Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-12-08 12:17:21

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Forum upgrade to FluxBB 1.5.1

oh hi I upgraded ur forum

1.5.1 adds a couple group-related features, most notably the ability to disable the url tag based on what user group you're in. That means more control over spam - namely, I've disabled it for anyone who's not logged in. Shouldn't have too much of an effect overall, aside from a little bit less spam.

I also hacked together some extra word-based spam filters, though those aren't in use yet. In theory, though, we could add something like "ugg boots" to that, and bam, no more posts about ugg boots (unless you're smarter than a spambot). To be honest, a lot of the spam here is rather amusing to me. big_smile I might set it up so that spam caught in such a way automatically redirects to Spamterlot, rather than being totally rejected (as is currently the case).

Aside from spam stuff, there's one additional feature that I added in which some might find worthwhile: you can now use your email address as well as your username to log in. This makes things easier if you're fiddling with your username, for whatever reason. This does, however, mean that you now cannot register more than one account under the same email address. (A trick: if you have gmail, you can get around that by adding some +text after the username - for example, twilight@gmail.com and twilight+sparkle@gmail.com map to the same account.)

Just post here if you encounter any issues. I know there's still a couple requests on this board that I haven't handled yet (because I suck), and I'll attempt to tackle those within the next week. If not, you have every right to bother me incessantly on every medium available until I get to them. wink

#2 2012-12-08 12:19:39

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Re: Forum upgrade to FluxBB 1.5.1

Wow, I used a lot of parenthetical statements in that post.

#3 2012-12-08 12:51:19

edinpony
Life is an adventure!

Yay upgrades!

#4 2012-12-08 18:28:17

Fire Blossom

i keep getting this in some areas

error on line 325 at column 202: AttValue: " or ' expected

TwitterPonies:Fire Blossom, Silver Note
thorn_standing_r_by_lewa008-d7xmgr5.gifblossom_looking_nice_l_by_lewa008-d7xmh01.gif

#5 2012-12-08 21:20:14

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Could you link an example post? That sounds like an XML error, though I don't think there's any XML parsing going on anywhere.

#6 2012-12-08 22:29:17

Fire Blossom

its ontop of a thread like this to me
http://forums.bucked.org/viewtopic.php?pid=34373#p34373

TwitterPonies:Fire Blossom, Silver Note
thorn_standing_r_by_lewa008-d7xmgr5.gifblossom_looking_nice_l_by_lewa008-d7xmh01.gif

#7 2012-12-09 01:14:25

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Starshine wrote:
oh hi I upgraded ur forum

1.5.1 adds a couple group-related features, most notably the ability to disable the url tag based on what user group you're in. That means more control over spam - namely, I've disabled it for anyone who's not logged in. Shouldn't have too much of an effect overall, aside from a little bit less spam.

Yes!

Starshine wrote:

I might set it up so that spam caught in such a way automatically redirects to Spamterlot, rather than being totally rejected (as is currently the case).

Probably a good idea especially with the Pandora and Abercrombie and Fitch spam bots that tend to post somewhere around five or so threads at each go which is kinda aggravating.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#8 2012-12-09 02:45:52

edinpony
Life is an adventure!

Starshine wrote:

Could you link an example post? That sounds like an XML error, though I don't think there's any XML parsing going on anywhere.

Shows up here too:

http://forums.bucked.org/viewtopic.php?id=1645

#9 2012-12-09 07:37:54

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Well that was strange, but I fixed it. That's a browser error, not something server-side. It seems that one of the more subtle changes in FluxBB 1.5.1 was to serve pages as strict XHTML – which happens to break a lot of mods and plugins, as you can see. Enough other developers have complained about the change to get it reverted in core, so I applied that patch. Problem solved!

#10 2012-12-10 10:38:57

edinpony
Life is an adventure!

Starshine wrote:

Well that was strange, but I fixed it. That's a browser error, not something server-side. It seems that one of the more subtle changes in FluxBB 1.5.1 was to serve pages as strict XHTML – which happens to break a lot of mods and plugins, as you can see. Enough other developers have complained about the change to get it reverted in core, so I applied that patch. Problem solved!

Woohoo!

#11 2012-12-12 03:29:47

lava

Starshine wrote:

I don't think most spam bots check if it displayed properly. Could be wrong though.

#12 2012-12-12 21:26:45

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Of course not. You're thinking too hard - it just means we won't see the posts.

At present there's a couple hidden form fields that trap lots of idiotic spambots that indiscriminately fill in every field, or which are programmed to send a specific set of form fields based on the type of forum. For example, that text box you type into is typically called req_message, but if you try to POST data to this forum with something in that field, your post is discarded.

The same sort of thing applies for the url tag now.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB