Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-11-09 21:22:46

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

DC Comics / Earth 2 / New 52

So has anyone been reading this particular series?

1461221_10103671124329335_1309157953_n.jpg

I went on an rant about the last two issues of this series but to explain things shortly and with little in the way of spoilers:
Right now Earth 2 is like reading the Harry Potter novels and getting to the point where Harry and his friends are about to unite into Dumbledore's Army when suddenly Marvel's Loki bursts in utterly out of nowhere. Loki kills a bunch of minor characters, destroys Voldemort, and beats up all the main characters to the point they are knocked out or in one case driven into a jabbering insane mess. Loki then blows up Hogwarts as Marvel's Thor comes in with his friends to fight Loki with all the action focusing on them now. Furthermore Thor's minor characters like Jane Foster show up as the action relocates to Asgard and Thor/Loki are now the main focus.

I just feels like a massive betrayal just when it seemed that they were going to finally truly unite into a team and finally form the JSA (which Earth 2 is the reboot of) suddenly mind controlled Superman pops ups and casually kills the overarching antagonist of the series and the main characters of the book are swept away to focus on freaking Batman and Superman characters! Gahh. It feels like DC editorial just utterly highjacked the book when it was finally getting to an important part to do a Batman Vs. Superman story because it was set in an AU and the announcement of the Man of Steel II movie.

Arg. And DC wonders why it's books keep failing and they lose reads when they do things like this and all the insane crap with not have any real defined continuity for the Nu-52 forcing books to be almost utterly rewritten later for trade, some characters keeping old continuity that no longer makes sense, the total ban on marriages, forcing major last minute changes for storylines that had been set months ago (which is why tons of writers/artist have parted ways), and all sorts of major nonsense.

I thought reboots were suppose to simply continuity but now it's like an arcane map with fuzzy indistinct areas and parts that make no goddamn sense at all (such as most of Green Lantern's and Batman's histories which were kept while many characters involved were rebooted/changed).

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#2 2013-11-25 16:46:45

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

Re: DC Comics / Earth 2 / New 52

I read marvel, so I win tongue

But seriously, while I don't read DC my girlfriend does, so I get to hear her talk about the poor decisions they have made recently.

You are right about reboots though, they are there as continuity bombs to start new series and storylines so new things am be tried, not have some characters keep their pats while others don't

Last edited by Lilac_Iris (2013-11-25 16:48:47)

I walk a thin line between insane and completely out of my mind.
Normal is boring.

#3 2013-11-27 21:36:07

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

I think a big part of the problem (the other being screwing over creators a lot) is that Dan DiDio seems to have come to the conclusion that if something is fun then it can't be taken seriously by adults* which is why under his leadership almost everything is dark, he banned marriage because "heroes shouldn’t have happy personal lives" and the Superman 75th Anniversary is a compendium of depressing stories (not to mention the Man of Steel movie). Gods forbid anyone find any joy in their superhero comics! This is serious literature for serious adults and serious literature is always dark, depressing, and moody!

I'm going to dump the Man of Steel Honest Trailer because it sums up DC in general a good bit now:

*"We don’t publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do "Scooby-Doo.""
-Dan DiDio

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#4 2013-11-30 20:01:17

Lilac_Iris
To the Internetmobile!

Why can't superheroes have joy and happy times, I loved those times, and in all honesty makes it harder when they fall from that. I don't know if anyone else is reading the new deadpool, but he is normally fun lovig "I do what I want" Merc with a mouth, but they recently made the story hit hard even for him, leaving him nearly broken.

My point is if he was always depressed and broken like that it loses it's edge, it's because of te contrast that it is interesting.

Not to mention how do you get new readers if you only focus on adults, seems you should be going for kids at least a little.

Last edited by Lilac_Iris (2013-11-30 20:02:28)

I walk a thin line between insane and completely out of my mind.
Normal is boring.

#5 2014-01-10 05:54:47

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Earth 2:

Anyone else think Superman's 'press conference' was kind of hammy and stupid? He blows away and entire country, millions are dead, blows away an army, rips people and heroes apart with manic glee... then just grabs Flash, Sloan, and Mr. Terrific and flies to the White House lawn to give a Press Conference that he specifically requested. Superman then went on about how symbols were important then proceeds to smash the White House with the Washington Monument. The he goes off on a damn villain monologue in front of the cameras.

Was that suppose to show (brainwashed) Superman was serious or something? I though the point of whole wanton murder and destruction bit that devastated a continent. Holding a press conference and acting like he's Dr. Evil now for no good reason just seems ridiculously campy though on the other hand it seems like something old style Superman would do.

I mean don't get me wrong I liked Superman doing a kind of hammy villain speech about how everyone was doomed and so forth but it kind of clashes badly with the whole hard boiled super-serious grim death fest of storyline they are in the middle of. Also his decision to blow up the White House as a Symbol to show he was serious was just kind of meh considering again he had blown up an entire damn country, killed millions, devastated an entire continent, clear devastation visible from space, and single handedly decimated an huge force of the World's Army. But no that doesn't prove I'm serious - blowing up the White House while giving a speech like Dr. Evil does.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#6 2014-02-07 01:21:50

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Earth 2 #20:

1655981_10104043964898845_1876106283_n.jpg

Ok, I think we can let crazy mind controlled Superman rampage a little bit more. Who wants to play a round of cards? dum dee dum...

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB