You are not logged in.

#1 2014-01-15 21:26:48

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Magic: The Gathering - The Movie!

urza.jpg

Hollywood Reporter wrote:

Magic: The Gathering is headed to the big screen. 20th Century Fox has closed a deal to acquire the screen rights to the hugely popular fantasy card game from Hasbro and will develop the property with an eye to launch a massive franchise on the scale of Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v … big-670529

What?

"will develop the property with an eye to launch a massive franchise on the scale of Harry Potter and The Lord of the Rings."

No seriously... What? Why? I'm not even sure a lot of Magic players care deeply about Urza and the adventures of other Planeswalkers in the flavor text as they skip from expansion pack to expansion pack... It has some story for the flavor text but it's no where near LotR or Potter leagues... But then they did such a fantastic job with the D&D movie where they could have drawn on actual best selling novels from the likes of R.A. Salvatore...

mm135_weatherlight.jpg

Hop on the Weatherlight kids and let us fly to an Ice Age Adventure! Tally-ho!!!

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#2 2014-01-15 21:46:59

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Re: Magic: The Gathering - The Movie!

If you want a taste for how confusing and batshait insane M:TG back story is take a look at the entry on the Weatherlight in a M:TG Wiki.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#3 2014-01-16 07:43:01

JSScorch

Arcane Flame wrote:

I'm not even sure a lot of Magic players care deeply about Urza and the adventures of other Planeswalkers in the flavor text as they skip from expansion pack to expansion pack

lel, then I'm one in the few. I love going to different Magic info sources to read up on lore, planes, the walkers, etc. (I like the Weatherlight story, but mostly just for Mirri ha ).

Though I have no idea where they're gonna start, or if they'll just make a plane all their own for the movie. As long as I can see some iconic faces I'll be happy.

#4 2014-02-06 12:53:12

Night's Honor
Itinerant Mystic

I don't care either way about M:TG, and I prefer high fantasy over heroic, but I'll take it.

I do need to point out that there was no "they" involved in the Dungeons and Dragons movie, though. That was the singular vision of one goober named Courtney Solomon, who spent a decade raising the $40 million he needed for that movie by himself. Just about everyone involved (save for Jeremy Irons, of course) really seemed to believe in him at the time. Irons being the only one aware that he was making a bad movie is what makes it an enduring classic to this day, and one of the few DVDs I actually own. big_smile

#5 2014-06-23 21:48:00

Dexanth
Celestia's just this mare, you know?

I still wax nostalgic for the entire Urza saga, but lost a lot of interest post-Time Spiral with the major planeswalker depowering. I liked the hugely epic feel and the loss of that was...saddening to me.

Of course, an MTG movie feels like the long-floated WoW movie, one of those things that will languish in development hell for eons.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB