Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-19 14:23:39

rpb3000
Seapony Tears and Provolone

Initial Five-Minute Review

Biggest complaints I have right now:

*Boxy, unpolished look & feel
*Lack of all the useful buttons that on forums normally go above the reply box that let you do useful things like embed images, code, links, quotes, etc in addition to formatting your text  (not errehponeh knows BBCode or HTML; I'd go so far as to wager most don't)
*general site slowness
*inability to embed Youtube links  (obviously embedding works somehow, as formerly embedded vids show up; however, I tried direct short "share" link, direct link, and embed code from the vid and none worked at least via preview mode)

Explain to me again what was wrong with the old forums?  I'm not seeing much in the way of benefits here >_>

Wuzzit?

#2 2012-01-19 17:03:20

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Re: Initial Five-Minute Review

You had all last week to complain.

#3 2012-01-19 20:32:04

Trombe
Boo.

Not that I have any complaints right now, but I definitely would like to put it out there that the voicing of opinions on group matters does not have a time limit.

John: The BBcode has a big fancy link at the bottom of the edit page with a key to every single function. It's not that big of a deal. However, I don't see why REMOVING the user-friendly buttons was a good idea, either.

I have yet to experience slowness, but you bet I'll report on anything that I do experience.

#4 2012-01-19 22:08:10

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

> the voicing of opinions on group matters does not have a time limit

Of course not. I'm just rather annoyed that I had the forum up for a week specifically for people to try it out and complain about things before he bothered to look.

Nothing's been "removed" - it just isn't implemented in this forum software. Flux is really thin by default, but we can add to it. In fact the huge advantage of moving off of that free host and onto a proper server is that I can hack at it and change things.

I'd also like to point out some statistics for this forum, as of right before I submit this post:

• 382 posts use quote tags

• 117 posts use images or other embedded content

• 72 posts use bold, italic, or underlined text

• 25 posts use all of the other BBCode tags combined.

• Less than 1/3 of the posts even make use of any formatting tags at all

Further: most of the other boards I've been on haven't had any sort of graphical editor, and some don't even have a help page, but people still get along fine with them. Also, the largest message board in the world (2channel) has no text formatting capabilities whatsoever. wink

Anyway, I'm working on adding a fancypants editor thing.

#5 2012-01-20 01:52:21

rpb3000
Seapony Tears and Provolone

Stop confusing imageboards with forums! XD

Wuzzit?

#6 2012-01-20 03:15:32

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

2channel is not an imageboard. wink
http://www.2ch.net/
It even has user registrations and stuff these days.

Maybe I just gravitate toward places that have stripped down interfaces, but even the phpbb-style forums I've been familiar with just have plain text boxes for writing text. *shrug*

#7 2012-01-20 10:25:58

speedwagon

It's possibly because I'm the only one on the board right now, but it's definitely loading way faster than the old board. And mark me down as another person who loves message boards with minimalist designs.

Also, are custom smilies an option with Flux? Because those are awesome.

#8 2012-01-20 16:40:09

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Custom smilies meaning what precisely - other sets of them, or more bits of text to replace with graphical representations? Either way, that wouldn't be difficult at all.

#9 2012-01-20 20:48:27

One very minor thing: would it be possible to put a "mark this forum read" link at the top of each forum? It's currently just at the bottom.

Last edited by PresentPerfect (2012-01-20 20:48:49)

#10 2012-01-25 05:22:28

Trombe
Boo.

If we're doing custom smilies, I have a bit of experience in that. Another forum I frequented a while ago used a :text: trigger for the smilies, allowing any text to trigger a specific image from a database of smilies (which were, in all honesty, mostly small image macros.) I'm sure we could do something like that or better if we felt like it.

Do we feel like it? :3

#11 2012-01-25 16:48:59

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Sure, that's how a couple of the built in ones work. Let's keep it sensible and not turn this board into SA, though. tongue

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB