You are not logged in.

#1 2011-11-28 17:24:00

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

The Quills & Sofas FanFic Pub

QS_sign.jpg

Welcome to the Quills & Sofas Pub!

Thought we needed a thread to share Fanfic Recommendations, talk about fan fics, and for the Bards a amongst us a place to talk about our own written or musical works.

So sit back on a sofa with a nice book or grab a quill and start writing while enjoying some mead from the Arcane Meadery!

Also one quick rule please warn before talking about any major spoilers in a Fic.

So to start off anyone reading anything good or have some recommendations?

Good Fics I've been reading:

* Fallout: Equestria - This has to be one of the best written pony fic I've seen and it's amazing how good it continues to be after 43 long chapters (heck, according to The TV Tropes page it has surpassed the length of The Lord of the Rings trilogy around chapter 39). It's an excellently written and well woven story and I admire that Kkat can seamlessly incorporate new bits of canon from new shows as if the new canon bits were planned for all along (and the new canon bits have managed to fit extremely well and were almost friggen well timed). Really GO READ THIS FIC NAO FILLY!

* Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons: A side fic to Fallout: Equestria approved by Kkat. While this fic isn't as well written, it still is very good and we get some really awesome characters in Blackjack and her party that consists of the deadliest support group in the Wasteland. This fic needs a warning though: It turns the violence, abuse, and angst up to eleven and may disturb some readers with some episodes of graphic violence, rape, torture, abuse, suicide, and gelding - there's even a reference to the Coca-Cola bottle torture which was used IRL in Central America - The fic is brutal at moments, don't say I didn't warn you!!!. One problem with reading Fo:E and Fo:EPH at the same time is that it makes Lil Pip & crew's angst and problems look absolutely friggen trivial in comparison to what Blackjack & Crew are dealing with on daily basis which takes some of the drama out of Fo:E.

* Son of the Emperor - This has been a fairly interesting What If? style fic so far. It's set in an Alternate Universe where Equestria is part of "Our" World (apparently it is located in the Americas) and ponies have always been part of "our" world. One thing about the fic that seems off is it's massive In Spite of a Nail trope where historically there exists an entire intelligent species of Ponies along side humans, the Roman Empire used Unicorn Shock Troopers taking out entire armies with massive magical attacks, Celestia & Luna exist fully and are known about (and Celestia even sent a vision with her godly powers to a group of Knights!) yet somehow the AU 19th Century Europe is very much like our own historical 19th Century Europe - only there are ponies. Now the history is very well done and very well researched but personally, it seems a bit too close to our history given the massive alterations present in this world and it kind of stretches credibility. With that caveat out of the way it's been a fairly good story so far of a friendship between Napoleon II and a filly Twilight Sparkle with loads of palace intrigue in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Also where else are you going to see this:

Son of the Emperor - Chapter 2 wrote:

Metternich continued, before his mouth twitched to a smirk, "If only the bronies could hear about this though. They’d be cheering all till the morrow with a German prince being taught with an Equestrian unicorn. God knows how the Russians would react..."

* Past Sins - Not the best written fic, but it's decently good and well worth your time. This overly popular fic focuses on issues of identity, destiny, and redemption using the OC character of Nyx an Alicorn created magically by a cult from the remnants of Nightmare Moon.

* Fandom Crisis - This fic has so far had some promising elements. The fic author has been getting approval from other writers to create a kind of 'Crisis on Infinite Equestrias' type story weaving different fanfic universes together in a grand adventure through the Fandom multiverse with Doctor Whooves. It could turn out really great or pretty bad but so far it's been showing a good bit of promise IMHO.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#2 2011-12-01 16:26:00

Re: The Quills & Sofas FanFic Pub

Time to plug a few fics I think need more love!

The Somewhere Cycle
I have two major pet peeves when it comes to pony fanfic: War in Equestria and Tyrantlestia. This fic falls under the former and my god is it stunning. This is how you do war in Equestria, and more beyond that. It drove me to tears; I've never been prouder to say that I was the one who approved it for posting on EQD.

The Star in Yellow
Crazy awesome Lovecraftian work that just updated and I NEED TO READ THAT NEW CHAPTER DAMMIT

The Ballad of Sir Spike de Draco
In the vein of "what are you reading right now" is a more recent one. It's a hysterical, over-the-top reimagining of the pilot episode if Spike had been as he imagined himself in Dog and Pony Show, and thus the most badass creature to walk the streets of Ponyville.

It's Always Sunny in Fillydelphia
Whenever someone asks me for my favorite fanfic, I immediately think of Progress, after which I immediately remember how disappointed I was in parts 3 and 4. hmm It's Always Sunny is therefore my go-to. Is it my favorite ever? I can't keep track of fanfic well enough to know. But it's definitely the best shipfic I have ever read. The sequel is notable too, for using G1 villains in a compelling manner.

I really need to come up with a list of all the fanfic I've read and liked so these recommendations are easier to make. hmm

#3 2011-12-01 17:47:00

Brony007a
aka dantheman007a

Okay, so I've never really been much of a fanfic reader, but since I started keeping an eye on EqD I've gotten into a couple. However, those only really one I particularly care about right now.

This is a well written (6 Star!) Doctor Whoof fic starring the Doctor (obviously), Twilight, Pinkie, and Spike. Written by Squeak, it runs a lot like an actual episode of Doctor Who. Basically the Doctor has just crashed through from the Whoverse into the FiM universe and regenerates into his 12th regeneration (hence the title). However, something else came crashing through at the same time.

Oh, and don't blink. Blink and you're dead.

Traveler
Now, 12 has been completed for a long time and Traveler is it's longer sequel, of which I am awaiting for it's final chapter to be released. Basically the Doctor and Twilight end up going 50 years into the future, but is much darker than expected. A powerful evil rules the land and an eternal twilight covers all of Equestria. And an old foe of the Doctor's appears to have found a ponified counterpart.

EXTERMINATE. EXTERMINATE.

Now what I'm even more excited for is that for awhile now Squeak and some others have been working a radio drama based of his Doctor fics. This and numerous pony video games are what I've been waiting on completion for awhile.

Anyway, if you're a fan of Doctor Who, I recommend reading 12 and Traveler.

You Are Here >

#4 2011-12-04 22:53:00

I just finished the most hilarious sequel to the most hilarious fic I have ever read.

The Turning of the Screwball is the hilarious and just slightly terrifying story of Screwball's origins. Screwball, Mio Amore continues the tale, getting crazier and more epic as it goes. Warren Hutch, who did his own bookplates for the two fics, is just one of those ridiculously talented individuals and the fandom is enriched by his presence. Seriously, go read these; you will not be disappointed.

Until somepony else posts, I'll just keep adding to my most recent.

The Art of the Dress, or Expectations is phenomenal if you like reading psychological works. Rarity loses her damn mind in the most exquisitely artful way. NTSTS is a literary force to be reckoned with, a lesson I learned when he won fimchan's Rarity writeoff with this piece.

#5 2011-12-15 16:49:00

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Hey just thought I'd toss of this idea for a fanfic I just thought of here for some feedback.

Anyway I got this idea for an Fo:E side story centered on a more magical unicorn. Starting out he would be working a 'bookshop' in the ruins of Trottingham. I was thinking of giving the character a dash of Bernard Black (of Black Books) in his personality to give him a good bit of self-centered nihilism that he might somewhat overcome in the end.

The plot vaguely would involve the 'Black Book', no not that one one, an 'hoax' text loosely based on Simon's Necronomicon. Basically Simon's Necronomicon (which can be found in almost everywhere in mass market paperback form) seems to have it's origin at the Magickal Childe occult shop which was located in Greenwich Village, New York. Tired of being constantly asked about the Necronomicon they created their own version and put it on sale to credulous. Simon's Necronomicon purports to be the 'True Necronomicon' but instead of be a pure hoax like the others it is a tome which incorporates real translations of Sumerian & Babylonian spells, bad 'translations' of terms to force idea, ludicrous explanations and 'facts', a small peppering of terms and beings from Lovecraft in random places, and all strung together with stuff taken from the Golden Dawn system of magic. Basically it looks cool and sounds 'legit' but gods help you if you have any real talent and play around with it credulously unmodified.

Basically the story would involve the unraveling of the story of the 'hoax book' and a set of figurines made after several background characters like Lyra (which it turns out due to the inferior methods of the books will possibly be semi-parasitic upon the owner) created by an experimenter. I would also take a look at some of 'background characters' - (Warning: very minor Fo:E spoiler) I always wondered about Lyra's fate in Fo:E even if it just a toss away reference - apparently just serenely sitting alone on a park bench in Canterlot as chaos erupted around her until the final end came and the pink cloud melted her and melded her bones forever into the bench. Which seems just so odd given her easily excitable nature - just sitting there waiting for the end.

At some point there may be megalithic runs and a version of the sun stone (from G1's End of Fluttervalley) involved as a MacGuffin.

SunStoneShrineTrott.jpg

Basically I've been itching to do a story about a more magical unicorn and give it an esoteric fiction treatment. I previously had an idea for a Celestia's School fic but thought it would end up being too much like a Harry Potter type thing and be too mired in school tropes.

So what does everypony think of this idea?

Edit: In keeping with adding a few G1 idea big bad maybe the city of Tambelon since it existed in a realm that was kind outside of reality, time, and space. An attempt to escape the destruction of equestrian during the final moments of the war may have brought it's attention to the Fo:E reality and a mad unicorn might be in collusion with them to help them into the Fo:E reality (although the ending might end up being shades of the End of Time with that). I'm thinking of the Book, a Lyra statuette, and a memory orb delivered by a mysterious mare who subsequently disappears followed by the magical destruction of the bookshop might be a good hook to start off on the adventure.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#6 2011-12-18 02:12:00

chaoticpix93
This Space Left Unintentionally Blank

I really need to get to work on some of my fanfiction for MLP... I have had a few ideas but haven't had the gumption to work on them. I might do that tomorrow. smile I'll let y'all know...

This Space for Sale!

My DeviantArt

#7 2011-12-19 01:56:00

eaglehooves
Procrastinating with ponies, again.

^ I've had a few ideas too, but I can never get them down, and I feel that if I try they probably won't turn out as well as I would like.

Anyways, as far as what I've been reading, I've found time to read a few good ones that are still updating or are completed (I'll skip the few that seem to have been abandoned mid plot line). I'll try and limit this to a few favorites.

Antipodes (http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/03/s … odes.html)
Set in the far future after Celestia and Luna have disappeared stopping the sun and moon in the sky, Antipodes is one of very few post-apocalyptic Equestria stories I've actually enjoyed. It's well written (6-stars), has very well developed characters for OCs, and had me marethoning through all the published chapters the night it was recommended to me.

Through the eyes of Another Pony (http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/08/s … pony.html)
Human-in-Equestria, but it's done as a parody of self inserts to a degree. It turns more serious as it goes on (I'm admittedly behind though, so I'm not sure where it is now), but it starts out with a lot of humor explaining how he knows everypony and making fun of cartoon physics.

A Mare's Tail (http://hiddenbrony.deviantart.com/gallery/31597054)
Set in the Conversion Bureau universe, it follows a group in a journey across the southwest. Conversion Bureau isn't for everypony, but this is my favorite interpretation of the universe (set in the 'new manestream' with the gritty backstory and expanding shield, but not as forefront as others), it's well written, and there's a few lines that made me chuckle that are still in my head weeks later (All of which are spoilers I believe). If you're willing to give the Conversion Bureau a shot, this is the fic.

And Then... She Exploded! TWICE!!! (http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/06/s … wice.html)
Dash sees all the (terrible) fics written about her, and attempts to write her own. Hilarity ensues. Short but funny.

Life With Derpy (http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/05/s … -one.html)
It's a sitcom starring Derpy! Old and not updating, but each 'episode' is complete as is. I liked the personality they gave Derpy (she's not the brightest, but she's a loving mom and tries her hardest), and it just felt like everypony was in character. As you probably have figured if you're still reading, I like comedy, and this is a riot. There might be better out there, but this is a good 5-star fic, and was what broke my aversion to fanfics (I had read one fanfic before this. Ever. And that was because a friend wrote it. Now I have a queue that grows faster than my free time).

[edit]
Paradise - Left this one out earlier since I thought it had stopped updating. Seeing everypony recommending it below has me thinking I was just forgetful. I second them, this is really good.
[/edit]

That ended up being way longer than expected, but I still have one more to plug. A Brony I'm friends with offline has one in progress, and I think it's worth seeing where it goes (Also, it's his first serious writing in a long time and he reads all his comments, so reviews are appreciated).

Anthropology (http://www.fimfiction.net/story/4656/Anthopology)
It's about Lyra and her interest (obsession) with humans. She's always had the idea that something is a touch 'off' with how things are designed in Equestria, and she thinks she's figured out why... (It's a little odd at a few points, and doesn't play nice with a few points of fanon that seem pretty common, but still a very amusing read. Without spoilers, I'll just say I like what he's doing with a trope that has been played pretty awful too many times.)

And if somepony wants to message me how to do the hyperlinks on the titles, I'll go fix that. It's late now and that can wait.

Last edited by eaglehooves (2012-02-09 18:42:43)

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-hard-at-work1.jpg
Random journals and the occasional post -> http://eaglehooves.deviantart.com/
Also now on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040248536
Do ponies really even read signatures?

#8 2011-12-19 04:09:00

Applejack578
Astropony

I'm honestly not too much into pony fanfiction, however I have read one great story on FF.net.

My Gift (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7616337/1/My_Gift)
This is an absolutely wonderful short story about how Luna turns into Nightmare Moon, and the exact reasons why it happened. It's from Luna's point of view, and from the way that the author has written it, I really feel that you can identify with her. And then how Luna switches back and forth between herself and Nightmare Moon, until she actually just becomes said mare in the moon... it's amazing!

I'm still thinking about writing a backstory for my own ponysona... just don't know how other bronies will react to it yet. ^^;

My epic fails at art: http://ns-b32-8.deviantart.com/
My epic fails at making friends: http://www.facebook.com/Atlantis104

#9 2011-12-19 04:37:00

Kilt
Brigadier General

Too lazy to go look for links.... fuck it I'll go get the links!

The Life and Times of Caughlin Mare

An Origin story for Celestia, Luna, and 2 other ponies that are a major part of the ponyverse. Really good read.

[url=http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/08/story-allegrezza.html]
Allegrezza [/url]

Scratch and Octavia love fic, well done and all around silly times to be had by all.

Family Mares

Rainbow Dash and Spitfire get married. But one day RD finds Scootaloo abandoned under a bench. How will the newly weds deal with a traumatized filly?

[url=http://www.fimfiction.net/story/2164/Tales-of-the-Winter-Magic-Academy]
Tales of the Winter Magic Academy[/url]

This one involves a lot of Unicorns going to Luna's private magic academy. Great read all around

Two's Company, Three's a Crowd

This one's about Vinyl getting Octavia pregnant (Magic bitches!!!) not the best read, but it does have quite a bit of comedy.

and My all time personal favorite story that REALLY NEEDS TO FUCKING UPDATE!!!!!!!

Paradise

This is another Celestia & Luna Origin story. But in this case they start off as Earth Ponies. How do they obtain their horn and wings you may ask? well read and find out. This is a truly glorious story and I am sad that no one else posted anything about this yet.

As a side note, everyone keeps tellin me about how great Fo:E is, Honestly I'm just not into the whole fallout series so I just don't see the appeal. *shrugs* oh well. Plenty more stories in the Vault. And with that, I GO!

#10 2011-12-19 21:23:00

I'll second this one. It's a great AU sort of thing and I really need to catch up on it!

A new one today, And I Shall Name Them "Cuppins". Hilarious fic with Pinkie breaking the fourth wall continually to critique the story she's in. Shot to 6 stars pretty much immediately. It makes me proud to be a pre-reader. ;_;

#11 2011-12-20 01:32:00

chaoticpix93

PresentPerfect wrote:

I'll second this one. It's a great AU sort of thing and I really need to catch up on it!

A new one today, And I Shall Name Them "Cuppins". Hilarious fic with Pinkie breaking the fourth wall continually to critique the story she's in. Shot to 6 stars pretty much immediately. It makes me proud to be a pre-reader. ;_;

This reminds me of the Daffy Duck um, episode? *goes to read the rest and check out some others*

This Space for Sale!

My DeviantArt

#12 2011-12-20 22:19:00

Brony007a
aka dantheman007a

Kilt wrote:

Paradise

This is another Celestia & Luna Origin story. But in this case they start off as Earth Ponies. How do they obtain their horn and wings you may ask? well read and find out. This is a truly glorious story and I am sad that no one else posted anything about this yet.

I love that one. big_smile

That's one of the few I read.

I started reading it when the most recent update came out.

And I've waited.

And waited.

I didn't mention it earlier because Season 2 had diminished my hopes for it. Though, then again with Hearth's Warming...

You Are Here >

#13 2011-12-21 23:37:00

chaoticpix93

eaglehooves wrote:

Through the eyes of Another Pony (http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/08/s … pony.html)
Human-in-Equestria, but it's done as a parody of self inserts to a degree. It turns more serious as it goes on (I'm admittedly behind though, so I'm not sure where it is now), but it starts out with a lot of humor explaining how he knows everypony and making fun of cartoon physics.

O.o I'm on chapter 8. I can't stop reading it. LOL It's genuinely funny in a "Discworld" kind of way.

This Space for Sale!

My DeviantArt

#14 2011-12-23 12:52:00

Brony007a
aka dantheman007a

a

a

a

You Are Here >

#15 2011-12-23 15:20:00

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

RE: a
Brony007a wrote:

a

a

Best story ever. I cried at the end and that one bit sent me into a hysterical fit of laughter.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#16 2011-12-23 18:11:00

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Heard this song which is based on The Conversion Bureau stories:

While I like the song the fic seems like it would annoy me. Is it or any side bits worth reading? It has just seemed to me that it's just an excuse for Mary Sue fic and from comments I briefly seen it seems akin to the tired and threadbare Avatar/Dances with Wolves/Fern Gully/Disney's Pocahontas story (insert Savages! reference somewhere).

So is The Conversion Bureau worth reading or not?

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#17 2011-12-23 19:20:00

Ziggomatic
ウボァ

Brony007a wrote:

a

a

Truly the greatest fanfic ever written.

Arcane Flame wrote:

I did like Last Man Standing if that counts.

shop at bible mart

#18 2011-12-24 00:42:00

eaglehooves

Arcane Flame wrote:

Ziggomatic wrote:

I did like Last Man Standing if that counts.

Last Man Standing and A Mare's Tail both had me hooked when I read and were pretty good fics. The Conversion Bureau I hear runs the gauntlet from really well written blends of ponies and reality to really bad sues and poor writing (So just watch the reviews). I haven't read the original and can only vouch for the two fics above, but the setting has lots of potential to me (I sorta want to write in it, but don't want to end up with something that justifies everyponies apprehension). Also, that song is awesome, and it's going on my pony playlist asap.

Also, anypony know when the next 25 chapters of 'a' are coming out? I want to see where this arc goes.

#19 2011-12-24 05:24:00

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

eaglehooves wrote:

Also, anypony know when the next 25 chapters of 'a' are coming out? I want to see where this arc goes.

No Idea but last night in #Twilight_Sparkle somepony found a dramatic reading of the fic so far.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#20 2011-12-24 21:20:00

The only TCB I've read is by Midnight Shadow, but those have all been awesome, mostly because they bash the "turn into a pony and move to paradise" trope over the head with a shovel.

#21 2011-12-25 20:53:00

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Just finished reading the very last bit of Fallout: Equestria and it was awesome and a nice afterword to the Epic. Again I can't help but recommend this fic as it is just a really awesome story (and Derpy was just awesome in it and kind of stole every bit she was in).

Read some of Anthropology since it was highly recommended and while I liked bits of it *warning spoiler ahead* I'm not sure I like where it's going as it seems like Lyra is trying to physically alter herself to get hands through self-surgery... Ewww.....

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#22 2011-12-26 11:10:00

eaglehooves

PresentPerfect wrote:

The only TCB I've read is by Midnight Shadow, but those have all been awesome, mostly because they bash the "turn into a pony and move to paradise" trope over the head with a shovel.

That's the best thing to do with that trope. Played straight it boring. A feel a little silly having to ask (and reveal how much I lurk this thread), but does Midnight Shadow have any other works? He seems good; 'The End' made my short list of grimdark/sad I didn't immediately hate (my least favorite combination of tags, nothing personal), and the 'Twist in the Tail' is amusing so far.

As far as Anthropology goes, yea..... Chapter 3 got weird. I told you it would get random. I was half tempted to give a stronger warning, but I kind of wanted to see everypony's faces. I don't think he's going that route again, but at this point I've got no idea beyond "wait and see".

#23 2011-12-26 21:01:00

eaglehooves wrote:

A feel a little silly having to ask (and reveal how much I lurk this thread), but does Midnight Shadow have any other works?

Glad you asked, friend, glad you asked! He most certainly does!

My personal favorites, though I haven't read all his works, are Midnight Run, which really mindfucked me (I have some issues), and Calling the Shots, which is absolutely hysterical start to finish and was made mostly canon by a recent episode. :3

#24 2012-01-03 00:12:00

Bumping 'cuz it's been a while.

The Star in Yellow (scroll up, it's in a previous post of mine) has been finished, though as of writing this, the EQD post hasn't updated. It's phenomenal, really and truly. If you read deep enough into it, it could very well change how you view writing.

I also have more time right now to read things!

My Little Metro is what I think of when I hear people talk about how good Fallout: Equestria is: an accessible post-apocalyptic crossover with tons of action, a creepy atmosphere and fantastic characters. I haven't read FoE yet, but I have to imagine that if you liked that, you'd like MLM. The writing is utterly flawless, and extremely good on top of that. And like I said, it's written the way crossovers should be. You can get right into it without knowing the source material; I did.

#25 2012-01-03 03:53:00

razza
better than u

Arcane Flame wrote:

and for the Bards a amongst us a place to talk about our own written or musical works.

So far I've got lyrics to 3 pony songs done, and I'm working on a fourth
One is a post-hardcore-ish song that tells the tale of Rainbowdash getting lost in Everfree forest and being tormented by voices.
Then I have two raps, one written in character as Razor Cloud releasing pent up anger, while the other is a tribute to Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy

The one I'm working on is something I'm going to be posting here. It'll be a huuuge thanks for the very warm welcome at the new years party, and a thanks to all the other bronies of ohio and everywhere else.

In addition I've got an entirely improv drum solo I call 'The Offering to Celestia' It has three movements: The Preparation, The Presentation, and The Acceptance.

Now I have bored you all. yae.

qkKhugh.png

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB