You are not logged in.

#51 2012-06-18 19:01:23

Acheron187
Everyday I'm Pinkieing!

Re: What are you reading right now?

PresentPerfect wrote:
twitchy.717043 wrote:

How is Friendquisition?

I love the hell out of it. It's one of my top favorites right now. It's not done too well on EQD, but from what I understand, that's because Warhammer fans wanted something far darker in tone. He's done an excellent job of mixing the worlds together while still keeping it pony, not to mention the characters are great. I highly recommend it, but then I'm also a little biased.

I didn't realize there was a fan fic like that I may check that out, is it Warhammer Fantasy or Warhammer 40K?

Welcome to the Madness(Marture/Dark RP)REBOOT!!! - http://forums.bucked.org/viewtopic.php?id=2975
Fashion_pony_banner.png

#52 2012-06-19 06:53:52

Griffin2x
MvM FTW

Holy chit, I just looked at my stats on FimFiction 16.5 million words read... I know I read a lot since I have nothing else to do at work but goddamn.

Why is it anyone lives in Ponyville? its seems to be a disaster magnet, its a half an hours from a forest of nasties, 2 hours from a place called ghastly gorge which has such a lovely name, and less than a days run from the very gates of hell.  Property values must suuuuuck.

#53 2012-06-19 19:12:41

Csquared08
Sing my song and become nothing.

So I finished catching up on Bringing Up Blueblood. I actually feel sorry for that worthless piece of flesh hmm

And now for ponyfics, I'm re-reading The End of Ponies.

"If all I care about in life is the imprints I make in this world, then the most I'll ever leave is a grave." - Lyra, Background Pony
Flutterlicious_Banner_Csquared08_Gift.png

#54 2012-06-20 00:35:02

StrongStomp

My main focus is on The Next 100 Years: A Forecast for the 21st Century by George Friedman. It's a very interesting read, even if the author is controversial. I disagree with some elements of his geopolitical predictions, like his over-glorification of the Japanese army (which is now a glorified police force due to the treaties at the end of WWII), but much of his predictions are logical and easy to understand. I recommend this is you want to see how unpredictable and predictable the world can be at the same time.

In the fandom, I'm finishing up on The Ballad of Echo the Diamond Dog by Rust. It's a decent read if you can get past the Mary Sue of a main character and the continuity errors. After that is either Background Pony, Choices, or Excerpts from a Filthy Diary. I haven't decided the order.

#55 2012-06-20 00:41:22

obcom
Hero

Picked up "Caliban's War" by James S.A. Corey today. I wonder why I'm wasting time writing when I could be reading it.

#56 2012-06-20 00:46:05

Csquared08

Believing Stories finished today, and my mind is gone. So many mind games, and my mind is taking each one and spinning it around, and grabbing the next one before it's done with the other(s). It was a great story, though.

"If all I care about in life is the imprints I make in this world, then the most I'll ever leave is a grave." - Lyra, Background Pony

#57 2012-06-20 08:28:32

Fire Blossom

I'm not really reading it, but i'm creating Brave to the Soul in my mind while i write it...just need about 2k more words to be happy with the chapter...

TwitterPonies:Fire Blossom, Silver Note
thorn_standing_r_by_lewa008-d7xmgr5.gifblossom_looking_nice_l_by_lewa008-d7xmh01.gif

#58 2012-06-20 14:30:59

edinpony
Life is an adventure!

I've just been rereading "And Another Thing", the sixth book in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy.

#59 2012-06-21 00:09:00

Csquared08

Much to my pleasant surprise, Lost Time updated (and finished) today. I am happy big_smile

#60 2012-06-21 19:33:33

I should probably plug that right now, I'm busy reading the entries in the latest /fic/ writeoff: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/33043/Cutting-Ties

I've got one in there, of course, but I won't say which. I also haven't read anything stellar yet, but there's a lot to go through. About a week and a half left for voting!

#61 2012-06-26 11:44:15

Csquared08

I tend to do a lot of ponyfic reading, so every Tuesday, I'll be posting the ponyfics I've read this past week. Lucky you! tongue

We're gonna start with the updates:
Not All Who Wander Are Lost - Tragedy, Sad, Adventure
Lost Time - It finished! - Sad, Dark, Adventure
The Seven Tribes - Sad, Dark, Adventure, Alternate Universe
Guilt and Hate - Tragedy, Adventure
Fluttershy's Bad 'Hare' Day - It finished! - Comedy, Adventure, Slice of Life

Now for new stories that I started this week:
Two Stallions - Sad, Slice of Life
Two Fillies - Sad, Slice of Life
Somewhere Only We Know - Sad, Alternate Universe
The Last Tears in Tartarus - Tragedy, Sad, Dark
Statues - Sad, Dark, Slice of Life
This is War - Random
Smoke and Mirrors - Sad, Comedy, Adventure, Slice of Life
Extremely Terrible and Horrifying Stories - Comedy
Petriculture - Slice of Life
A Simpler Time - Comedy, Slice of Life
Role Reversal - Adventure, Slice of Life
Red Wings - Sad, Dark, Adventure

Oh, and I'm 4 chapters into my The End of Ponies re-read. (Tragedy, Sad, Dark, Adventure)

Look at all that Sad!

#62 2012-06-26 18:20:45

You should give a little blurb on what you thought about each, Csquared. smile With that much reading, surely you have opinions!

#63 2012-06-26 18:53:33

Csquared08

PresentPerfect wrote:

You should give a little blurb on what you thought about each, Csquared. smile With that much reading, surely you have opinions!

You want a little blurb? Alright, here we go.

Starting with the updates:
Finally an update here! In any event, after a few chapters providing some backstory and character development, so plot moves along. Scootaloo has begun her quest, and I predict that Applebloom and Sweetie Belle will be joining her, despite Scoot's attempts to go alone.
Lost Time - It finished! - Sad, Dark, Adventure
It finally finished! Yay! The beginning of this story was much better than the end, but the end was still pretty good. Without giving too much away, the ending was rather depressing, even if things ended up working out. And the backstory given for our two favorite princesses was rather haunting, to say the least.
I'm not really buying that all those supposedly loyal sea creatures were in fact under the control of that Terra Pony. Something's up, and I want to know what that is.
Luckily for the Elements of Harmony, Twilight will in fact be able to use magic again. Not sure if that'll be much help, though. Rainbow Dash is forever grounded, Fluttershy is in a coma, Scootaloo released Vengeance, who is causing all sorts of havoc. And Deception wasn't actually Deception, which means the real Deception is out running around somewhere. And Indicina's on the loose. So, yeah, Twilight will be able to use magic again. Woo-hoo hmm
Fluttershy's Bad 'Hare' Day - It finished! - Comedy, Adventure, Slice of Life
This story was absolutely fantastic, and Angel's development throughout was exemplified in the final chapter. Tank is amazing, Gummy is hilarious, and Jim is a god. Sadly, we didn't see Philomena, but that's ok. The other pets were awesome.

Now for the new stuff:
Two Stallions - Sad, Slice of Life
Just a nice, short little story about the relationship between Fluttershy's and Rainbow Dash's parents and the circumstances surrounding their births.
Two Fillies - Sad, Slice of Life
The sequel to Two Stallions. Only 1k words so far, but it's shaping up to be a similar sort of story to Two Stallions.
Somewhere Only We Know - Sad, Alternate Universe
A very depressing story featuring Rainbow Dash in what appears to be 19th century USA. She dreams of her life in Equestria. A very haunting tale, overall. Featured in the second Blast from the Past: Fanfic Edition on EqD.
The Last Tears in Tartarus - Tragedy, Sad, Dark
Shortskirtsandexplosions did it again. In only 17k words this time around, he crafts an incredibly dark world, a world overrun by the creatures once bound in Tartarus. The equine races have been completely subjugated and now toil as slaves for their demonic overlords. The hero of our story, Number 83, is tragic figure, forever doomed to die. At the end, though, he has accomplished what he set out to do, and greets death as a friend, a way of release from the trials of his life.
From the author of "Believing Stories," the scene has been set for what could potentially be a very dark tale. Not nearly as many mind games as her previous story, though.
This is War - Random
Filly Celestia and filly Luna going to war with their stuffed animals? So. Much. Cute smile
A changeling crash lands in the Everfree Forest near Fluttershy's cottage, snaps her horn, and encounters Pinkie and Fluttershy. By this point, though, our changeling friend, Mirror Match, has contracted 'empathy sickness,' giving her the ability to actually experience emotions such as love, guilt, sorrow, etc. This coincides with a planned changeling invasion of Ponyville (though Chrysalis is nowhere to be found). Hilarity ensues.
Extremely Terrible and Horrifying Stories - Comedy
The Author, in an attempt to write horribly grimdark stories, contracts the services of the Mane 6 to go about mutilating each other. However, nothing goes as planned, much to The Author's chagrin.
Petriculture - Slice of Life
An excellent story providing very interesting backstory for Twilight and Pinkie.
A Simpler Time - Comedy, Slice of Life
1844_r.jpg
That about sums it up. So much cute big_smile
Spike makes a wish without thinking - and it comes true. Now he finds himself in an alternate universe where he has switched places with Twilight. A very interesting tale on being careful what you wish for.
An official side-story to "The End of Ponies." This fic stars Red, a Diamond Dog who, as a pup, survived the Cataclysm along with most (or maybe just some) of his pack. Now, about 20 years later, he's a master mechanic and runs an air strip. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the Wastelands now that EoP has moved on to primarily detailing Harmony's adventure in Equestria shortly before the Cataclysm.

#64 2012-06-26 19:50:02

Fire Blossom

ive been too busy trying to brain storm for my story to read all that much.

TwitterPonies:Fire Blossom, Silver Note
thorn_standing_r_by_lewa008-d7xmgr5.gifblossom_looking_nice_l_by_lewa008-d7xmh01.gif

#65 2012-06-26 19:51:34

Csquared08

Oh, I forgot to mention I finished up Honoured Enemy and am now moving on to Murder in LaMut.

#66 2012-07-03 20:06:54

Csquared08

Well, it's Tuesday again. So it's time to force all of my week's reading upon all of you big_smile
And, as by request, there's even a sentence or two description either about the story or my thoughts on the story. Or both.

So, first, updates:
Background Pony - Sad, Random, Slice of Life
So now we know quite a bit of history behind the curse. An excellent chapter, solidifying it as 2nd best ponyfic, behind The End of Ponies. Funnily enough, both are written by Shortskirtsandexplosions. But if you do nothing else, read this and The End of Ponies. Both are fantastic stories.
The Steadfast Sky - Adventure
A very nice friendshipping adventure starring Celestia, Luna, and Discord. It finally updated and moved the plot along nicely. Hopefully we don't have to wait so long for the next update...
Anthropology - Comedy, Adventure, Slice of Life, Human
So the EoH failed to stop Discord. The solution? Lyra leads a human group of 6 to use the Elements instead. All of my yes.
As much as I enjoy the griffon-oriented backstory for Rainbow Dash, I just don't buy that she completely went over to the griffon lifestyle. I can buy that she eats meat, but hunting? Not so much...
Twilight is meeting with one of the dragon leaders who works with Vengeance and the leader of a rebel pony group intent on democracy for Equestria. What could possibly go wrong? hmm
Also, this story (and its predecessor) needs a Dark tag. And a Sad tag.
And so Red's hunt for the Last Pony begins... Looking forward to more!
Bringing Up Blueblood - Random, Slice of Life
And this is the chapter where I start to actually like Blueblood. What has the world come to?!?
With one chapter to go, this story has become a dark tale on what it means to sacrifice everything for the ones you love. Very well-done. I look forward to the final chapter tomorrow night.

Now the new stuff:
Hereditary - Sad, Slice of Life
A very nice Derpy backstory fic. It was additionally a very interesting take on Screwball and Screwloose.
Her Beautiful Heart - Tragedy, Sad, Dark
I still don't know how I feel about this story. I mean, it was well-written and effective, but did I like it a lot? A little? Hate it? Simply dislike it? Indifference? I have no idea hmm
Mother's Day in Ponyville - Sad, Slice of Life
Just a nice short story on Applejack on Mother's Day. Good, but nothing spectacular.
Smiling Flowers - Sad, Slice of Life
A very nice story starring Cheerilee detailing what a cutie mark truly means.
On Wings of Change - Adventure
A very interesting Twilight-becomes-an-alicorn fic started and put on hiatus 3 months ago. Now that the story is properly outlined (it's going to be a long one), the author has since begun rewriting what he had. He put up the first chapter of the rewrite this week, but I haven't read it yet. I've only read the first chapter of the old version, and people have said the new one is much better, so I'm looking forward to reading it.
Why Am I Pinkie Pie?! - Comedy, Random, Human
An absolutely hilarious tale about a human who finds himself trapped inside Pinkie's body. Hilarity ensues.

And no progress was made in The End of Ponies reread hmm

Last edited by Csquared08 (2012-07-10 12:35:04)

#67 2012-07-04 19:43:22

Finally finished reading all the Cutting Ties entries, plus my grunge book. Now I'm on "Bird by Bird" by Annie Lamott (I have no idea what her name is lol), which is fun if not altogether informative. It's a book for writers.

#68 2012-07-07 13:59:05

ChaosGnostic

Right now I am reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins because I unfortunately have a girlfriend. neutral
Better than I expected, which isn't saying much... Feels like a political book for seventh graders.

Going to read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card next.

#69 2012-07-07 15:19:11

Csquared08

ChaosGnostic wrote:

Right now I am reading The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins because I unfortunately have a girlfriend. neutral
Better than I expected, which isn't saying much... Feels like a political book for seventh graders.

Going to read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card next.

The first one was definitely the best. After that, though, they get worse. Still entertaining, but nothing special.

And I need to read Ender's Game as well hmm

#70 2012-07-08 00:26:23

Csquared08

I finished Murder in LaMut. I had forgotten the murder didn't actually happen until the book only had about 70 pages left hmm

But now that that's done, and now that I've finally acquired book 2 in the series, I can finally (finally!) read the The Empire Trilogy! Knowing me, I'll probably plow through the whole trilogy in the next couple days. Anywho, starting with Daughter of the Empire tonight.

Last edited by Csquared08 (2012-07-08 00:26:41)

#71 2012-07-10 12:52:33

Csquared08

Oh, it's Tuesday again. Story time!

So, first, updates:
Background Pony - Sad, Random, Slice of Life
I'm gonna sum up my thoughts here with a quote from the beginning of the chapter:
"When our days come to a close, what is more important?  Should we be able to remember all that’s happened in our lives, or should we endeavor for other ponies to be the bearers of our legacies?  Which of the two outcomes makes us more permanent... or at least feel permanent?  Is it more important to be something, while sacrificing the ability to feel what it means to be that something?"
The human candidates for EoH have gathered. Show-time!
Applebloom the "zombie" is hilarious. "Rar! Ah'm hungry fer brains! Diamond Tiara, yer safe."
Bruce made an appearance! All of my yes!
Statues - It finished! - Sad, Dark, Slice of Life
The end to this story was, well, haunting. A very good story. That she was the only one... *shudders*
Smiling Flowers - It finished! - Sad, Slice of Life
The ending to this story was absolutely fantastic, wrapping up the issues with cutie marks very nicely.
On Wings of Change - Adventure
The rewritten 1st chapter is nearly double the length of the original. It covers significantly less time. I'm already pleased big_smile
Why Am I Pinkie Pie?! - Comedy, Random, Human
So much hilarity. So many shenanigans.
The Great Brony Migration - Comedy, Adventure, Alternate Universe, Human
A nice update that hopefully leads to some explanations the next chapter.
Filly Twilight is adorable, and even though Spike screwed up royally, he's really coming along nicely in this story.
The battle for Ponyville begins, the High General shows up, and, suddenly, Chrysalis! This shall prove to be most interesting.

Now the new stuff:
Ditz and Spitz: Origin of Derpy - Sad
Who woulda thunk... Spitfire and Derpy as childhood best friends? And oh my, does it work. Fantastic story.
Under Your Wings - Sad, Slice of Life
Sad Scootadash, but this one was focused more on Scootaloo's backstory, which was very well done. Another excellent story.
Lightning Strikes - Adventure, Slice of Life
I enjoyed the story, I did. But the ending didn't quite sit right with me. Still, a nice little changeling story.
Inscape - Adventure
The sequel to Petriculture. And this is shaping up to be just as good, if not better, than its predecessor. I knew Nightmare Moon was tagged, but I had no idea how she would come into play. And when I realized what was happening... Oh my O_o
Fighting Smoke - Dark, Random, Adventure, Human
From the author of Believing Stories and Statues, we have yet another dark tale, though this one is more along the lines of Believing Stories with widespread mind screwiness.

And no progress was made in The End of Ponies reread... again hmm

And as for real stuff, the Empire Trilogy is awesome. I'm so glad I waited to get book 2 before I started reading it. Otherwise, I probably would have been throwing things when I finished book 1 and then not be able to read book 2.

Oh look, three posts in a row hmm

Last edited by Csquared08 (2012-07-10 12:53:27)

#72 2012-07-10 20:22:51

Ahh, I love Ditz and Spitz! I was so happy when it got up on EQD. big_smile

Forgot to mention that I recently listened to Mr. Kenyon's reading of The Day My Beard Turned Into Pinkie Pie. That story is really hilarious, especially if you love absurdity.

#73 2012-07-10 20:40:04

Csquared08

PresentPerfect wrote:

Ahh, I love Ditz and Spitz! I was so happy when it got up on EQD. big_smile

Forgot to mention that I recently listened to Mr. Kenyon's reading of The Day My Beard Turned Into Pinkie Pie. That story is really hilarious, especially if you love absurdity.

I am too, because otherwise, I'm not sure if I would have noticed it. Such a great story. I can't wait for the next chapter!

And The Day My Beard Turned Into Pinkie Pie has been added to my ever-growing list of Read Later. And on the note of things turning Pinkie Pie, I direct you to Why Am I Pinkie Pie?! located in the updates section of my recent Tuesday post of stories. Very funny. And insane.

#74 2012-07-17 13:40:11

Csquared08

It's Tuesday again, so time to force all my reading down your throat. And you're going to like it! big_smile
This is also the week where I start two massive projects. The first is Wheller's long series of stories (33 of them to be exact), and the second is the massive story that is Fallout: Equestria.

So, first, updates:
Well that was certainly rather exciting, if slightly anti-climatic. Still, a very nice update that made the whole story eerily (and creepily) similar to the FiM Season 1 opening. I'm okay with this.
Inscape - Adventure
This story certainly took a turn for the strange, but it was a great one. Imaginary friend Pinkie is best Pinkie.
Fighting Smoke - Dark, Random, Adventure, Human
Mind games, son. Mind games.
Scoots has begun her journey... and promptly missed her train stop. What a great start! roll
One Simple Choice - Sad, Slice of Life
This had only one chapter which went through a rewrite this week. As with On Wings of Change, the rewrite went over a smaller period of time, but used quite a few more words. I'm pleased.
The Steadfast Sky - Adventure
A very interesting chapter, written as though it was made for a history book of sorts. As in, it is made clear this chapter was written by one pony as means of recording the happenings for later viewing.
Bringing Up Blueblood - Random, Slice of Life
This is clearly madness. I'm beginning to like Blueblood more and more as he figures out how he is to become a better pony.

Now the new stuff, of which there is a crapton:
A Flier's Inner Fire - Sad, Slice of Life
A very nice Spitfire backstory.
Never - Sad
Dagnabbit, Skirts! I was feeling all happy this week because you didn't update "Background Pony," but then you go and post this. Now I'm feeling all sad, and we didn't even have to see Lyra suffer through another 20k words of pure depression.
Dear Ponyville - Sad, Adventure, Slice of Life
Finally got around to reading this, and boy was it a good one. I really dislike the idea of getting old and moving away and such now... Confound these sad fics! They drive me to tears, but I enjoy them so... hmm
Fallout: Equestria - Dark, Adventure, Crossover
I'm 17 chapters in so far, and this has been quite a good story. Drove me to buy Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas while they were on sale. My only complaint is that Littlepip's concerns over romance and such are really annoying and seem out of place in a world where you might not survive to see the next day. But that's just me.
Breeze - Sad, Adventure, Alternate Universe
This is turning out to be quite the excellent story. And from the author of A Rose is a Rose, I expected no less. I am quite pleased.
Forsaken - Sad, Dark, Adventure
"Twilight is accused of attempting to murder Celestia? Oooo, this could be interesting." And yes it was. A very good story.
Discordant - Adventure
This story just solidifies Discord as best villain.
The Toast - Slice of Life
A TypewriterError story that isn't Dark? Madness!
Questionable - Random
Yes, N, this story was very questionable. And yes, challenge was probably failed. But it was hilarious. Now excuse me while I go try to fix my burned eyes...
Working as Intended - Comedy, Random
"Reading Rainbow" got a sequel?!? Excellent.
Veil of Thoughts - Sad
Tag says Sad. I go with Random. Nonetheless, a great story that left me saying, "Sun-a-horn is best princess."
A Still More Glorious Dawn Awaits - Dark, Alternate Universe
Everything is different... I'm thoroughly intrigued.
Wheller's Stuff
I'm lazy, so those are all of Wheller's stories. I've read the first 5 in the "All Good Things" series. I should mention that my goal is to read "Parliament of Dreams." That story looks very interesting, but it's #32 in the series... Sigh...
1. "The Kindness of Strangers" - Tragedy, Dark
A good start. I finished the story wanting to know more.
2. "Putting the Pieces Back Together" - Tragedy, Dark
A little more is explained, but ultimately left many more questions than answers.
3. "Midnight in the Heart of Equestria" - Tragedy, Dark
Those Chaos Cultists are truly quite annoying.
4. "Tomorrow is Always a New Day" - Tragedy, Dark, Adventure
The Kangaroos are at war with the Griffins. Also, the Kangaroos have tanks. That's awesome.
5. "To Each Their Own" - Tragedy, Dark, Adventure
After 5 stories in this series, I still don't know what's going on. There's a lot of backstory that needs to be explained.

And one more chapter was read in the The End of Ponies reread. 5 down, 19 to go...

And as for real stuff, the Empire Trilogy is really quite awesome. I'm about halfway through book 2, and I've enjoyed every page so far.

#75 2012-07-17 19:29:59

Just finished "Who Moved My Cheese?" and am moving onto a novella by Jim Butcher in the Dresden Files series called "Backup".

I also listened to a guy reading "Reading Rainbow", which I hated, and "Directive: Grow", which I'm liking, but sadly he's only done the first three chapters. D:

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB