Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#76 2012-02-28 19:43:21

eaglehooves
Procrastinating with ponies, again.

Re: The Quills & Sofas FanFic Pub

What happened here?! (I know this is going to come off wrong) This started as a thread to share recommendations, and I'm not quite sure what it's turned into. There seems to be a lot of bashing on authors and fanfiction in general. You're working with characters people already love, but you do still have to work within their character and universe. The nature of the genre is that it's going to be amateur writing, and that the internet allows everyone to post. Once you sort through it all and find the good stuff (like this thread started for), there's some surprisingly fun reads.

So please, if you're going to bash a particular fic, could you recommend a better written alternative? (And maybe a different thread for those going after fanfiction in general.)

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-hard-at-work1.jpg
Random journals and the occasional post -> http://eaglehooves.deviantart.com/
Also now on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040248536
Do ponies really even read signatures?

#77 2012-02-28 20:23:36

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

eaglehooves wrote:

What happened here?! (I know this is going to come off wrong) This started as a thread to share recommendations, and I'm not quite sure what it's turned into. There seems to be a lot of bashing on authors and fanfiction in general. You're working with characters people already love, but you do still have to work within their character and universe. The nature of the genre is that it's going to be amateur writing, and that the internet allows everyone to post. Once you sort through it all and find the good stuff (like this thread started for), there's some surprisingly fun reads.

So please, if you're going to bash a particular fic, could you recommend a better written alternative? (And maybe a different thread for those going after fanfiction in general.)

Whoa, easy there eaglehooves. This thread was always intended as more than just a thread to share recommendations. It was started as a general fanfic discussion thread and although recommendations are a major part of the thread's purpose, discussing fanfics and writing in general is very much part of the purview of the thread as well:

Arcane Flame wrote:

Thought we needed a thread to share Fanfic Recommendations, talk about fan fics, and for the Bards a amongst us a place to talk about our own written or musical works.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't really see how one can point out the good fics without talking about what one considers the dross as well and why one thinks those 'bad' fics just do not work (thus also pointing out potential pitfalls to aspiring writers).

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#78 2012-02-28 21:55:19

I do think we need to break off the actual discussion into its own thread, apart from the recommendations.

Arg, y u so thread derail. neutral

#79 2012-02-28 21:59:11

Argembarger
Pizza hut Waffles

PresentPerfect wrote:

I do think we need to break off the actual discussion into its own thread, apart from the recommendations.

Arg, y u so thread derail. neutral

http://youtu.be/rulElJITIVY?t=21s

Fuck your pony debates
-Ghostface Killah

#80 2012-02-28 22:17:46

Pickles
Everything is magic...except for me!

Fanfics can be good, but regardless what you're writing, it's usually a good idea to keep to a basic knowledge of writing first. Knowing about the characters is one thing, but you kind of need to add something else to it that fits to snag people's attentions! There's usually a good mix of good with the bad, and bad with the good.

...I just got back from work, I don't even know if what I said has anything to do with what I just read XD

Even should the stars stop gleaming,
Their fiery glow now fleeting,
If death itself comes my heart to take,
Never shall my promise break.

#81 2012-03-16 21:15:45

Chris of One Man's Pony Ramblings just reminded me of an old favorite: Celestia's Teeth. I honestly do not remember what it was about, only that it's one of the most hilarious fanfics I have ever read. I need to reread it. I think it was the funniest dentistry you'll ever encounter, but don't quote me on that.

#82 2012-03-16 21:17:31

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Oh god that was a great one. There's a sequel to it IIRC.

#83 2012-03-17 13:15:14

Starshine wrote:

Oh god that was a great one. There's a sequel to it IIRC.

A sequel? You need to spill, RIGHT NOW. D:

#84 2012-03-17 14:13:20

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Sorry, I'm dumb. I was thinking Calling the Shots was connected with it somehow, but I looked at my fanfic notes file and it's not.

#85 2012-03-17 22:15:26

Starshine wrote:

Sorry, I'm dumb. I was thinking Calling the Shots was connected with it somehow, but I looked at my fanfic notes file and it's not.

Ahh, no, that's by Midnight Shadow. It is, nevertheless, quite an excellent comedy series. smile

#86 2012-03-18 00:45:30

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

It sure is, and to my credit, one of the chapters is at least about dentistry wink

#87 2012-04-03 21:32:23

I have so been neglecting this thread. D:

There were a lot of great fics from the /fic/ writeoff last month: I Dream of Daisies and A Game of Twits.

From the Fimfic writeoff, we've got Where There's Smoke and For I Am a Jelly God, probably my absolute favorite of the bunch.

If you missed April Fools' Day on EQD, you have got to read A Very Special Sunshine Princess. It crosses the line from trollfic into honest to go social commentary.

Flutterlich is very promising if you like Grimdark. It makes me want to throw away my own "Fluttershy turns into a monster" story, because this is just that much better.

The Legend of Star Swirl the Bearded is absolutely incredible. Blueshift never misses a comedic beat, it's just one hilarious turn after another.

I don't know if I mentioned it previously, but Pipsqueak the Valiant's Adventure Journal won the previous /fic/ writeoff. It's absolutely charming.

Full disclosure: I had a major hand in editing the first two chapters, but Prophecy is worth looking at as an example of HiE done right and done well.

Last but not least, Harmony is a killer BioShock crossover. Seriously, this is grade-A amazing stuff here and people are anticipating it will be the next Fallout: Equestria (in popularity anyway; the quality is way better).

#88 2012-04-18 11:40:18

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

It is time to face facts we live in a world where a Fan Fic has topped the New York Times Bestseller List.

Wiki a little bit ago wrote:

"The author originally wrote 'Master of the Universe', using the penname 'Snowqueens Icedragon', as a Twilight fan fiction featuring Edward and Bella. Later James released it as an e-book under the new name and with renamed main characters. ... Fifty Shades of Grey reached No. 1 on the New York Times Best Seller List on 7 March 2012 (combined print and e-books) and by 21 March 2012 the trilogy held the top three positions. ... is expected to encourage the mainstream publication both of more female erotica and of work sourced from material previously published on-line as Fan fiction."

http://en.wikiped0ia.org/wiki/Fifty_Shades_of_Grey

On Amazon there is Lotus Rose's G1 Poniworld chronicles (starting with MachoPoni: A Prance with Death don't get it I bought and read it for a lark its generic bad fanfic trying to be funny & gritty and failing at both* and I can only imagine how bad the prequel is).

But it's only a matter of time before publishers find true master works like Spiderses and adapt them and possibly make them into film.

Hrm...

Spiderses!
A Michael Bay Film.
Starring...

Kristen Stewart as Dawn Sparks
Dolph Lundgren as Giant Macdonald
Maggie Smith as Queen Celest
Chris Barrie as Squire Blade

And introducing the Tupac Hologram as Tubarger!

*Only interesting bit was the Mint Drug bit where a Mint candy turns the world super bright & colorful, allows Macoponi to think very quickly and smooth talk zombie poni soldiers trapping him et cetera...

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#89 2012-04-18 20:08:18

I somehow can't get worked up about this. :B

#90 2012-04-18 21:17:20

VozDeSuenos
Orson Welles' Spirtitual Successor

Hehehehe, yeaaaah, me neither.

#91 2012-04-19 01:30:56

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

I for one am looking forward to Michael Bay directing Spiderses.

#92 2012-05-19 16:56:37

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Well read three fanfics I'd been meaning to read for a while and one Argembarger linked:

FoE: Pink Eyes

This was great, not as well written as say the original or Project Horizons but it had be tearing up at the end with both sadness and joy after Puppysmiles died and then finally found her mother in the afterlife. Kept to a lot of the great themes of F:oE with the twist of Puppysmiles being the vision of a better world that inspires others to being to make the world a better place. I kind of found Trigger Happy to be interesting, she seemed to be very much 'inspired' by early Blackjack (she was surrounded by FoE: PH refs, did a few things like BJ such as an almost schizophrenic morality, similar personality, head of security, action mare who is a bit slow on the take up, ended up being called 'the security mare' in the end, basically she seemed like BJ if she didn't have an utterly bucked up life). Ok, perhaps 'substitute' is a better word. Since Trigger Happy was pretty much Blackjack I kept expecting the Sword of Damocles to fall and her to be hit with a sheer metric ton of pain and suffering... and I was utterly shocked that it never did and she had a freaking happy ending. Holy Crap! It still friggen shocks me!

Also read My Little Dashie:

As I said before I thought it was vastly overrated. It suffered much in my opinion from being too much of a wish fulling fantasy. While it has a theme of ponies improving someone's life which made it relatable the protagonist doesn't really do much with it and turned into kind of a shut-in forsaking the world outside of his bubble (even the brony community) where he was raising Rainbow Dash as his daughter. He wasn't inspired to make his crap hole of a world better, he just shut himself in with his escapist fun with Dashie and somehow won tons of money allowing them to move to the country, and the shitty city somehow improving on its own. So the moral is 'turn on ponies, tune out the world, drop out of society' and play with Dashie in your basement. Yes, be a rock, be an island, with no need of friendship. Perhaps I'm being a bit hard on 'My Little Dashie' but still I think there was a lot of wasted potential in the story even if the author took the same shut-in route. Like what if Dashie was displaced in time and her not going back and not losing her memory would result in the destruction of Equestia instead of the simple Twilight screwed up at magic and we need to take her home again?

The Conversion Bureau

I was right it is the same Avatar/Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas/et cetera over simplistic noble savage story with ponies. I must admit I can insanely confused can someone answer:

1. Is Equestria over populated or not? At the beginning ponies are moving to the Human world because Equestria is becoming overpopulated but later the humans who are converted to ponies are being brought in en masse and it seems like there is tons of space.
2. Why are human world dying out? There is no real reason given at all. All I can think of based on the two OCs actions are chronic stupidity - I mean just dash into the dangerous forest full of deadly monsters for no reason! That's a great idea! Then shoot a branch off a tree for fun and get knocked off a cliff when it hits you!.
3. Why the hell are the Mane 6 working at a random Conversion Bureau and still doing their normal jobs in Ponyville? - that seems like a hell of a commute and waste of them.
4. Why are those two humans special - granted the fic was never finished but I never got any indication that of why Twilight chose them and this could be fixed by dropping something like Berry having experience in the US Peace Corps, skilled in meditation, and perhaps dabbling in ceremonial magic which would give Twilight a reason to think he would be useful. But Ethan, the protagonist is nothing and even Twi wasn't sure why she picked him other than possibly a sidekick for Berry.

Also Fluttershy falling in love with Ethan at pretty much first glance. Really, it went down this route with the obvious Mary Sue?

Also I just really hated the whole Ponies are better than humans because they don't have greed or real 'evil' drives. Bullshit! (I'll stick to S1 since it dates from that point) Luna for one consumed by jealousy and tried to bring Eternal Night, then Trixie with her wishes for adoration, and even if they weren't ponies the diamond dogs who tried to enslave Rarity in order to get gems. Hell, if anything this helps the Buddhist argument of Human Beings being superior since they are in the middle not too mired in suffering or too carefree with pleasure, not too smart nor too dumb, and thus capable of and being utterly free to perform the highest acts of 'good' and the lowest acts of 'evil' both. This would have worked better if the ponies were just different to humans culturally instead of human being evil at heart in their damned basic natures. It's kind of disheartening that the author takes such a dim view of human nature to just utterly classify it as evil and something that needs to be scrubbed out. But still it's another wish fulling fantasy fic so maybe I'm being too hard on it... I would probably jump at the chance to become a pony and go to Equestria and explore it but in Conversion Bureau's world I am not sure I would do so.

Also one other major problem: WHY THE BUCK DID CELESTIA PUT THE ELEMENTS OF HARMONY BACK IN THE RUINS!!!! Why put everything that's remotely useful in like the ruins instead of at the very least locked up in Canterlot (which was done in S2 - it's better but still rather stupid for emergencies)? Hrm... We might need the elements in the future during a crisis... I know let's put them in the ruins in the middle of the cursed forest utterly outside of our pony magical control so that one would need to prepare for a long dangerous journey there and it would take a long time to get them. Why not just put them on the moon Celestia? Seriously WTF?

If the ground falls

Utter crap.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#93 2012-05-19 18:34:47

HuskSummers
Dohi Waya (Peaceful Wolf)

Just wondering if it is okay for Shameless Self-Promotion here...even though I'm pretty ashamed when I do so.

Don't argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with Experience
Vivat Nocte!-Long live the Night! New Lunar Republic!
Lupine Nation (Servants to the New Lunar Republic)

#94 2012-05-19 18:36:26

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

HuskSummers wrote:

Just wondering if it is okay for Shameless Self-Promotion here...even though I'm pretty ashamed when I do so.

Go ahead!

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#95 2012-05-19 18:54:37

HuskSummers
Dohi Waya (Peaceful Wolf)

okay then...

I currently am writing a fic and it's going to be a long one. I have 6 chapters done and  plan on 15 or more...I'm already at 19k+ words.

It's called Memories

It's about an earth pony stallion who wakes up after an accident involving Rainbow Dash. He remembers nothing(Yes amnesia is overused, but it is actually a very important part of the plot). Due to this the Mane 6 decide to help him since it was RD's fault. At the same time a race of wolves that call themselves the Lupine are at war with the Griffons(This is explained in the story). This war to the North threatens to spill over into Equestria and so Princess Celestia forces the two sides into cease-fire talks.

There is so much of the story that I would give away if I added much else to the summary...sorry.

If y'all read it I'd appreciate a comment/critique. As I'm always trying to get better and I know I could use correction. It is a WIP, and these types of comments make me into a better writer.

Don't argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with Experience
Vivat Nocte!-Long live the Night! New Lunar Republic!
Lupine Nation (Servants to the New Lunar Republic)

#96 2012-05-19 20:02:27

Fire Blossom

TwitterPonies:Fire Blossom, Silver Note
thorn_standing_r_by_lewa008-d7xmgr5.gifblossom_looking_nice_l_by_lewa008-d7xmh01.gif

#97 2012-05-20 02:02:17

eaglehooves
Procrastinating with ponies, again.

Arcane Flame wrote:

Agreed. I will never get that time back.

Shame TCB wasn't that good. Never read the mane one, but some of the side ones are entertaining. (cue sh*tstorm)
Agreed on Fo:E Pink Eyes. I personally found the mane too bleak to get into and never tried Project Horizons, but really liked this one. I credit it to Puppysmiles optimism and the subtle humor.
Agreed on MLD too. Every time I look at it again I find something new I don't like. Writing and plot and characterization aside, quickly glancing over it again he seems pretty harsh on city life. (Semi-off-topic rant) The way the 'seen better days' neighborhood he sets the scene with feels off and the way he overlooks all the good parts of city life makes me think he never actually lived in a big city. My experience is short and not truly city life, but even so I think I know enough about it to call BS. "City is dirty/run-down/no one there cares/ect., things are better in the country" seems to be something people living in suburbs think, and annoys me to no end. Also, 100 miles from the city and 5 miles from the nearest house seems like a poorly planned dream. Sounds like someone wants some fresh air and elbow room but hasn't thought about human contact or shopping. Tl:dr something feels wrong about what he has to say about both city and country life. (/mytwobits)

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-hard-at-work1.jpg
Random journals and the occasional post -> http://eaglehooves.deviantart.com/
Also now on Steam! http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198040248536
Do ponies really even read signatures?

#98 2012-08-23 23:56:42

Csquared08
Sing my song and become nothing.

I somehow missed this thread. And now I feel bad about starting two separate threads that completely laugh in its face... hmm

"If all I care about in life is the imprints I make in this world, then the most I'll ever leave is a grave." - Lyra, Background Pony
Flutterlicious_Banner_Csquared08_Gift.png

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB