Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-18 21:46:02

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Character Help - Sugar's Sister.

Ok I'm stumped trying to come up for a name and look for the character who will be Sugar Grape's sister (possible background here: http://forums.bucked.org/viewtopic.php?pid=10871#p10871 ). Current look is probably a bit too close to Blackjack from FoE:PH, who's a major inspiration although Sugar's sister is going to end up fairly different and the similarity is mostly going to be along the lines of the Jack Archetype and related characters like Jack Sparrow, Jack Stiles, Jack O'Neill,  and others who are more than often than not have Jack in their names or in their nickname).

GrapesSisyV001.png

Sugar's sister is kind of attention seeking since all the praise was centered on her sister and all her accomplishments which she didn't match and as only an average flyer she never really excelled elsewhere. Despite her actions she is actually smarter than she lets on and smarter than she herself believes that she is due to always feeling dumb when not living up to her Parent's high expectations. She's basically a character who will be playing a kind of a Shakespearean fool role and be a foil for Arcane Flame's more proper and serious public attitude.

Only name I can think of is 'Sweet Grape' which is kind of lazy and no good ideas for a cutie mark.

Only suggestion I've gotten was 'Morning Glory' which as actually a serious idea - person who suggested it didn't know anything about FoE:PH and needless to say calling her 'Morning Glory' would be kinda really weird with a look being a homage which is probably too far in the Blackjack direction but I'm not having having any good ideas regarding this pony outside of personality, motivations, and though processes.

Last edited by Arcane Flame (2012-04-18 23:45:48)

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#2 2012-04-18 22:58:17

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

Re: Character Help - Sugar's Sister.

know it's not a great name, but Sunny (or shady) Shiraz? I know you may not want to name your pony after a wine, but I feel it plays a bit to the Jack archetype, and if you used the word shady it might play a little to the "living in the shadow" thoughts you were have, but sunny I think could fit her personality better.

I walk a thin line between insane and completely out of my mind.
Normal is boring.

#3 2012-04-18 23:13:50

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Lilac_Iris wrote:

know it's not a great name, but Sunny (or shady) Shiraz? I know you may not want to name your pony after a wine, but I feel it plays a bit to the Jack archetype, and if you used the word shady it might play a little to the "living in the shadow" thoughts you were have, but sunny I think could fit her personality better.

Hrm. Sunny Syrah might not be too bad but I'm not really feeling it (and since the grape variety is know for its some what spicy flavor it would be a good play with her sister Sugar Grape). I also considered Spicy Grape but it also didn't feel right.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#4 2012-04-18 23:37:52

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

I can understand that, i will keep my mind open in case any inspiration flies in.

I walk a thin line between insane and completely out of my mind.
Normal is boring.

#5 2012-04-25 20:16:44

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Ok, after entering a crazy tired period (about 48 hours of no sleep) I got struck by inspiration (I'm going to blame Pegasus, the horse of the muses since it just seems appropriate tongue ) and got a flash which gave me a redesign of her, her cutie mark, and a cutie mark story.

Lunar_Shine.png

How's this: Lunar Shine (playing on the lesser light thing).

Her cutie mark:

NightJackCM.png

As a filly one Nightmare Night Lunar Shine (who was dressed as Nightmare Moon) wandered into the Everfree Forest after being bored and being fool-hearty she came across another filly (possibly Bon Bon for an ironic tie) who wandered into the forest after being teased was being chased by Timber Wolves. Shine swooped in grabbed the filly and saved her, later also evading and outsmarting a cockatrice using her reflective costume armor turning the cockatrice itself to stone.

Lunar Shine's Cutie Mark then appeared a Crescent Moon and a Jack of Spades. She found her calling as a guardian of the night and had things gone normally Lunar Shine would have eventually become a distinguished member of the Lunar Guards. But... The Everfree had the last laugh as she with the injured filly on her back walked through a patch of Poison Joke. Lunar Shine upon exiting the forest left the filly at the Nightmare Moon statue where the filly was later found (poison joke had healed her and she thought the events were a dream) and the Poison Joke began taking effect on Lunar Shine herself erasing her memory of the entire night and giving her the physical effects of being extremely drunk on cider. Everypony assumes she just got into cider and got drunk and her cutie mark is about having a wild night (playing on the double meaning of the Jack as both the original Knave (a servant of Royalty/Nobility) and the Jack, which knaves were also called, but connected them to the 'Jack' trickster figures). Besides her distress at not being like her sister she thinks her destiny is to be a party girl which doesn't help things.

Also derisive nickname: 'Nightjack'

So any thoughts?

Last edited by Arcane Flame (2012-04-25 20:24:13)

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB