe a job away from Ponyville would straighten her sister out after last nights stunt their parents were vowing to no longer support and house her so it was her last chance.
--

Arcane Flame stared out the window of his advanced studies student villa on the campus of Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns raked with chills and covered with cold sweat. The Nightmares had ridden into his mind again last night. Those horrible Nightmares! Full of fire and ice and rage. The marching of hooves, cracked armors, Canterlot in flames, a maniacal cackling blue ram, gem eyed ponies, a bizarre city which looked absolutely wrong in every single way, a horde of soldiers of a dizzying array of species on the march, the darkness, and the bell - The terrible bell! - ringing out the same a four beat pattern over and over again. Da-da-da-Ding! .... Da-da-da-Ding! ... Da-da-da-Ding! ... Da-da-da-Ding! ... Da-da-da-Ding! ...

The same four beat pattern that he had heard in his initiation into the Flame family mysteries and when he had gotten his flame cutie mark. Looking back on the experience, Arcane wondered if he was the only one in his line stretching back to the Monocerovingian Kings who had ever heard the four beat pattern when beholding the vastness of All in the flaming spark of pure magic? Only yesterday had Princess Celestia summoned him and tasked him with investigating reports of anomalous bursts of magical energy and rumors of the sightings of odd ponies and some disappearances from a small backwater town near the Everfree Forest (his family possessed an old maneor house in town so that would be small comfort). A previous magical researcher sent to the town had gotten a reading of one of the energy bursts and sent the readings to Celestia's school before he too disappeared. The Kicker: the magical signal displayed that four beat pattern.

The green unicorn's thoughts were interrupted as his amber eyes caught a graceful white Pegasus descending quickly towards the nearby Canterlot University's Campus. Even if she was a distance away Arcane recognized Sugar Grape immediately. Sugar was one of few pegasi Arcane respected since to him she was so unlike so many of her tribe: She was great intellect and had more than a dash of common sense. If he managed to get some free time he would have to attend Sugar's guest lecture on lost and legendary civilizations and species with a special bit on those Human creatures his old friend Lyra had fancied. Ah Lyra, if only she wasn't only attracted to mares...

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door and Arcane opened it to see a wall-eyed grey pegasus with a golden mane. 'Oh good, just what I needed... An especially dumb looking pegasus!' he thought. Arcane began to open his mouth to speak when the grey mare deftly pulled out a letter out of her saddlebags and joyfully squealed, "I brought you a letter!!!"

Arcane took the letter into his hooves and looked at it. Oh, speak of the Chaotic One!, it was from Lyra Heartstrings.

"...And a muffin!!!", the grey mare joyfully chirped.

Arcane looked up from the letter and to his confusion the grey mare was indeed holding a muffin in her outstretched hoof.

"Uhhh... Thanks... I think.", Arcane stammered as he took the muffin.

The grey mare just smiled and then flew off. "Well that was certainly... odd...", Arcane mumbled to himself as he sat the muffin on a table and opened the letter. Arcane smiled as he read the note, it looked like he found the assistant he had been looking for after all. If Sugar Grape's sister was anything like Sugar herself her help might be invaluable especially with this new royal assignment.

Also part of reasoning behind this was a way to keep activity up in the time between seasons.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#45 2012-04-17 20:19:11

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

If you're using the quote tag for all IC stuff (really? there's no way to type a tag and have it display verbatim?) then I suppose that means anything not quoted is automatically OOC. Neat.

#46 2012-04-17 20:28:08

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Starshine wrote:

If you're using the quote tag for all IC stuff (really? there's no way to type a tag and have it display verbatim?) then I suppose that means anything not quoted is automatically OOC. Neat.

I was actually just separating it out as an example of multiple characters in one post. In real posts OOC notes would usually be prefaced with 'OOC:' to separate them out. "IC:" continuing it on since quoting it all would be kind of odd and weird to the eyes.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#47 2012-04-18 14:29:39

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

So assuming everyone is still interested, what do we need to get started here (besides the forum here)?

*I know at the least some OOC details like town location and name - thought it sounds like we're kinda in agreement for our own village (preferably just far enough from Ponyville to have some links with things that happen but not to close to be having to deal with dodging around mane characters on a daily basis).
*Some character creation et cetera.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#48 2012-04-18 21:07:56

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

So we got the forums Town's name? Et cetera?

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#49 2012-04-18 22:08:10

andapanda
FluxBB bbcode test

Coltlumbus
Trotledo
Hayton
Delamare

I think Coltlumbus would properly work best since it's the largest and most recognizable.

A location might be a little trickier since we have no unified map of Equestria and only vague hints. Maybe for some extra "fun" we could put our town next to Tartarus, much like the Everfree forest is to Ponyville. Also this way our city is out of the way of Ponyville but not too far.(Round trip a day and a night trot). What cardinal direction it is in to Ponyville or relation to other cities or landmarks I have no idea though.

FluxBB bbcode test

#50 2012-04-18 22:28:16

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

andapanda wrote:

Coltlumbus
Trotledo
Hayton
Delamare

I think Coltlumbus would properly work best since it's the largest and most recognizable.

A location might be a little trickier since we have no unified map of Equestria and only vague hints. Maybe for some extra "fun" we could put our town next to Tartarus, much like the Everfree forest is to Ponyville. Also this way our city is out of the way of Ponyville but not too far.(Round trip a day and a night trot). What cardinal direction it is in to Ponyville or relation to other cities or landmarks I have no idea though.

The Everfree is probably extremely huge judging from this map and all the forest indicated at the bottom and up to Sweet Apple Acres & Ponyville:
MapPville_Area.png

Tartarus could even be in the forest or bounding it. I kinda think we should be near the Everfree Forest since it's probably big enough and is a really & useful cool setting for adventures and random happenings.

I've usually ponized Columbus as Coltumbuck but it sounds kinda awkward. I kind of like Trotledo or like I suggested above 'Trotton' as kind of a ref to Trotcon.

Last edited by Arcane Flame (2012-04-18 22:31:14)

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB