Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#1 2014-09-24 20:49:37

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

MLP - EqG2: Rainbow Rocks

I might recommend taking a look at MLP #23 before seeing Rainbow Rocks... Just sayin'.

10346377_10104965065381095_302068783424219552_n.jpg?oh=a688688558ad3b5117b83f1b6c76eb3e&oe=54C64353&__gda__=1418075352_6b9a5969b9d848c70f46e34464625028

Also the MLP:FiM 17-20 since I'm guessing there is a bit of stuff happening that isn't a coincidence there with what might have been leaked from the film.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#2 2014-09-27 12:51:35

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Re: MLP - EqG2: Rainbow Rocks

So thoughts on MLP:Rainbow Rocks - Meh to ugh:

I had a lot of problems with Rainbow Rocks... It just felt like Brony Fan Service: The Movie with a lot of gags and background characters stealing the show at every turn. Fan service should be like sugar - a little added for flavor, not heaps upon heaps. We had a lot of Trixie (including a Trixie musical number), a lot of prominent backgrounders popping up for major gags on center stage, Lyra X Bon Bon (very much apparent when they squeezed their faces close staring into eachother's eyes with rosy cheeks while singing), DJ Pon-3 with a Bass Cannon Car and prominent scenes, and it felt like it was shoving the main plot aside at points to stuff in the fan service.

Personally I would have rather seen the run time dedicated to more scenes like Sunset & Twilight's late-night chat and more exploration of Sunset and Twilight's new dynamic where Sunset became the Student to Twilight's Teacher to the point of penning letters about learning about Friendship to Twilight (Dear Princess Twilight). Instead it felt at times like a fandom echo chamber - Hey you guys like Trixie?! Lets have her repeat a lot of her lines and gags and have a Great and Powerful Trixie musical number!

Now, I really like it when they add in and use more ponies but this just seemed tacked on fan service of popular background ponies who do pretty much nothing involved with the plot but exist solely for injokes and fan references. I really hope the 100th episode isn't like this movie with an endless parade of fandom injoke gags and actually does something with the other ponies. Basically, I want to see other characters who are their own characters not just injokes a plenty.

Also not really a fan of the humanization and modern high school setting - one of the main reasons I like MLP is the fantasy world aspects which EqG kind of cuts down a lot but that's not relevant to my main problem with the movie that I felt had it's plot hollowed a bit by all the fan servicesy moments instead of building Shimmer's redemption and her new relationship with Twilight and the others more.

Bah I'm rambling and becoming a stick in the mud. It's just that I hate that the movie felt like an echo chamber.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#3 2014-09-28 10:46:20

from what I've heard and from what little I've seen, I'll be glad when season 5 rolls around. It will be so much sweeter (although it would be much MUCH better if they did something about gigantic Crystal treehouse towering above ponyville...)

#4 2014-11-03 14:26:17

thepine
...I'd like to be a tree.

Still enjoyed it here and I too wish they would have focused a little more on twi/sunset story thn fan service but overall it was fine. One thing to mention to anyone buying the DVD though. Start the movie from the chapter menu and not the play option on the main menu. There is an error on the DVD that causes chapter 5 to play after chapter 6. If you already bought it you can go to the Shoutfactory website and get a free replacement disk.

http://thepine.deviantart.com/
If Fluttershy falls in the woods does she make a sound?
153038_safe_rainbow_2_Bdash_applejack_photo_pony.png

#5 2014-11-03 15:13:47

Star ★
Pony
Starshine Trotter

This is not the first time that there's been some stupid problem with a DVD release - there was the audio desync on that one compilation (I can't remember which), misaligned art assets on the Friendship Express cover that put the train off da railz, and now this? Are Shout just incapable of making things that are not broken?

#6 2014-11-05 07:45:51

Starshine ★ wrote:

This is not the first time that there's been some stupid problem with a DVD release - there was the audio desync on that one compilation (I can't remember which), misaligned art assets on the Friendship Express cover that put the train off da railz, and now this? Are Shout just incapable of making things that are not broken?

Well, they were hired by Hasbro, so....

#7 2014-11-13 16:44:37

veshkali

I've seen it once now, and I'll watch it again.
It had its ups and downs, lots of fanservice, and was Dash ever playing up the pigheaded stubborn card to the point of nothing else.
But I still liked the movie. I probably liked the first one a bit over the second, but I'll have to watch a few more times and see what I think then.
Sure, I still prefer ponies to humans by far, but it wasn't bad, and I liked the teaser at the end with other world Twi. Just have to wonder why she doesn't go to school with the rest of them.
Maybe she's still on her own since she didn't have a Celestia to make her go to HS.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB