Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#51 2012-04-18 22:41:17

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

Re: Free form RP?

That doesn't seem like a bad idea on the location, and I would like to add Filly-nati to the list of possible names, not the best, but feel I should contribute something. I have always imagined Manehatten North of Ponyville, and still within a short journey since fillly AJ made the journey, would be another nearby place and would give our characters easy access to the big city.

I walk a thin line between insane and completely out of my mind.
Normal is boring.

#52 2012-04-19 00:13:40

DashAttack
Not REDACTED

I'm liking being around Tartarus or on the other side of the Everfree Forest. It gives us a bit to work with in case we struggle to come up with something on our own.

I still think I'm more fond of Trotton, but I'm liking Coltlumbus and Hayton, though.

Last edited by DashAttack (2012-04-19 00:14:05)

#53 2012-04-19 00:21:02

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

DashAttack wrote:

I'm liking being around Tartarus or on the other side of the Everfree Forest. It gives us a bit to work with in case we struggle to come up with something on our own.

Could be both also Trippy Glitters's OC back story involves living in the Everfree Forest so if she's participating might be a good idea to be conveniently located to the Everfree.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#54 2012-04-19 01:08:01

DashAttack
Not REDACTED

Arcane Flame wrote:
DashAttack wrote:

Could be both also Trippy Glitters's OC back story involves living in the Everfree Forest so if she's participating might be a good idea to be conveniently located to the Everfree.

I was thinking that myself, actually. tongue

#55 2012-04-19 11:28:40

edinpony
Life is an adventure!

I should totally make an OC character just in case I do end up wanting to participate. Time to Mary Sue the shit out of this!

#56 2012-04-25 20:02:39

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Ok, since no one has really posted anything and we have one agreement with Trotton...

How's Trotton and the town bordering the Everyfree and near the gates of Tartarus for the Freeform RP?

/Sorry I disappeared for a few days party then quarterly transition time at work with epically long days.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#57 2012-04-25 21:21:19

andapanda
FluxBB bbcode test

sounds good to me!

you better shrek yo self before you dreck yo self

FluxBB bbcode test

#59 2012-04-26 00:20:47

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

Works for me, I will start working on a reason for Lilac Iris to be in town.

Normal is boring.

#60 2012-04-27 12:38:58

eaglehooves
Procrastinating with ponies, again.

Just to let everypony know I haven't died or anything, I figured I'd drop in and say Trotton sounds good. I'll be back as soon as finals end.

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-hard-at-work1.jpg
Random journals and the occasional post -> http://eaglehooves.deviantart.com/
Also now on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040248536
Do ponies really even read signatures?

#61 2012-04-30 04:17:50

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

All right I'll start up a introductory thread this Wednesday now that people are getting back from ACEN.

How's a victory/royal wedding festival (assuming celebrations are taking place across the whole of equestrian) taking place just a little after the season finale as an introduction event?

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#62 2012-04-30 06:41:53

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

Sounds like a great idea to me for an intro event. Can't wait for Wednesday!  (\030/)

Normal is boring.

#63 2012-05-02 19:46:25

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Ok, about to post the first introductory thread.

Feel free to create your own threads and events later on but preface them with [Trot]. It's kind of my hope we can establish so sort of continuity (albeit with wibbly wobbly time) between the Trotton free form RP threads. I have plans for an adventure thread which will use the methods I talked about earlier and I'm sowing some of the seeds for it in my posts (for that thread Arcane will be out of the way and unless someone purposely grabs Shine she'll probably break into a cellar filled with a wide array of alcohol).

Use this first thread to introduce you chrater and have some light fun as a festival is going on. The should be stalls selling food, refreshment, and all sorts of other thing along with performers and carnival games in the open area across the river from the main part of the town. Use your imagination.

1.png

I generated a map of Trotton using Roleplaying City Map Generator and edited it in Photoshop. I also came up with a few sites and some town history. We can ditch all of it and/or greatly change it if no one likes it.

Description of Trotton wrote:

Nestled on a river bend near the Everfree Forest and the gates of Tartarus, lies the small town of Trotton. It was originally founded more than a thousand years ago by the pegasus Commander Trotsiphone the Brave in a strategic location close to the Gates of Tartarus to monitor them and if need be serve as a base of operations from which to defend the rest of Equestria.

Not far from the Trotton town hall, one can find a large statue of Commander Trotsiphone the Brave in armor staring perpetually in the direction of the gates. Commander Trotsiphone also had a small fortification built just outside the town surrounding it with a moat drawn from a river running near the town. At the center of the fortification there was built a tall iron turret from which Commander Trotsiphone the Brave personally stood watch by both day and many a sleepless night.

In the era of the Royal Sisters the town began to lose its importance as Celestia placed Cerberus as guardian of the Gate of Tartarus.  Following the Nightmare Moon incident the town came to be on the border of the cursed Everfree Forest. These dangers discouraged much further settlement of the town and when Ponyville grew due to the Zap Apple crop, a significant number of ponies left Trotton for Ponyville.

Also near Trotton is a spring called Hippocrene, which is renowned as a place of inspiration. Pony lore tells the tale that when the first pegasus descended from the skies, he landed there and struck his hooves at the ground and water came gushing out of the very earth filled with the power to inspire. Much later the pegasus poet Knowing Keats famously composed his 'Ode to a Nightingale' at the spring.

In the Modern era, Trotton mostly caters to the few brave tourists who come to look at the gates of Tartarus, see the Hippocrene spring, and/or appreciate the towns history as an important Classical Era site.

The small fortification that Trotsiphone the Brave established was overtime taken up by the nobility as the seat of a minor baronage and a lot of the outlying structures were demolished and the fortress itself renovated into Trotton maneor which still possesses its iconic tall iron tower. Despite the renovations, Trotton maneor has frequently been left vacant being mostly used to justify a subsidiary title traded around the nobility. The current holder of the title of Baron of Trotton is the Earl of Hoofington, Nocturnal Flame, who has occasionally sent servants to maintain Trotton Maneor but has never visited himself to common knowledge.

TrottonV2.png

Some notes:

* Commander Trotsiphone the Brave is inspired by the one of the Erinyes named Tisiphone who in the Aeneid guarded the entrance to Tartarus and stood atop an Iron Tower on a wide walled castle.

Aeneid, Book VI wrote:

Suddenly Aeneas looks back, and under a cliff on the left sees a broad castle, girt with triple wall and encircled with a rushing flood of torrent flames – Tartarean Phlegethon, that rolls along thundering rocks. In front stands a huge gate, and pillars of solid adamant, that no might of man, nay, not even the sons of heaven, could uproot in war; there stands an iron tower, soaring high, and Tisiphone, sitting girt with bloody pall, keeps sleepless watch over the portal night and day.
http://www.theoi.com/Text/VirgilAeneid6.html

* The Hippocrene is based on the various springs in Ancient Greece which were said to have been places where Pegasus, in his role as Horse of the Muses, struck his hooves to the earth and produced an inspiring spring.

* Knowing Keats is based on John Keats, his 'Ode to a Nightingale' touches on mortality and mentions the Hippocrene so I couldn't resist since the town is near Tartarus and has a Hippocrene.

Also an additional link about FFRP which although it's more geared towards Skyrim FFRP covers a lot of general things and maybe useful to beginners:

A Comprehensive Guide to Free Form Role Play, for Beginners

Also a note regarding Arcane Flame:

I established long ago when I first came up with the character that Arcane was an Aristopony and I've made Arcane Flame the 'Baron of Trotton' by courtesy title. Feel free to blow off the pompous ahole as I get the sense that in Modern Equestria he would have little in the way of actual power and besides he isn't even a Substantive Title for him - at worst he'll write an angry letter which his father will probably ignore. Trotton Maneor should be open for anyone to freely visit and it doubles as a pretty study fortress given the structures history. If people are against this and don't want this at all I can change things around.

Last edited by Arcane Flame (2012-05-02 20:56:05)

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#64 2012-05-02 21:01:41

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Also don't be intimidated by my walls of text; I tend to be verbose (as Starshine has pointed out in the past).

Last edited by Arcane Flame (2012-05-02 21:02:47)

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#65 2012-05-02 23:25:59

andapanda
FluxBB bbcode test

I have no problem since your OC was already created way before this RP and since you are our "leader" it will help you guide us through some semblance of a story is. So I'm fine with it as long as you don't make yourself a Time Lord (Mostly because then I would be jealous). That being said, for all the other people out there, you can just have just as much fun being a boring non-special pony like me!

Also this would be a good time for me to tell you that because of my character's backstory and traits he probably won't be too fond of Arcane, especially at first. So any hostility or unnecessary un-niceness is just my OC being my OC. : P

you better shrek yo self before you dreck yo self

FluxBB bbcode test

#66 2012-05-02 23:50:07

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

andapanda wrote:

I have no problem since your OC was already created way before this RP and since you are our "leader" it will help you guide us through some semblance of a story is. So I'm fine with it as long as you don't make yourself a Time Lord (Mostly because then I would be jealous). That being said, for all the other people out there, you can just have just as much fun being a boring non-special pony like me!

Also this would be a good time for me to tell you that because of my character's backstory and traits he probably won't be too fond of Arcane, especially at first. So any hostility or unnecessary un-niceness is just my OC being my OC. : P

Arcane Flame isn't a Time Lord but there may be a cameo in the adventure I have planned.

Also I doubt anypony is going to be fond of Arcane at first and although he's kind of my ponysona in this hes a bit regressed from what he would outside of an RP. Same for me, if Arcane is a pompous ass that's his character at this point and shouldn't be misconstrued as me talking OOCly (which is one of several reason why I had some reservation about Ponysona characters).

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#67 2012-05-03 00:29:34

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Just a quick note here:

If you wish to involve an OC character in something check with the player who created/controls them. The answer (especially with me will usually be yes unless it's wildly out of character).

Also 'Baron of Trotton' is a subsidiary title for Nocturnal Flame - there should be a town mayor and in practice the Flames probably have less power/influence than say an English Monarch (although they do have a decent amount of power for checking things, behind the scenes influence, et cetera but lets go by popular perception) and add to that:
1. They don't care much about the town.
2. The 'Baron' is a subsidiary title added to many others and Hoofington is more important to Nocturnal Flame.
3. Arcane Flame's use of Baron of Trotton is a courtesy title. He doesn't truly hold the title and if anything the most he could be is a stand in or a representative for his Father.

Like I said before feel free to have more than one OC as long as you can keep up with them - I'm going to be primarily be using Arcane & Shine (apart from the few background characters like Nocturnal Flame who will rarely if ever do anything and mostly exist for background purposes - Dawn is leaving as soon as Shine is cleaned up).

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#68 2012-05-05 13:59:34

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Trotsiphone was female like her mythic namesake Tisiphone. Probably should have made that clearer. Sorry.

Also just want to clarify that the town probably has a general library as well.

Last edited by Arcane Flame (2012-05-05 14:02:20)

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#69 2012-05-05 19:11:14

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

Yeah I saw that, gonna go back and edit my post mentioning it smile

Normal is boring.

#70 2012-05-07 02:21:03

DashAttack
Not REDACTED

Oh, God. I'm making walls of text now. I'm sorry guys. It seems that I have some pent up words to pour out since I haven't done any writing in 6 months.

#71 2012-05-07 06:37:16

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

No problem, I kind of like the text walls, they give alot of backstory and detail about the character. I am sure they will get a little smaller if you start interacting with other characters. smile Keep it up if you want smile

Normal is boring.

#72 2012-05-08 18:00:33

DashAttack
Not REDACTED

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this RP could use a couple more people. =/

#73 2012-05-08 19:59:38

O^0 I feel like I should type more here... but I don't like keeping track of things... >^>

Supsup?
"Life is a comedy for those who think, and a tragedy for those who feel."

#74 2012-05-08 22:07:45

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

More people would be fun, or I will need to start writing for more characters or something.

Normal is boring.

#75 2012-05-09 01:29:58

Ahuizotl
Crusader

I would participate, but my ability to create characters for any game type is downright abysmal. Dance Fever just kinda happened, and he's fine for RtP but I wouldn't want to use him here.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB