Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-08-23 23:24:49

Csquared08
Sing my song and become nothing.

Re: Csquared's Fic Recommendation of the Every Other Day

Get ready for the blues, because you're about to be tangled up in them!

(Ha! It's funny because the title of the fic is... Yeah, bad joke is bad... I'll stop now...)

Tangled Up in Blues

TangledUpinBlues.png

The Descendant

My rating: 6/6 - 15/236

My thoughts: Blues is a colt who befriends an old stallion named Moody. Moody is a fairly wise old pony, giving Blues some solid advice in addition to teaching Blues how to better play the saxophone. Eventually, Blues moves out on to Ponyville and begins to make a life for himself. But, as the title suggests, he is tangled up in blues. His luck isn't the greatest and trouble seems to follow him everywhere he goes. After some moving around, Blues finds himself once again in Ponyville. This time, though, things go better for him. With a couple other enterprising young colts, he opens up a blues club in Ponyville. In the end, though he was tangled up in blues, Blues takes them as the positive thing Moody insisted they were.

My verdict: This is an awesomely awesome story. If you like good writing (and who doesn't?), this is the story for you. Read it.

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, comment, and give a thumb and favorite if applicable. Maybe even a watch to the author. And The Descendant will respond to any comment you make and thank you for any watch or favorite you give him. He's awesome like that big_smile

NOW READ big_smile

"If all I care about in life is the imprints I make in this world, then the most I'll ever leave is a grave." - Lyra, Background Pony
Flutterlicious_Banner_Csquared08_Gift.png

#27 2012-08-26 12:36:42

Csquared08

Ho boy have I got a gem for you today, let me tell ya what. No, seriously. It's awesomely awesome.

WHOOSH!

Fluttershy's Guardian

FluttershysGuardian-TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOL.png

Author: nexusthedarkpegasus

My rating: 11/10 - 1/9001

My thoughts: HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF CELESTIA! THIS FIC WAS AMAZING! THIS KID, NEXUS, MAN, LET ME TELL YA WHAT. HE'S GOT CONNECTIONS, BRO. CONNECTIONS. AND HIS CLOTHES, THEY CAN TAKE A BEATING. A BEATING, I TELL YA. AND YOU CAN'T FORGET THE KNIVES, BRO. KNIVES! THAT POSSUM DIDN'T KNOW WHAT HIT IT. BUT HE BETTER WATCH OUT FOR AUSTRALIA BECAUSE EVERY ANIMAL THERE WILL BE OUT TO KILL HIM. AND HIS HOUSE IS A FREAKING FORTRESS, I SAY. A MOTHER-BUCKING FORTRESS. FACIAL RECOGNITION CAMERAS AND KNOCKOUT DART-SHOOTERS. I AIN'T EVER GOING CLOSE TO THAT HOUSE, LET ME TELL YA.
WHOOSH!

My verdict: WHY IN CELESTIA'S NAME WOULD YOU NOT WANT TO READ ABOUT THE BEST NIGHT EVER?

My demands: READ THIS RIGHT NOW. IT'S SERIOUSLY THE BEST FIC EVER!!!!1!!!

Pffwbtchtbwpft...
tumblr_m72binhe3r1rt35ru.gif
Calisto.gif

Ahem... Excuse me... I couldn't hold in my laughter anymore.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! OH MY SIDES!

Okay... Okay... I think I'm good now...

Here we go...

Millennium Wake

MillenniumWake.png

Author: Chaotic Dreams

My rating: 6/6 - 19/236

My thoughts: I had spent many weeks with this story as one of my many open tabs. I would sit there and stare at the description for long periods of time. I desperately wanted to read it, but the description absolutely terrified me. Gone to sleep for a thousand years? Incredibly terrifying. I couldn't comprehend just horrible that must be for Rarity. Eventually, though, I buckled down and read it. I quickly decided that the concept wasn't terrifying. Rather, it was horribly terrifying. She thought it was a prank and when she sort of realizes what happened... I still shudder. But I was also correct in my desperation to read it, for it is a fantastic story so far. Something far more sinister is going on than a simple spell gone wrong. I want to know what.

My verdict: If you can survive mass depression at the thought of being asleep for one thousand years, you will enjoy this fic. I strongly recommend it.

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, comment, and give a thumb and favorite if applicable. Maybe even a watch to the author.

"If all I care about in life is the imprints I make in this world, then the most I'll ever leave is a grave." - Lyra, Background Pony

#28 2012-08-28 20:26:25

Csquared08

Let's see... Ponytales, Tangled Up in Blues, and Millennium Wake. That's 3. That means it's short fic time!
I heard you guys liked Derpy... So have some Derpy!

From the Mouths of Fillies

FromtheMouthsofFillies.png

Author: Comma-Kazie

My rating: 5/6 - 42/245

My thoughts: Yay for my comments!
"Writing from Dinky's rather ignorant, naive perspective was a brilliant touch to the story. We knew what was going on as the readers, but Dinky's constant naivete really pushed the sads off to the side for most of the fic. I actually found myself laughing at some of Dinky's hilarious antics throughout most of the story. Then the ending happens and,

“Shh.” I snuggled closer. “Mommy’s sleeping.”

Then the sads that had been building up throughout the story, the ones hidden by Dinky's naivete, all came rushing out at once. Nicely done, sir"

My verdict: A nice little sad fic full of sads by the end. I strongly recommend it.

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, comment, and give a thumb and favorite if applicable. Maybe even a watch to the author.

Today, Tomorrow, and Forever

TodayTomorrowandForever.png

Author: Choppers Top Hat

My rating: 6/6 - 14/245

My thoughts: A wonderful short fic detailing the close relationship between Derpy and Dinky. It demonstrates the lengths Derpy is willing to go for the happiness and well-being of her daughter, even it means Dinky has to go somewhere else. And it also shows that Dinky loves her mom with equal vigor. I love it. big_smile

My verdict: I loved it. I strongly recommend it. It's short, so go read it? big_smile
And don't forget the alternate ending!

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, well, uh, all you can do is comment, so do that!

Only 2 fics this time.
NOW READ! big_smile

#29 2012-08-29 03:28:25

Raelcun
Uninspired

CS I could tell that one was a troll because it didn't have a sad tag

#30 2012-08-29 11:07:09

Csquared08

Raelcun wrote:

CS I could tell that one was a troll because it didn't have a sad tag

But... but... Ponytales, Tangled Up in Blues, and Extremely Terrible and Horrifying Stories didn't have Sad tags either!

._.
...You know me too well...

#31 2012-08-30 16:08:52

Csquared08

Alright, gentlemen. Today, you get an absolutely fantastic tale that could end up rivaling The End of Ponies and Background Pony as my all-time favorite ponyfics.

Today, I give you the Dissonance Saga. Now, the Dissonance Saga is not a single work. No, it is a multi-part story currently on part 2, Guilt and Hate. So what does that mean for today? A convenient excuse to throw 2 fantastic stories at you for the price of one! Yeah!

Envy and Arrogance

EnvyandArrogance.png

Author: Mindblower

My rating: 5/6 - 32/245

My thoughts: The story opens with the Mane 6 wandering through Ponyville. ...Except it isn't really Ponyville. They're in a dream state of sorts, and suddenly find themselves in an alternate dimension of sorts where they must prove themselves as bearers of their elements. Only once they have done so can they return to reality. And when they return, things have changed. And most definitely not for the better. They encounter the CMC in Ponyville and find out that Celestia has gone insane, calling herself the Daymare and rules with an iron fist over Equestria. Luna leads the resistance against her insane sister. Eventually, it is discovered that the Elements of Discord (Envy, Arrogance, Guilt, Hate, Deception) have returned and taken over. I would say more, but I frown upon spoilers. This is as much as I feel I can say without giving too much away.
Though I will mention I feel this story should have a Dark tag.
I will also mention that for all you Applejack fans out there, some parts of the story will make you question why you like her so much. You see, she does some really stupid stuff in this story. And it's all in character (including elements of her character that have developed as a result of the story).

My verdict: This is an excellent story, and still would be even without the sequel. So go read it. Now. big_smile

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, comment, and give a thumb and favorite if applicable. Maybe even a watch to the author. And about every comment will get a response in the form of a PM. Mindblower is awesome like that.

And now for the sequel!

Guilt and Hate

GuiltandHate.png

My rating: 5/6 - 31/245

My thoughts: 2 of the 6 Elements of Discord were defeated last time around. Vengeance, the most powerful of the Elements of Discord, has yet to return to the world of the living. 2 of the 6 Elements of Harmony have realized their full potential. What can possibly go wrong? Anything and everything. For one, Discord himself is now on the loose. Secondly, Deception wreaks havoc with his (or her; I can never remember the actual genders of the Elements of Discord) mind games. And AJ continues her downward spiral of mistake after mistake (I'm really sorry for all you AJ fans. I too am a big AJ fan; she's 2nd best pony as far as the show is concerned. And I really liked this story, so you can too. I'm sure she'll redeem herself at some point.).

My verdict: If you liked Envy and Arrogance, you'll like Guilt and Hate even more. If you read Envy and Arrogance, there's no reason not to read this. So read it. big_smile

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, comment, and give a thumb and favorite if applicable. Maybe even a watch to the author. And about every comment will get a response in the form of a PM. Mindblower is awesome like that.

And now for the series as a whole.

The Dissonance Saga

My rating: 6/6 -3/245

My thoughts: Individually, the stories are great, but not necessarily spectacular. However, when viewed as a whole as they should be, they become something so much greater. The way the plot connects between the stories, how events way back in the early chapters of Envy and Arrogance continue to resonate in the most recent updates of Guilt and Hate is very well-written. I couldn't ask for much more from a story.

My verdict: Holy sweet mother of Celestia is this series awesome. Seriously. Go read it. Now.

NOW READ big_smile

#32 2012-09-01 15:32:48

Csquared08

Alrighty, boys. Time for a great one.

Two Ponies

TwoPonies.png

Author: Twilight Snarkle

My rating: 6/6 - 7/245

My thoughts: Another one of those "one of the first fics I read" thingies. And it was brilliant. It also has the distinction of being the first OC-focused story that I read. And one of those OC's, Mr. Smudge, has the distinction of being my all-time favorite OC. One of the others, Cayenne, is one of my top 10 favorite OC's. So, an awesome story with awesome characters. Just be ready for a bunch of feels when you read this. big_smile

My verdict: I have literally no complaints about this story. Go read it. You won't regret it.

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, well, uh, all you can do is comment, so do that!

NOW READ big_smile

#33 2012-09-02 21:08:49

Ah yes, Snarkle did a bangup job with that one. big_smile I remember when it was submitted!

#34 2012-09-03 03:32:19

Csquared08

I've had requests for non-Sad/Tragedy. Sigh... You people force me to put other recommendations on hold and... Gah! I want my Sads!

...Anywho...

Wild, Sweet, and Cool

WildSweetandCool.png

Author: Kwakerjark

My rating: 5/6 - 33/245

My thoughts: I love friendshipping so very much. And this is one of the best friendships I've read. And it's incredibly well-written with a very interesting concept. Twilight as a "jockey" is so awesomely hilarious. But it works. She learns quickly, and Dash is a surprisingly good teacher. Just make sure Twilight doesn't try any silly spells to help things along. Things might get "stuck," so to speak. And then that ended... The epicness of it cannot be put down into words and still do it justice (Well, except for the words the story used, but that'd be a spoiler, and I frown upon those things).

My verdict: An excellent story exploring the relationship between Dash and Twilight. There are sufficient amounts of hilarity and awesomeness to keep you going the whole way through.

NOW READ big_smile

#35 2012-09-05 19:56:52

Csquared08

It's time for another short fic edition! There are 3 this time around.

Never a Rainbow

NeveraRainbow.png

Author: NorsePony

My rating: 5/6 - 51/255

My thoughts: Dash doesn't exist. Nightmare Moon wins. This story follows Fluttershy in a post-eternal night Equestria. And she's even more of a Fluttershy than she is in the show. But she goes into Ponyville occasionally. This time, she meets Applejack, who never returned home from Manehattan. She's in town to help Big Mac and Co. move, but that's it. Incredibly depressing all the way through.

My verdict: One of the better Alternate Universe stories I've read. A great take on what might happen with no Dash. Go read it.

Statistics

Statistics.png

Author: xTSGx

My rating: 5/6 - 53/255

My thoughts: This short story is almost entirely made up of numbers. Well, numbers and what those numbers mean. And these numbers are beautiful. These numbers made me feel. I will never look at numbers the same way ever again...

My verdict: A fairly quick read, this story is worth your time. Read it!

I Am a Monster

IAmaMonster.png

Author: Vladmir Cavallo

My rating: 5/6 - 114/255

My thoughts: Romance? Csquared? No, it can't be! Don't worry, there's not actually Romance. It's more the results of romantic feelings, the consequences, if you will. And, as Discord reasoned, "If everyone would call me nothing more than a monster, then perhaps I should embrace the label that has been assigned to me.
Perhaps I should become a monster." An interesting look at the danger in calling people names. They may just become what you call them...

My verdict: It's short. It's interesting. Read it.

NOW READ! big_smile

#36 2012-09-09 03:25:57

Csquared08

Oh no, you say! You didn't post one on Friday! Don't worry, I had a reason! You see, today, you get 3 fics for the price of 1! Yeah!

...Okay, I forgot on Friday. Csquared is a bad pony. misc_Fluttershy.png

But you're still getting 3 fics for the price of 1!

My Little Alicorn

MyLittleAlicorn.png

Author: InsertAuthorHere

My rating: 5/6 - 33/255

My thoughts: Luna plays a prank on Celestia. And, as you can guess from the description and the picture, Celestia is a filly for most of this story. However, this not just a silly, light-hearted Comedy fic. No, the Dark tag fits rather well. The Sad, not so much. But the Dark tag is what makes the story so awesome. The backstory to the many happenings of the story, the motivations of certain characters... Most of that is explained by the content that gives this fic its Dark tag. In the same manner, filly Celestia is absolutely adorable. Absolutely adorable. And then there's Lofty. Lofty is like Scootaloo in the sense that she's a fangirl of a certain pegasus. However, unlike Scootaloo, Lofty's fangirlism is directed at a certain yellow pegasus. YEEEAAAH!

My verdict: A very funny, adorable story featuring filly Celestia with enough darker undertones to make it incredibly interesting. Worth your time to read.

What's this? There's a sequel to My Little Alicorn? Well then! Onward to fic #2!

Bringing Up Blueblood

BringingUpBlueblood.png

My rating: 5/6 - 63/255

My thoughts: With as few spoilers as I can possibly give, at the end of My Little Alicorn, Blueblood finds himself a colt. And Celestia aims to give him a chance to earn his stallionhood back... by sending him back to magic kindergarten. Blueblood encounters many fillies and colts (including Lofty!) at magic kindergarten. It seems like Celestia's efforts have been fruitful so far, despite the best efforts of Luna and Shining Armor, and the unwitting complications presented by Cadance. This story makes me like Blueblood. A lot. And I had despised him with every fiber of my being before this.

My verdict: If you liked My Little Alicorn, you'll like this too. IAH knows how to tell a great tale.

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, comment, and give a thumb and favorite if applicable. Maybe even a watch to the author. And make sure you nag him about the lack of cover art. There must be colt Blueblood on the cover of that story! There must!

Huh? You say there's a 3rd story that's sort of, kind of related to these two, but not really? Well, that's good enough for me! 3rd fic, ahoy!

Keeping Your Hooves on the Ground

KeepingYourHoovesontheGround-1.png

My rating: 5/6 - 56/255

My thoughts: Filly Dash and filly 'Shy friendshipping? Yes please! Anyhow, 'Shy wants to share something with Dash. But Dash is scared. The ground is a terrible place full of creatures that will eat you alive! She couldn't possibly go to the ground, not even if 'Shy says it's okay! Friendshipping and hilarity ensue! So. Much. D'AWWW.

My verdict: Go read this. You will be filled with D'AWWW, a most wonderful feeling.

NOW READ! big_smile

#37 2012-09-11 21:29:38

Csquared08

Time for another exciting, but not too exciting (because that would be bad for your health) recommendation. This story's recklessness knows no bounds. The main character is completely out of control. He even dared to play a round of golf! Oh my, I used an exclamation point. How unbecoming of me.

The Diary of John, the Least Interesting Stallion in Equestria

TheDiaryofJohn.png

Author: SteeveLee

My rating: 5/6 - 85/261

My thoughts: I don't how John makes it through each day without having a nervous breakdown. There is so much excitement in his life that it just has to be unbearable. I mean, heaven forbid he eat flavored oatmeal! See? It's so horrible that I had to use an exclamation point. John is quite the trooper. He is clearly best stallion.

My verdict: While it may not be quite as good as an air conditioner manual (written in three different languages, no less!), this is quite the tale. Do read it.

My demands, er, requests: If (and when wink ) you do read this, comment, and give a thumb and favorite if applicable. Maybe even a watch to the author. I can't believe I demanded anything from you. Oh dear...

Now read. But not too much. Don't overwhelm yourself.

#38 2012-09-14 13:36:38

Csquared08

Screw you, spambot! I got excited when I thought someone posted in my thread, but no! It turned out to be spam. Screw you!

#39 2012-09-14 14:50:07

Raelcun
Uninspired

Hey, recommendation...

#40 2012-09-14 15:10:48

twitchy.717043
YellowNukaCola

Jeez, Csquared! I'll have to dig through these and find out which ones I need. I might try end of ponies while I wait for Somber to update FO:E PH. Probably leaning towards End of Ponies. I'm a sucker for apocalyptic stories.

lunadance_by_warpout-d4vaayz.gif scratchdance_by_warpout-d4vab5t.gif

#41 2012-09-14 18:32:34

Raelcun
Uninspired

twitchy.717043 wrote:

Jeez, Csquared! I'll have to dig through these and find out which ones I need. I might try end of ponies while I wait for Somber to update FO:E PH. Probably leaning towards End of Ponies. I'm a sucker for apocalyptic stories.

End of Ponies is like CS' favorite story ever.

Last edited by Raelcun (2012-09-14 18:32:46)

#42 2012-09-14 20:55:08

These spambots are getting better. c.c This one has a pony.

#43 2012-09-15 13:36:13

Csquared08

Raelcun wrote:

Hey, recommendation...

Hey! Quiet, you!

twitchy.717043 wrote:

The End of Ponies is probably the greatest thing ever. [Insert more fangasming here]

#44 2012-09-15 17:33:25

Csquared08

So Csquared is a very forgetful pony and forgot yet again this past Thursday. misc_Fluttershy.png

But never fear! Because today, Rainbow Dash flies east!

Austraeoh

Austraeoh.png

Author: Imploding Colon

My rating: 5/6 - 71/261

My thoughts: A 4-word description? The first 5 chapters are under 1000 words? Alarm bells are going off everywhere. And if you look closer, you'll note that nearly every chapter is under 1000 words. That can't be good, you say. Nothing with so many chapters that short can be good. Well, appearances are deceiving, for this 156 chapter behemoth is a fantastic tale of epic proportions. For the first 30ish chapters, there is no dialogue. But Imploding Colon knows what he's doing. He's weaved a breathtaking adventure complete with a lush and very well-described environment. Even now, 156 chapters in, Colon is constantly adding to the already-rich environment that he has crafted beyond Equestria's borders. The goal of Dash's journey east is left unsaid for over 100 chapters, I believe. All you knew was that she had to go east. But even now that we know the specifics, we still don't know the why. And, in the case of this story, not knowing is no problem at all, for, as I have said, Colon has crafted a fantastic tale.

My verdict: Don't let the seemingly insurmountable chapter count keep you away from this beauty. Go read it, and fly east with Rainbow Dash.

NOW READ! big_smile

#45 2012-09-15 18:24:26

Csquared08 wrote:

From the description, I was very interested in this fic, but looking at the number/size of chapters, I decided against it.

With your rec, I will now undo that decision and add this onto my to-read list. smile Thank you.

#46 2012-09-15 18:27:48

Csquared08

PresentPerfect wrote:
Csquared08 wrote:

From the description, I was very interested in this fic, but looking at the number/size of chapters, I decided against it.

With your rec, I will now undo that decision and add this onto my to-read list. smile Thank you.

Woo! My opinion actually matters!

Ahem.

Yeah, Austraeoh is pretty awesome. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, though. I mean, yeah, the author does make mistakes, but they're rather small and mostly negligible. And the storytelling and world-building is very impressive. I was hooked by chapter 2.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB