Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-01-08 21:41:00

Re: The Quills & Sofas FanFic Pub

Archives of the Friendquisition is a Warhammer crossover, and absolutely awesome. The characters are solid, the action scenes flow well, and there's a very intriguing investigation plot going on. It's a really great read, the pages just fly by. big_smile And sometimes, if you're lucky, you'll see a new chapter before it's actually been 'posted' as an update.

A note: from the comments, it seems like it's not the sort of crossover that W40K fans really enjoy. I know nothing about Warhammer, so I love it. It's really a phenomenally clever blending of the two sources, to extents that I've really never seen before in crossovers. So, if you're looking for doom and gloom and pony blood staining the streets, you won't find it; it's more just pies.

#27 2012-01-08 23:49:00

chaoticpix93
This Space Left Unintentionally Blank

*raises hand*

Question... In all your readings, has anyone actually seen a Pleasantville ponified remake??? I haven't seen one when I did a quick google search.

Because i'm writing one anyway. LOLOLOL

This Space for Sale!

My DeviantArt

#28 2012-01-09 21:33:00

Goddammit Pinkie Pie is a really short trollfic and it's utterly hilarious if you're me. XD Read the description for an idea of what it's trying to do.

Normally I would try to sell this straight, but... The Spiderses is the pinnacle of My Little Pony trollfiction, written by Ohio's own Argembarger. The pre-readers posted it to troll EQD. I highly recommend reading it as one of those fandom experiences, like Cupcakes. (Speaking of which, I have it on good authority that Sgt. Sprinkles was severely freaked out by Spiderses. I'd call that a win.)

On the not-trolling front, I recently picked up the sequel to Moonbeam.  The original is a seminal piece of "Luna goes to Ponyville" fiction, not to mention S1 Lunafic in general. It features a great cast of very memorable OCs and will no doubt please anyone looking for a nice, normal fic. No shipping, no grimdark, just Luna on an adventure of friendship.

The sequel meanwhile... Okay, I just read it today. Chapter 2 was awful and seems to have no bearing on the rest of the story so far. Once it hits chapter 3, it takes off and it's just like reading Moonbeam again, but... God, those first two chapters. Chapter 1 is half recap and half setup for chapter 2, which is irritatingly boring and slightly disgusting. YMMV. Still, Moonbeam is highly worth reading and I very much recommend it, sequel or no.

chaoticpix93 wrote:

*raises hand*

Question... In all your readings, has anyone actually seen a Pleasantville ponified remake??? I haven't seen one when I did a quick google search.

Because i'm writing one anyway. LOLOLOL

I have yet to see one. :B Good luck, and don't let it stop you if there's one already!

#29 2012-01-13 04:32:00

Inquisipony Stallius
of Her Most Holy Friendquisition

PresentPerfect wrote:

Archives of the Friendquisition is a Warhammer crossover, and absolutely awesome.

So I Googled the name of my own fic tonight, and you know what I found? Well, a lot of Google-archived versions of the story page and reposts of Equestria Daily blog entries including them. But what I also found was this thread, where someone had written some glowing words about my story. Then I realized it was PresentPerfect, and I kinda thought: Oh. :-/ I already knew he liked it, because of the comments he's left me. But then I realized: Wait a second; he likes it so much he's telling other people about it! :blush: It makes me feel like a somebody, so thanks PP (if I can call you PP).

Hopefully I don't get in trouble for not being from Ohio (Minnesotan, as it happens).

For the story itself, my hope is that the story more or less stands on its own, and that Warhammer fans would simply have an additional reason to enjoy it. It's just that some of the earlier comments I got were from those who hadn't yet read it, talking about their expectations for it (a practice which baffles me, to be honest). In all the personal feedback I've gotten from fans of both WH40K and MLP, I am told I do well. Also, between PP here and the pre-reader who approved it, even those unfamiliar with Warhammer can enjoy it too. If I'm doing it right, there should be some doom and gloom vibes, but the fact that they're ponies should keep it from going to 40K's signature "up to eleven." I feel like a lack of explicit blood helps sell that too, even though they treat pies like guns with a straight face.

The new-chapter-to-posted gap is actually the time between me "finishing" the chapter and then getting some third-party proofreading/review. Once somebody gets back to me with thoughts and corrections, I request it to go in the update queue. Seems more fair to the general readers that I fix it up before I announce it's ready.

And just to make this not entirely about me, I have a recommendation of my own: Dusk and Dawn by 2%. I probably write more than I actually read, so I felt crazy lucky for picking this one out of the blue the night it was posted. Be warned: my story is a WH40K crossover, and this story still felt insanely more grimdark to me. It takes place in an alternate timeline, seven years after Nightmare Moon won in the pilot two-parter. It has lots of action (which was good) and lots of blood (which was a by-product of said action and grimdark), but the way the world and especially the characters turned out was phenomenally interesting. If I had to pick between recommending this one and mine (not that I have to wink), I'd say read this.

#30 2012-01-13 21:42:00

Whoahi. big_smile You can totally call me PP.

Inquisipony Stallius wrote:

Also, between PP here and the pre-reader who approved it

*coughcoughsamepersoncoughhackcough*

Not to downplay your statement, of course. :V I'm glad my little reviews here are doing some good.

#31 2012-01-16 01:33:00

Inquisipony Stallius
of Her Most Holy Friendquisition

PresentPerfect wrote:

*coughcoughsamepersoncoughhackcough*

ಠ_ಠ

You... didn't ever mention that, did you? It had honestly never occurred to me that that might be the case. I almost feel like I... lost a fan.

Or gained some sort of "double-fan," and I just learned their secret identity or... something. I'll go with that. Sweet.

#32 2012-01-18 21:08:29

I have a secret identityyyyyy! :V I am totally a double-fan.

And oh sweet, we have our own forum now! And this is the ONLY THREAD IN IT. D: I have more things I've read lately!

Ultra Eternal Prodigal Furious Very Big Sonic Fearless Perpetual Heroic Epic Legendary is just what it says on the label. Well, it's actually more than that. What seems at first like a trollfic-level exercise in purple prose quickly reveals a tragic subtext. It's the very epitome of the unreliable narrator, such that what is not said is just as important as what is. You can still enjoy this for the overly dramatic narration though, it's really a ton of fun.

And speaking of funny fics with long titles, How I Stopped Worrying and Learned to Love the Bon-Bon is a hilarious romp written by a friend of mine. Follow the journalistic exploits of Presspass as he journeys once more into the dark, crazy maw of civilization known as Ponyville! It's become a series now, too, the first chapter of the next story having just been uploaded.

Last edited by PresentPerfect (2012-01-19 21:31:30)

#33 2012-01-21 11:54:19

Edgar Allan Pony
Morbid Brony

Some of my favorite fics:

Luna's Day Out (http://tinyurl.com/5srpllg) [Shipping] Fluttershy x Princess Luna. I like this shipping a lot. These are two of my top three favorite ponies. ^^
Allegrezza (http://tinyurl.com/cfuzqqh) [Normal, Shipping] Vinyl Scratch x Octavia.
Rainbow Factory (http://tinyurl.com/3fdlufq) [Grimdark] The gruesome story about where rainbows really come from.
The Vinyl Scratch Tapes (http://tinyurl.com/652unhe) [Comedy, Shipping] More Vinyl Scratch x Octavia. Because they're really cute. But this fic is really funny too.

Well, that's all I can really think of at this time. ^^

"Go ahead and build yourself a better messiah. We can dig another grave."

#34 2012-01-23 00:13:00

Dylan
It's a work in progress!

I really do need to read more fanfics.

A few months ago I wrote this huge fanfic I called "The War of Northern Aggression." It was this very exposition-heavy slow-paced story that I needed to edit. I'll probably find a weekend to revamp it, then maybe send it into ED.

#35 2012-01-23 21:49:44

Dylan wrote:

A few months ago I wrote this huge fanfic I called "The War of Northern Aggression." It was this very exposition-heavy slow-paced story that I needed to edit. I'll probably find a weekend to revamp it, then maybe send it into ED.

That title sounds vaguely familiar. Did you release it anywhere?

#36 2012-01-24 23:06:22

Bumping for an actual recommendation.

The Colour You Bleed should be held up not just as an example of great Blueblood redemption (a theme I am fond of), but excellent writing all around. What begins as a shocking turn of events for everyone's least-favorite prince quickly grows into a glowing, vibrant world populated by breathing characters who give it life. There was nothing in this that didn't keep me wanting to continue reading, so be warned: it's a long haul, and you may not want to stop once you've begun. big_smile

#37 2012-01-26 16:20:32

Dylan
It's a work in progress!

PresentPerfect wrote:
Dylan wrote:

That title sounds vaguely familiar. Did you release it anywhere?

Yes I posted it on Pony draft, but that was a long while ago. I posted it there for a review, but I never heard a response. Since then it's gone through more than a few iterations. Not nearly finished, but I do have a very short and ambiguous prologue up on my google docs open for viewing. That will remain unchanged.

The War of Northern Aggression Prologue

Last edited by Dylan (2012-01-26 16:28:59)

#38 2012-01-26 21:39:12

Dylan wrote:

Yes I posted it on Pony draft, but that was a long while ago. I posted it there for a review, but I never heard a response. Since then it's gone through more than a few iterations. Not nearly finished, but I do have a very short and ambiguous prologue up on my google docs open for viewing. That will remain unchanged.

No, I read this once, long ago. <.< I've never heard of that site though, so I have no idea where it would have been.

#39 2012-01-30 21:11:01

Dylan
It's a work in progress!

PresentPerfect wrote:
Dylan wrote:

No, I read this once, long ago. <.< I've never heard of that site though, so I have no idea where it would have been.

Oh my! Well...

I'm flattered smile I don't know when I'll have a different version of the first chapter up, but you're free to read the current one up.

The War of Northern Aggression Chapter 1

#40 2012-02-01 02:07:42

longneck626

Well, here's my recommendation:

Out in the Cold

This is a very good sad/shipping story centered on Twilight and Trixie.  It really goes into Trixie's past, explaining why she was such a braggard in her only canon appearance, and is a great example of a redemption saga (it has three parts, plus a bonus chapter).  I'd keep the kleenex handy when you read it.

#41 2012-02-01 18:48:38

Icchan

I was wondering ig i could get any pre-readers for my ponyfic WIP?

Just wanted to see if its up to snuff

Dosh!

#42 2012-02-19 20:09:39

Arcanojack
Totally not who you think it is!

Just wanted to say that Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons is kinda awesome and every pony should read it (but read Fallout: Equestria first of course since it's a side fic to it). Though personally I've felt it been a bit off in the more recent chapters and some of the reactions from characters like P-21 seem more forced and overly dramatic than how a character should react - Ex from Ch 33 (not really a spoiler but making it white spoiler anyways):

"I don’t love her.  I can’t love her.  Because every time I think about her, I think about how she wronged all of us and I don’t know how to forgive that.  I don’t think I’m capable of forgetting it.  But I can’t hate her, either.  I can’t leave her.  So I follow her around as she rips herself apart for ponies who are no better than meat, wondering what the hell all of it is for!"

and Ch 32 (some major spoilers here:):

"We just keep fighting and we just keep losing.  Rampage can’t control herself any more than when she killed Thorn.  You can’t keep Scotch safe and happy.  Glory just watches you falling apart more and more every hour.  And nopony is willing to admit it that this… this… stupid little dysfunctional band of emotional retards is doomed!  I’m sick of it!" he said as he hissed his breath through his teeth and looked at me miserably.  "Why can’t we just go home?  It’s better there.  I didn’t have to see… everything in the Goddesses-damned Wasteland hurting you."

And so on... It just sounds to me like P-21 is over-dramatically monologing like he's in a play. The character has been doing that a lot lately, it just doesn't sound authentic to me at all and the fact that hes been harping on the same point a lot with long statements like that is just a little annoying and repetitive. Yes, I know he's concerned but he doesn't need to give a detailed explanation of his angst every single chapter.

/Edited because I am not a smart pony who could remember the spoiler tag when I wrote that.

Last edited by Arcanojack (2012-02-21 17:01:53)

-=-
Totally not a Great and Powerful pony in a cheap disguise!!!

#43 2012-02-20 22:25:41

The First Week of Winter is a crossover with The Thing (From Another World), written for those unfamiliar with the topic. At heart, it's just a very atmospheric, very creepy thriller: ponies in the far north, trapped by extreme wintry conditions in with... something. Updates have been slow, but they're so worth it.

#44 2012-02-20 22:51:21

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Arcanojack: We do have a spoiler tag here, y'know.

#45 2012-02-21 03:54:14

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Finally catching up on Fallout Equestria: Project Horizons.

Listening to music while reading. Read Chapter 33 and after I read the last two words my MP3 player on random starts playing the MLP:FiM credits theme.

...Awkward but very fitting... LOL!!!

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#46 2012-02-21 17:02:43

Arcanojack
Totally not who you think it is!

Starshine wrote:

Arcanojack: We do have a spoiler tag here, y'know.

Aye, but I am not a smart pony who remembers things like that.

-=-
Totally not a Great and Powerful pony in a cheap disguise!!!

#47 2012-02-24 22:28:20

Do you like noir? OF COURSE YOU LIKE NOIR. On the Docks is noir incarnate, featuring a tough as nails detective broad investigating Pinkie Pie. The style grabbed me immediately, and the mystery has so far kept me hooked. Check it out!

#48 2012-02-26 22:04:57

Argembarger
Pizza hut Waffles

::fallout: equestria, a fallout: equestria side story, and past sins listed in OP::

Dang, this could've been a good thread.

Last edited by Argembarger (2012-02-26 22:05:31)

Fuck your pony debates
-Ghostface Killah

#49 2012-02-26 22:39:25

chaoticpix93
This Space Left Unintentionally Blank

I saw a MLP:FiM/Portal crossover fic that would have been AWESOME but they didn't have a feel for either the mane six characters or GLaDOS for that matter. It made me sad.

most of my fanfic suggestions come from here and also Bronyville Podcast. big_smile

Twilight's Guilty Little Pleasure We all have those guilty little pleasures we like to indulge in. Hee, I loved this one. Very unexpected.

Brony Sure, another HiE, but the thing is, it's the writing style. Very good writing. As a writer I can apreciate it more than the story. (And it's more than just wish fulfilment as well.) Just I don't think it'll ever be FINISHED....

School Daze Take every teacher ends up going to poor section of town and finds redemption cliche. Then put it for ponies. Good characterization and good storyline, plenty of 80's references and a few other fun trivia added. Plus you see Chef Sandy/Apple Cider in there too! At least it updates regularly. Which I'm happy for. The chapter coming out will eventually be the LAST ONE! Meaning it shall actually become COMPLETED!

WHat if you were forced to live the Grand Galloping Gala all over again? And again? And again? Sure, it's Groundhogs day, but they cover it so much better than any of the other repeat a day stories I've read. This one actually makes some sense.

This Space for Sale!

My DeviantArt

#50 2012-02-27 01:47:52

Argembarger
Pizza hut Waffles

I just can't get over that. Fallout: Equestria? Past Sins? Next you'll tell me you enjoy Warhammer 40k crossovers, too.

Now, if you guys are looking for an actually GOOD story...

Fuck your pony debates
-Ghostface Killah

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB