Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-14 06:22:20

Sarteck
Best Pony

Triple Triad (PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML)

Right, so I've programmed this twice already, and going for a third time.

Back in... Maybe it was `08?  `09?  When I first started getting REALLY heavy into PHP, I was programming tons of shit for this other anime fan-based site I administrate (and now own).  Mostly, it was games, and one of those games was Triple Triad.

Programming the gameplay itself was challenging, but I also programmed a system for user to be able to "buy/sell" each others' cards (with fake currency used at our site, not real money) and trade, and later on making a lot of other nifty features to go along with that (marking certain cards for sale to allow automatic purchase, etc.).

Further, I programmed a system to allow them to buy "Booster Packs" (again with fake money), or even to donate (real monies) to the site to get Special, Admin, and Lucky packs (packs with much higher changes of much better cards).

I'm especially proud of some other features I programmed for it, like the Card Database that showed every card, groupable by series, strength, element, tier, and many more, and also sortable within each group by the same values they were groupable with.

After we got served with a Digital Millenium Copyright Act notice (the site that we got the graphics for the elements, the numbers, and the frames was being a completely whiny bitch), I programmed an automatic creation for cards, so that we wouldn't have to do them by hand anymore.  We'd only have to get a render with transparent background of what we wanted, and fill it in along with a form, and it would automatically make the card image and store the correct values in the database.  When this was done, all we had to do was change whatever graphics we wanted individually, and set the system to re-create images for all the cards, and no more infringing copyrights for us.  XD

(That was really stupid, too--I mean hell, how would those guys have felt if Square Enix hit them with a DMCA for using Triple Triad, eh?  X3)

I kept on building more and more onto it until it eventually became a huge monster, and everytime I looked back at my code from years ago, I cringed...  "Holy shit, I was THAT dumb?  I could have done those 100 lines in about ten!"  My code was so inelegant, so hard to modify without breaking.

So I re-programmed the core of it over a period of a few months, and added in a lot of new rules that members of my site had been asking for.

Now that I've discovered Tumblr, I'm programming a Triple Triad specifically for Tumblrpon, with the cards being characters (both canon and OC) of the Blogs, like Hot Blooded Pinkie Pie and Nors/Monolith/Arrowhead/Bastion from Ask Four Inept Guardsponies, or Brutaloo from Ax Brutaloo, etc.  It's coming along surprisingly well--be sure to take a look.

----------------------------

My blog over there, http://sarteck.tumblr.com , has a "Test Game" link on it.  Most of the features are not functional (or not fully anyhow) yet, but you can check out the "Card Database" to get an idea of what I'm doing.  :3

I'm hoping to have this ready at least for Alpha testing by the time Ohayocon rolls around.

I'm using MySQL as database storage for users, cards, keeping track of owned cards, etc.  The pages of course are HTML/CSS, and JavaScript controls most of the game functions (sending an AJAX request to the MySQL database, getting an XML response, and updating the board accordingly), and PHP glues everything together--gets info from MySQL, creates the HTML for output, gets form info from the user, passes info to MySQL.  It's like the Force, binding the whole thing together, heh.

I also programmed my OWN implementation of sessions.  PHP has built-in session handling, but I found that I didn't like it very much at all.  There's still some quirks with the session system, but I think I'll be able to work 'em out.  Heh.

I'm certainly not the best HTML designer, so my stuff often looks crude for quite a while.  If any of you want to try you hand at spiffin up the HTML, be my guest.  :3

When all is done, I can make this playable from virtually any browser.  I dunno about phones, though.  I've never programmed a site to be phone friendly, and don't think I ever will, tbh.

I see you...
watching2.png

#2 2013-01-14 10:18:51

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

Re: Triple Triad (PHP, MySQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, XML)

yep, all I got out of that is that you're making something in PHP neutral

#3 2013-01-16 00:13:29

Sarteck
Best Pony

Yes.  Awesome is what I am making.  big_smile

I see you...
watching2.png

#4 2013-01-21 11:32:41

Sarteck
Best Pony

The first one displays the card flip animation.  The second gives a basic rundown of a game, but I accidentally broke the animation for card-flipping while doing it. XD  (I fixed it, after I'd recorded it.)

I still have to work on End-of-Game stuff and make the whole thing prettier, but you can see the basics of it. :3

I see you...
watching2.png

#5 2013-01-22 04:07:05

Sarteck
Best Pony

I'm going to need some guinea pigs soon to help test it out.
/me glances around teh forum.
[This means you.]

I see you...
watching2.png

#6 2013-01-31 07:07:41

Sarteck
Best Pony

Hey, people.  I've got a lot more ready for this, and I'm about to go Alpha with it...  Probably this weekend.  I've got two major bits left to code (I'm working on Card Trading right now, and then I'e got to do Booster packs).

Iffin you're interested in being a tester, send me a message on Tumblr ( sarteck.tumblr.com ) and I'll make you an acount. :3

I see you...
watching2.png

#7 2013-06-17 08:35:53

Ziggomatic
ウボァ

what are you a stupid nerd or somethin

shop at bible mart

#8 2013-06-17 10:16:23

Sarteck
Best Pony

Yes.

And?

I see you...
watching2.png

#9 2013-06-17 18:24:20

Ziggomatic
ウボァ

nurd

shop at bible mart

#10 2013-06-18 21:01:33

Sarteck
Best Pony

I see you...
watching2.png

#11 2013-09-01 20:13:39

PinkiePizzles

I too have been making a rendition of TT big_smile
I've also designed hundreds of cards ranging anywhere from an apple up to the Fausticorn

Theres also special edition rare collector cards (just funny stuff from the fandom like the Sweetie-Bot or Scoota-chicken), an elemental series being released in a couple days (hopefully after the holidays) rather than wind/fire/earth all those elements, I'm sure you can guess what they are wink

My deck: (links not allowed lol)

Game played in AJAX multiplayer or vs. an AI. Board view:
(The board itself also changes colors based on the user's global site profile)

U9gFamj.png

#12 2013-12-14 03:54:27

Sarteck
Best Pony

We should get together sometime...  I programmed mine so that the boards can go up to 6x6.  (Well, it COULD be unlimited, but I was thinking about screen space.)  Also programmed elements in there, combos and whatnot.

I'll be re-designing it sometime soon, too, to use all the Tumblr shit I've learned over the past year.  (For example, the login/account system I made can be completely nulled if I just go with Tumblr accounts instead.)

I see you...
watching2.png

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB