Ohio Bronies - Forums

Peanut Bucker is best pony.

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-09-25 20:30:11

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Re: IDW's MLP:FiM Comic

Anyone notice an uptick of G1 stuff in the MLP comics recently?

The recent Celestia comic had a ton of G1 cameos in the flashbacks Gusty, Posey, Firefly, Medley, Baby Firefly, Baby Glory, Baby Surprise, and in modern times there was male pony who seems to have been Teddy (although he had a different coat color - however right manestyle and backstory.

Also anypony notice that in MLP #9 & #10 that the mane six seem to have recently been on an adventure mirroring the G1 serial 'The End of Flutter Valley' since they talk about a Sun Stone, saving it, dealing with Giant Bees, and Rarity mentions being stuck in a giant beehive?

MLP# 11 was interesting but one thing has me wondering - there is a poster for a movie called 'Bridle Runner'... Which begs the question is there a part of the film where he dreams of a human (in place of Blade Runner's Unicorn) and then gets an origami human at the end?

Furthermore does that imply there is a ponified version of Kowloon Walled City?

Also a few G1 refs:
* G1's Moondancer is on the yearbook cover and was a cheerleader and member of the dance club.
* Canterlot Academy's stadium is 'Zacherle Stadium' named after Bonnie Zacherle creator of My Little Pony.

Lots of 80s and D&D refs ex: Poindexter's character is named 'Lejandar Gygax'. Also in an LOTR reference their adventure map includes 'Rohirrim'.

Also the comic implies that Twilight Velvet is the author of the Daring Do books.

532070_648990601791925_1573241968_n.jpg

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#52 2013-09-26 06:47:48

Check these mental gymnastics.
Twilight's mom (Velvet) knew Rainbow Dash' mum (Firefly) who not only likes being a daredevil in this gen, but also an adventurer. Velvet bases the Daring Do books on her friends exploits, which explains why we haven't seen Firefly yet (what copyright, Hasbro?). But what it doesn't explain is why Firefly wouldn't want Velvet to use her real name? Possibly so Rainbow Dash wouldn't follow in her hoovesteps? Or that she wouldn't worry about her?

#53 2013-09-26 17:00:50

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

That's interesting but Firefly was more of a daredevil and Daring Do is more of an explorer. It would make an interesting story arc but there is a G1 pony who fits Daring Do much more perfectly: North Star. North Star was an explorer pegasus with unbridled curiosity and a compass on her flank. It got her in trouble from time to time but in the G1 comics she got a Magic Compass that pointed to whatever she desired (seemed to work similar to Captain Jack Sparrow's Compass in the Pirates movies).

37northstar.jpg

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

"Magicam operare non est aliud quam maritare mundum."  ~Pico della Mirandola, Conclusiones Magicae

#54 2013-09-27 12:55:41

Oh duh! I completely forgot about North Star!
Alrighty, back to Firefly being a senior/retired Wonderbolt or solo flier due to being too daredevily for the Wonderbolts.

#55 2013-11-02 22:22:40

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

More G1 stuff abounds in MLP:FiM #12 and MLP:FiM Annual #1 (Woo! New annuals!)

MLP:FiM #12
"Knight Shade and the Shadowettes."

1383463_10103629367954445_416900798_n.jpg

MLP:FiM Annual #1:
In the restricted section of Canterlot Castle's Library a book entitled "Who was Megan?"

1390599_10103629412125925_1662469502_n.jpg

MLP Annual #1:
"Bring suggestions to Megan, Danny, or Molly"

576548_10103629426761595_313648148_n.jpg

Also I can't be sure but Danny seems to have a cameo in the stands on Page 41 of the Annual.

Not G1 related but I love this background bit with Mayor Mare and Cheerilee in #12

1383146_10103629344965515_167932190_n.jpg

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#56 2013-11-03 06:28:59

Spoilers for season 4:

the fourth episode of the season is titled "Daring Don't" and will be a Rainbow Dash heavy episode also revealing the author of Daring Do. Many so far have speculated it to be Twilight Velvet due to the references in the comic and other clues as to what Twilight's mom does, and that the comic people had early access to things about season 4 so that there wouldn't be any glaring contradictions or stories too similar between show and comic. However, it was revealed on the IDW forum that Andy Price, the artist of the neigh-anything arc did NOT use season 4 as a reference when he did the awards on the wall of the Sparkles' house, just something he did on his own because he wanted to put in something for the fans. This doesn't mean that Twilight Velvet ISN'T the author, but it also makes it that she isn't 100% confirmed. We may see a one off character as the author rather than the relative of Equestria's newest princess.

#57 2013-11-22 19:54:05

thepine
...I'd like to be a tree.

So discustion time....so is the comic canon anymore? EQD just posted the synapsis for S4E4 and the author of Daring Do does not seem to be Twilight Velvet anymore. Actually seems to be Daring herself judging by the colors and cape to hide the wings.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/11/p … ode-4.html

Not actually sure how I feel about this if it is the case. Was looking for a little more character development on Velvet other than just standing around in the back ground and getting turned into inanimate objects =/ Also really liked the idea that the comic was side stories but canon...put it a little above the rest of the fanfics in my mind.

Last edited by thepine (2013-11-22 19:55:08)

http://thepine.deviantart.com/
If Fluttershy falls in the woods does she make a sound?
153038_safe_rainbow_2_Bdash_applejack_photo_pony.png

#58 2013-11-23 08:32:44

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

thepine wrote:

So discustion time....so is the comic canon anymore? EQD just posted the synapsis for S4E4 and the author of Daring Do does not seem to be Twilight Velvet anymore. Actually seems to be Daring herself judging by the colors and cape to hide the wings.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/11/p … ode-4.html

Not actually sure how I feel about this if it is the case. Was looking for a little more character development on Velvet other than just standing around in the back ground and getting turned into inanimate objects =/ Also really liked the idea that the comic was side stories but canon...put it a little above the rest of the fanfics in my mind.

I personally go with the way Star Wars officially does canon with basic levels of canon the movies and live action being paramount and if new ones end up contradicting the comics then the Movie/Show continuity superceeds the comics in that instance.

They haven't officially said anything about how they connect continuity wise however an alternative is parallel/expanded continuity which is how some people view the G1 comics since in both cases there are bits where the comics have been informed by the show and show knowledge is required. Also this Velvet being Daring Do's author was a one panel implied thing in the background and not a major part of the comic so it really isn't that major of a hiccup.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#59 2014-01-15 21:09:02

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Speaking of Canon MLP:FiM #15 is interesting in that regard.

1464656_10103959855754245_706974939_n.jpg

The writers however don't seem to have been informed about the Daring Do episode... So Applejack has no idea who Ahuizotl is and a few other minor problems.

Also this cameo:

1557680_10103959945554285_1769512096_n.jpg

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#60 2014-01-22 19:01:33

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

Ok... My Little Pony: Friends Forever #1....

I really didn't like this one. First of all, not really a fan of the art style which is rather flat and lazy with 90% of the backgrounds being bright solid color giving the effect of ponies floating around in a sea of nothingness (that they sometimes blend into because the colors are so similar Ex: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/ … 89bd1a.png (Warning: possible spoiler)). The story is... well dull it kind of shambles on a bit until a case of mistaken identity somehow enrages a contestant (who looks like a recolored 'Pinkamina') into suddenly becoming a psychopath and attacking the competition like a supervillian with a freeze-ray while cackling loudly. And then she is stopped - the end.

My only real reaction to it immediately was 'WTF did I just read?' I don't know how they managed to combine dull and WTF but that is what it was like...

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#61 2014-02-06 23:21:32

Arcane Flame
I LOVE THEM!!!
Arcane Trotter

OK MLP:FiM #16 had an amazing blast from the past.

1604739_10104044100716665_318728470_n.jpg

G1 Minty, G1 Butterscotch, G1 Blossom, and G1 Snuggle.

Also pony versions of Daenerys Targaryen, River Song, and the War Doctor were running about.

BfG_SmButton.png

SG_Sig.png

#62 2015-11-08 15:02:09

Seiya-Meteorite

I know this thread's been empty a bit, but I've heard the comics really aren't canon to the show nowadays, and for the main comic series #25-35 excepting #29 suck while Friends Forever is still superior.

I do also like the G1 references in the comics too, they're very nice.

Quick reply

Write your message and submit

Board footer

Powdered by FluxBB